• smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I think Russia is expanding the scope of the conflict a wee bit
    View attachment 333125
    Well as long as they are not in our galaxy I see no problem.

intergalactic​

ĭn″tər-gə-lăk′tĭk​

adjective​

1. Being or occurring between galaxies.
    It is 10,000+ light years just to get to the edge of our galaxy. It would take those nukes a very long time to get here. Them being able to transports nukes out of the galaxy though....raises some questions about what technology they have,that we do not though.

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I'm reminded of how quickly the UK ships folded under attack by the Argies with Exocets. I would imagine that these boats have at least as much explosive as a current marine torpedo so one or two hits will probably put down anything the Russians have in the black sea. New tactics and weapons have to be responded to, I wonder if the Russians have something like the Phalanx that they could automatically slave to a target acquired by radar or sonar.
    Even the Phalanx I believe can't depress fire enough to engage a close in water-borne target

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I'm reminded of how quickly the UK ships folded under attack by the Argies with Exocets. I would imagine that these boats have at least as much explosive as a current marine torpedo so one or two hits will probably put down anything the Russians have in the black sea. New tactics and weapons have to be responded to, I wonder if the Russians have something like the Phalanx that they could automatically slave to a target acquired by radar or sonar.
    The US suddenly got very choosy with sending legitimate ASMs after that first big sinking.

My longtime suspicion has been that anti-missile systems at sea aren't anywhere near as good as everyone pretends they are, and won't actually stand up to full volleys of modern missiles. But the Brits were 40 years ago and the Russians are using probably 1970s Cold War tech in the Black Sea, so who really knows. Supposedly US ships are taking out Houthi drones reliably, but those aren't supersonic networked ASMs.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Nuke in space for EMP doesn’t seem like a particularly new thing. Honestly, I just assumed us and the Russians already had them up there. Maybe we need distracted from something?
    Optimum altitude for a HEMP is 18 to 50 miles, lowest possible stable orbit is just under 100 miles and even then would require enormous expenditure of propellant to counteract atmospheric drag

To be practical a HEMP type attack would have to be staged in a much higher orbit and called down to lower altitude before detonation. Less warning than a ground launch but would not be undetectable

What I've read indicates the warhead(s) would more likely be used to directly damage critical military space assets and little EMP would reach the ground

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Optimum altitude for a HEMP is 18 to 50 miles, lowest possible stable orbit is just under 100 miles and even then would require enormous expenditure of propellant to counteract atmospheric drag

To be practical a HEMP type attack would have to be staged in a much higher orbit and called down to lower altitude before detonation. Less warning than a ground launch but would not be undetectable

What I've read indicates the warhead(s) would more likely be used to directly damage critical military space assets and little EMP would reach the ground
    Much easier to loft one from the ground than to park one in orbit. On shorter notice, too.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    Much easier to loft one from the ground than to park one in orbit. On shorter notice, too.
    Probably true, out of my area of expertise. I just assumed that at some point over the years of “research” and ”satellite” launches, a few nukes sneaked their way into orbit to wait. Maybe not. I can see the value of knocking out military satellites, almost all of our precision weapons would become dumb bombs in a literal flash.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Probably true, out of my area of expertise. I just assumed that at some point over the years of “research” and ”satellite” launches, a few nukes sneaked their way into orbit to wait. Maybe not. I can see the value of knocking out military satellites, almost all of our precision weapons would become dumb bombs in a literal flash.
    There is some value in nuclear warheads for shooting down satellites and spacecraft. They are much less effective in a vacuum, though. They have splash damage, so you don't have to physically hit the target, but it's all radiation and heat. No blast.

Because of the way orbits work there isn't much reason to park them in orbit. From the ground you have a very wide envelope of what you can shoot at, because you don't need to match speed with the target, just hit it. Kinda like standing at the side of the road and shooting at a car on the highway, versus being in another car 500 yards behind and trying to shoot it. Plus, on the ground you can move your weapons around, hide them, service them, etc. Anything in orbit is basically circling the Earth on rails, visible to any idiot with radar or a telescope.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    There is some value in nuclear warheads for shooting down satellites and spacecraft. They are much less effective in a vacuum, though. They have splash damage, so you don't have to physically hit the target, but it's all radiation and heat. No blast.

Because of the way orbits work there isn't much reason to park them in orbit. From the ground you have a very wide envelope of what you can shoot at, because you don't need to match speed with the target, just hit it. Kinda like standing at the side of the road and shooting at a car on the highway, versus being in another car 500 yards behind and trying to shoot it. Plus, on the ground you can move your weapons around, hide them, service them, etc. Anything in orbit is basically circling the Earth on rails, visible to any idiot with radar or a telescope.
    Interesting. I wonder what all the noise the past few days is about then. I would assume that Russia knows all this as well.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Here seems good enough. Opposing Putin is almost as dangerous as having dirt on the Clintons.

Putin critic Alexei Navalny dead at 47, Russian officials say​

Navalny was being held at 'Polar Wolf' penal colony in Siberia​

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Here seems good enough. Opposing Putin is almost as dangerous as having dirt on the Clintons.

Crazy we are now resorting to defending a hard line communist who wanted to bring the soviet union back to life. He wanted the communist party to be the only party again....sigh.

Welcome to clown world.

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

Alexei Navalny didn't kill himself.

Top Bottom