• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HiRoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Indianapolis East
    I was watching some sort of tactical show on the boob tube and they demonstrated a light with a strobe option. Worked incredibly well, attackers were completely disoriented by it. Switch to a constant beam with another button.I wouldn't mind having one, but I haven't researched any yet.

Erebus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Indy
    Thanks, I might scoop one up. There are a few other lights I want to look at as well. Not sure if a want a "side button" or get a light that has the button on the base of the light.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    I looked at a couple reviews for lights last night. I'm looking at getting a Dorcy 1w Metal Gear. You might check that out when you go too.

Erebus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Indy
    Here's a good review site for a ton of flashlights.
    Flashlight Reviews and LED Modifications

From what I've read you can't go wrong with the Rayovac Extreme 3w 2aa led. It's pretty reasonably priced too. I just picked up two of the newer Inova X0s.

haha Nick sent me that site last night and I have been looking at it all day :)

I have also heard good things about the Rayovac Extreme. How do you like that Inova?

pmpmstrb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    I haven't really used it that much but so far I like it. I can't really complain since Target had them priced wrong and I picked them up for $17 a piece instead of $42. I also just picked up the Rayovac Extreme 4w 3c light to keep in my truck for work. So far I like it. Another competitor with the 3c is the Lowes Task Force light. Personally I would try to stay away anything non-led. The technology now is just amazing. Xenon sucks batteries. Led is amazing on batteries.

If you haven't already check out candlepowerforums.com Before I buy a light in the stores, I write down the model number and come back and look it up there and on the flashlight review link that I posted.

Erebus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Indy
    Thanks! I upgraded my 2cell (C) Maglight to LED and it's awesome :) Just too big for the pocket haha

pmpmstrb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Thanks! I upgraded my 2cell (C) Maglight to LED and it's awesome :) Just too big for the pocket haha

At this point I am completely done with Mag-Lites. I'll keep the ones I have, but that's about it. Their leds are terrible. They have ****-poor heatsinking and efficiency and brightness decreases quickly after only 5 minutes or so. I am considering something like this though to make some use of them.

DIY Maglite c/d led quads @ 500+ lumens with Cree XRE and SSC P4's: lotsa pics!
    4D K2 Magmodding step by step with a megabyte of pics to show you how.
    Tutorial - 2D Mag with SSC P4 and a Micropuck

Erebus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Indy
    At this point I am completely done with Mag-Lites. I'll keep the ones I have, but that's about it. Their leds are terrible. They have ****-poor heatsinking and efficiency and brightness decreases quickly after only 5 minutes or so. I am considering something like this though to make some use of them.

DIY Maglite c/d led quads @ 500+ lumens with Cree XRE and SSC P4's: lotsa pics!
    4D K2 Magmodding step by step with a megabyte of pics to show you how.
    Tutorial - 2D Mag with SSC P4 and a Micropuck

Yeah I have had mine for about 7 years now...it stays in the car btwn the driver seat and the console.

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I was watching some sort of tactical show on the boob tube and they demonstrated a light with a strobe option. Worked incredibly well, attackers were completely disoriented by it. Switch to a constant beam with another button.I wouldn't mind having one, but I haven't researched any yet.

There may be others, but I know the Blackhawk Gladius has a strobe setting. I can see how it would be really disorienting.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    I ended up going with the Inova X1 for everyday carry. I got it for $20 at Target. It is built pretty tough, and is small enough to stay in my back pocket without being annoying. It is also powered by 1 AA battery, which I think is great. It keeps the size, weight, and cost to use it down. It has 4.5 Stars from Flashlightreviews.com, although I think this version is newer than the latest version that they have reviewed. Flashlight Reviews and LED Modifications

For the house and my truck I went with the Rayovac Sportsman Xtreme 4w 3c LED. After researching, you can't beat this light at this price. Only $25 at Meijer. FYI, if you're going to pick one up, I bought the last 3 at the 38th street store. ;)

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I ended up going with the Inova X1 for everyday carry. I got it for $20 at Target. It is built pretty tough, and is small enough to stay in my back pocket without being annoying. It is also powered by 1 AA battery, which I think is great. It keeps the size, weight, and cost to use it down. It has 4.5 Stars from Flashlightreviews.com, although I think this version is newer than the latest version that they have reviewed. Flashlight Reviews and LED Modifications

For the house and my truck I went with the Rayovac Sportsman Xtreme 4w 3c LED. After researching, you can't beat this light at this price. Only $25 at Meijer. FYI, if you're going to pick one up, I bought the last 3 at the 38th street store. ;)

I bought the Rayovac at Meijer today based on your comments. I have to say, I am astonished at how bright it is. I'm extremely pleased with it so far. I also went to Fry's and looked at the Inova X1, but I didn't care for any of the Inovas. It certainly had the right size for the pocket, but it just didn't seem very bright. I ended up buying a Coast Tac Torch (dual color-white+red, 3 AAA batteries). It comes with a "tactical sheath" which is a fancy word for "carrying case w/carabiner". The thing is almost as bright as the Rayovac.

Thanks for the recommendation. :thumbsup:

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    I bought the Rayovac at Meijer today based on your comments. I have to say, I am astonished at how bright it is. I'm extremely pleased with it so far. I also went to Fry's and looked at the Inova X1, but I didn't care for any of the Inovas. It certainly had the right size for the pocket, but it just didn't seem very bright. I ended up buying a Coast Tac Torch (dual color-white+red, 3 AAA batteries). It comes with a "tactical sheath" which is a fancy word for "carrying case w/carabiner". The thing is almost as bright as the Rayovac.

Thanks for the recommendation. :thumbsup:
    I looked at that same Coast light at Dick's last night. I've been driving around window shopping and looking at all kinds of lights. :): I was worried the X1 wasn't going to be bright enough, but I figured if I didn't like it I could just take it back. I took it down in the basement right after I got home and it worked nicely. I'm not taking it back anytime soon. I was looking for a light that is small enough to carry that also performs well. I also wanted decent output vs battery life. The X1 is at 75% battery at about 3.5 hours and 50% at almost 8.5 hours, all off of 1 AA battery. :thumbsup:

I would have bought either the XO or the XO3 if they weren't so pricey and a little smaller. I was looking for a smaller light for carry and was planning on using the bigger Rayovacs for heavy duty use.

Let me know what you think about the Tac Torch and I'm glad someone actually listened to what I had to say. :rockwoot:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I would have bought either the XO or the XO3 if they weren't so pricey and a little smaller. I was looking for a smaller light for carry and was planning on using the bigger Rayovacs for heavy duty use.

Let me know what you think about the Tac Torch and I'm glad someone actually listened to what I had to say. :rockwoot:

I wanted a much much brighter replacement for my 4D maglight but I didn't want to keeping buying flashlights and hoping for the best. Also, for the tac light, I wanted something fist-sized, rather than pocket-sized. The X1 would have been too small anyway, but even the other Inovas I looked at didn't seem very bright. So far, the Coast is an excellent replacement for my MiniMag. I'll let you know how the batteries seem to last. According to the package, it says "50 hours", but I'll believe that when I see it.

pmpmstrb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    I wanted a much much brighter replacement for my 4D maglight but I didn't want to keeping buying flashlights and hoping for the best. Also, for the tac light, I wanted something fist-sized, rather than pocket-sized. The X1 would have been too small anyway, but even the other Inovas I looked at didn't seem very bright. So far, the Coast is an excellent replacement for my MiniMag. I'll let you know how the batteries seem to last. According to the package, it says "50 hours", but I'll believe that when I see it.

From what I've seen anything is brighter than the Mags nowadays. I picked up a Rayovac 4w3c mid week and that convinced Ri22o to get one. Definitely not bad for the price. I'm thinking about swinging by Lowe's and checking out the 2c Task Force light. It is supposed to be a really tight competitor with the Rayovac.

bwframe said:
    Ri22o,
    People listen to you a lot more than you might think.

Fools, the whole lot of 'em.

Top Bottom