• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amallen1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I intend to get a Shield in the next couple of weeks... I am torn between .40 and 9mm. Which would you gentlemen recommend? I currently carry an XDm in .40, but I think maybe it would be beneficial to have a 9mm in the arsenal as well. Thoughts?

Great review!

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I haven't shot a comparison video, but I have shot the Nano and spent some time with it. I prefer the Shield for a few reasons.

When I'm shooting the Nano I can't get past the feeling that the gun is sitting way too high in my hand. For such a little gun, when it's in my hand I keep thinking "this girl has a big butt!". It's unbalanced feeling -- I prefer a pistol to sit lower in my hand, especially when I only have two fingers on the grip. With it riding so high in my hand it's harder to manage the recoil than if the center of bore sits lower in my hand.

The Shield gives you 7 or 8 rounds, the Nano gives you 6.

I prefer the sights on the Shield too. They're broad yet unobtrusive. The Nano's sights are good, but they take a more minimalist approach. The Shield's sight picture will be familiar to you if you're already a M&P owner.

A minor point is that I also prefer the disassembly method of the Shield. It's a simple, tooless method that is identical with the larger M&P. I dislike the "use a screw driver to rotate the disassembly pin" method (yes, you can use a case rim). Just give me a lever to flip so I can get on with business. :D Again, it's a minor point and certainly not a reason to avoid the gun.

I never was impressed with the Nano enough to buy one. I already had a 6 shot Kahr CM9 which sits better in my hand.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I intend to get a Shield in the next couple of weeks... I am torn between .40 and 9mm. Which would you gentlemen recommend? I currently carry an XDm in .40, but I think maybe it would be beneficial to have a 9mm in the arsenal as well. Thoughts?

Great review!
    I own exactly zero .40 S&W handguns. I've never cared for the caliber. It has neither the capacity of the 9mm nor the power of a .45 ACP yet it has more recoil than a .45 ACP. In real world shootings the .40 S&W doesn't out perform the 9mm, so why decrease your round count and significantly increase the recoil when there's no appreciable gain in performance?

So I'm the wrong person to ask. :D

amallen1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I own exactly zero .40 S&W handguns. I've never cared for the caliber. It has neither the capacity of the 9mm nor the power of a .45 ACP yet it has more recoil than a .45 ACP. In real world shootings the .40 S&W doesn't out perform the 9mm, so why decrease your round count and significantly increase the recoil when there's no appreciable gain in performance?

So I'm the wrong person to ask. :D

Fair enough.

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    Wait until you shoot it. :D

They gave me a free range pass when I bought it, too. If I didn't have my wife and kid with me, I woulda cashed in on that post haste.

EDIT: Did you find the magazines hard to engage? I just loaded up the 7 round with some Federal Hydrashock, and I really had to whack it to get it home. When empty, it locks up nice and easy. Maybe it just needs to be run a bit?

Last edited:

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    They gave me a free range pass when I bought it, too. If I didn't have my wife and kid with me, I woulda cashed in on that post haste.

EDIT: Did you find the magazines hard to engage? I just loaded up the 7 round with some Federal Hydrashock, and I really had to whack it to get it home. When empty, it locks up nice and easy. Maybe it just needs to be run a bit?

My buddy's does the same thing. The mag is hard to seat on a closed chamber, but easy to seat on an open chamber. I don't know if it has changed with time and rounds downrange.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008

Yup. If you load a full magazine into the pistol with the slide home, it takes a VERY solid whack to seat it. I believe the weapon is designed to be loaded with the slide locked to the rear and once the mag is seated you chamber a round, engage the safety and place it in your carry holster.

I had to check a few other pistols after discovering this quirk, like my CM9 and sure enough - the Shield is considerably harder to seat a loaded mag into the pistol with the slide closed.

minx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    SW Indiana
    I found it difficult to seat the mag as well. With the slide locked back is fine for loading at the range, but for 7+1 you got to shove it in closed. This is my carry method, most everyone I would think.

Dont lock the slide back with one in the chamber, then look to seat the mag with "greater" ease. You get 6+2, or something more stupid.

I know you were not implying this, but I wanted to clear up any confusion.

Top Bottom