S&W Bodyguard 380 for home defense (opinions welcome)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zjhagens

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    I think there is absolutely no reason to buy a bodyguard for HD. The only purpose of that gun is concealment as a pocket gun. For that, it is great. For anything else, pocket .380s are stupid. It's better than nothing, but why?? The caliber is not nearly as effective as others, the gun is snappy, it only holds 6 rounds, they're hard to shoot well, and the trigger pull is very heavy. So again... Why?

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Ruger P95. As long as the hand issue isn;t size. The P series have a chunky grip BUT...they can't be beat for the price. Made in Arizona. 15+1( for you free staters...) in 9MM. Picatiny rail. Easily under $300 used. Built like a tank.

Oh and you will likely find the version that is DA/SA. It will also likely have the safety/decocker. I am not sure they make any decocker only models ( like described above).

For the OP. The one caveat to this gun is the DA trigger pull is a little, but not crazy, heavy. Followups are about 3 or 4 lbs. I think. I have never researched the safety of keeping it "cocked and locked" to make the first shot SA. I would think this would be OK for home use. The rail is there for a light, etc. I'd ask a safety instructor or Ruger about the cocked and locked idea.

addictedhealer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Monroe County
    Home defense gun = shotgun, IMO

Pistols are not the best choice for defense... The reason many people rely on them is because they are portable, thats important when your walking around town, running errands, but if your talking strictly home defense, portability is irrelevant. Keep the .380 as a backup home defense gun, but he would really be better off with a pump action 12ga, or 20ga if recoil of 12ga is too much. Its hard to beat buckshot in the home defense role.

I completley disagree with you. Pistols especially fullsize autoloaders are the best for HD. High capacity than a shotgun, more mobile when searching your house. Doesn't take two hands to operate. Also you don't have that long barrel for somebody to grab and you can holster when need. If the firefight is outside the house then I'll agree with shotgun and AR.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    There is no reason to go searching your house if your goal is to protect your family. You gather them in the room that you have pre planned, and you stay there, trained on the door, and call the police. Your job is to protect your family, not pretend like the lead role in a made for TV movie. But its your life, so if you want to trade a defensive role, where you have the advantage, for an offensive role in a dynamic environment, where the advatage changes hands by the second, while your family sits in a room hoping you dont get killed and leave them with no one to protect them, then go ahead...

moosehead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the suggestions all.

this weekend I found out that his intention is to get his license, so the bodyguard makes more sense in that way. Unfortunately, he got to handle one for the first time this weekend, and it looks like the bodyguard is not the pistol he's looking for.

On a side note, his wife is completely against him getting a license, but that is another thread.

Thanks again. I now have a long list of other handguns to put on the "try out" list.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    It looks like maybe a smaller third generation Smith & Wesson semi-auto might be the ticket. They are very sturdy, will eat anything, made in America and you can get a 6906 if he wants double stack or a 3913 or CS9 if he wants a single stack. The prices of these, with a little searching, should not be prohibitive.

addictedhealer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Monroe County
    There is no reason to go searching your house if your goal is to protect your family. You gather them in the room that you have pre planned, and you stay there, trained on the door, and call the police. Your job is to protect your family, not pretend like the lead role in a made for TV movie. But its your life, so if you want to trade a defensive role, where you have the advantage, for an offensive role in a dynamic environment, where the advatage changes hands by the second, while your family sits in a room hoping you dont get killed and leave them with no one to protect them, then go ahead...

You are correct if you have the opportunity to all be in one room. What if I'm in a different part of the house than my family? Also my wife has a handgun on her bedside. She knows to take cover and aim at the door.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Of course there will will always be the chance you need to clear your house, but IMO, this is not what you should train for. You and your family should have a plan. A codeword, and you all run into the same room, and create a defensive position. Take a headcount and make sure everyone there. Its the best way to both protect your family, and ensure that no one accidentally gets shot, being mistaken for the intruder.

addictedhealer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Monroe County
    Of course there will will always be the chance you need to clear your house, but IMO, this is not what you should train for. You and your family should have a plan. A codeword, and you all run into the same room, and create a defensive position. Take a headcount and make sure everyone there. Its the best way to both protect your family, and ensure that no one accidentally gets shot, being mistaken for the intruder.

I have a 12 week old right now and could be sleeping in the bassinet, crib in another room or in the front room with my wife. That door comes open I want to be as mobile as possible. Different plans of attack for everyone. I see your point with the shotgun. I have one loaded up with 7+1 00 buck 12 gauge in my bedroom closet. If we are secure in our room ill grab the shotgun if I have time to hop up and make a move towards it. I like handgun because it sleeps next to me.

Webster-dl

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2014
    United States
    What about the Sig p238? Or the M&P Shield 9mm? The Shield especially is a slightly bigger gun for home-D, isn't too expensive (about the ballpark of the Bodyguard), and (from what I hear) is still svelte enough for CCW.

Although if he has an injured finger, a rifle or the shotgun may be the best option -- whatever he can operate most easily. Maybe an AR?

Ryno300

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Fly over country
    I carry a 380 often, but it is not my home SD choice. I would agree with the SR9 or SR9c recommendations (I have both) - less felt recoil, plenty of capacity and the price is right.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I completley disagree with you. Pistols especially fullsize autoloaders are the best for HD. High capacity than a shotgun, more mobile when searching your house. Doesn't take two hands to operate. Also you don't have that long barrel for somebody to grab and you can holster when need. If the firefight is outside the house then I'll agree with shotgun and AR.

Most folks, including those who clear houses for armed suspects as part of their occupation, would disagree. Capacity is overrated, and a shotgun can be topped off at any time. Feed the gun, and its never empty. A sling replaces a holster. Training and proper technique makes a barrel grab less of an issue, and a shotgun can be operated one handed as a rather famous FBI shootout can attest to.

IF you're willing to train, a shotgun is by far a superior weapon. If you're not, then use whatever you know how to use and accept the tradeoff you've made for simplicity.

Doug B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    I carry a 380 often, but it is not my home SD choice. I would agree with the SR9 or SR9c recommendations (I have both) - less felt recoil, plenty of capacity and the price is right.

I agree. before the boating accident, I had a Bodyguard and the SR9c. For home defense option only, go with the SR9c. It is a fantastic device. I had the opportunity to put a hundred rounds down the throat of a S&w Shield in 9mm this weekend. It's a very nice piece as well. A Shield may be in my future buying.

But, for home defense, 17+1 rounds with the large magazine, my vote is for the SR9c. Put a crimson trace on it for $1000 as well. Very nice.

Top Bottom