• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I'm contemplating a 9mm Shield, so I borrowed a buddies. I could not get used to the trigger - it's got so much take up before it fires! When did S&W make the trigger changes?

The two shields I have were made in Set 2014 and Mar 2015. Both had significant take up. That is why I put the Apex trigger kits in. Don't get me wrong both were perfectly shootable with the standard triggers. But I like a better trigger in my handguns, especially if I plan to carry them.

maver1ck

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    107   0   0
    Nov 17, 2013
    NW indiana
    That Apex kit sounds like the bomb. I too don't like the stock trigger and that is what stops me from buying one. That and that the fact that I love glocks!

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    They've recently upgraded their triggers, something like 17 changes. That is why they feel better now.

Huh because the 40 was newer... But I will have to check out the new ones and see what I think. I don't have too much a problem with the old ones, so if they new are truly better I am sure i'll be pleased.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I actually really liked the slim grip. It allowed me to concentrate the majority of my grip force directly on the front and back strap. I think that's why I was so accurate with it and why muzzle flip was so low.

Carries very well, but the grip is a little too slender !

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I actually really liked the slim grip. It allowed me to concentrate the majority of my grip force directly on the front and back strap. I think that's why I was so accurate with it and why muzzle flip was so low.

I agree with your sentiment about learning to focus on the Shield's unique grip. I shoot my Shield as well as my M&P compacts or full sized models. When my son came home from Afghanistan last year, I was showing off the shield at 25 yards by toppling over bowling pins with every shot. He liked it so much that I decided to give him that one and went out to buy another for myself.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Shield is just an outstanding do-it-all gun.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    The slender shield is not so unique. It reminds me of a polymer Walter PPS. Except for the weight they feel similar in the hand. And of course the PPS has a much better trigger right out of the box. The shield is one of my favorite guns, but I had to have trigger kits put in them to make them my favorites.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Do you need to buy an Apex trigger kit with the shields like you need for the full size M&Ps ?

Well, that is subjective. I know people who shoot FS M&P's and they use the stock trigger. I have the Apex kit and trigger on my Shield and I really like it better than the factory trigger. I think it was worth it, especially since I got a smokin' deal on the set-up.

I have just the USB on my FS right now. I can't decide whether to go with the DCAEK, FFS or sell the pistol and buy a Sig.:)

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Do you need to buy an Apex trigger kit with the shields like you need for the full size M&Ps ?

Many people do use the Apex trigger systems. It has become a staple in the M&P handguns. The shield is perfectly functional out of the box. But it still is a M&P trigger. I have never found a M&P stock trigger that I could live with. Of course I could train myself to use one but it would take some training. Just my opinion.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART

I have installed quite a few of the various Apex trigger kits and combos, but all you really need to get a world-class trigger is the Apex hard sear. This along with a touch of polishing of contact points and it transforms any M&P into an entirely new gun.

Just install this little piece in less than 5 minute and you'll be amazed at the results. https://store.apextactical.com/WebDirect/Products/Details/191841

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I have installed quite a few of the various Apex trigger kits and combos, but all you really need to get a world-class trigger is the Apex hard sear. This along with a touch of polishing of contact points and it transforms any M&P into an entirely new gun.

Just install this little piece in less than 5 minute and you'll be amazed at the results. https://store.apextactical.com/WebDirect/Products/Details/191841

That's all I have in both of my M&P 9 FS pistols. I think they're fantastic. Not really any "reset" point, though. I don't care.

Top Bottom