• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    In accordance with INGO law, I will not advertise my business. I will refer to my business as "ahem" where appropriate.

I have had a recent rash of firearms that I have found loaded in my shop. I have thought about it, and have implemented a new "safety fee." Whether or not it is imposed...well...that's another story.

You all can use the purple where you see fit:

Ahem's respects the rights of armed citizens. Please keep your firearm holstered OR unloaded while in Ahem's. All firearms brought in for repair that are found loaded, will be subject to a $250 safety fee (non refundable). If a firearm is "broken" the firearm does not need to be loaded. Certain instances in which a live round is jammed in the chamber, etc are understandable and will be treated accordingly. However, having a fully loaded shotgun/rifle/pistol in for sights, camo pattern, and/or upgrades is completely unacceptable. It takes an extra second to check. If you don't check, and Ahem's does find it loaded, a $250 safety fee will be imposed before any work will be completed.

Thank you.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I wouldn't go w/ the fee... I would make a min 3 month wait until you start work if its found loaded... that should be motivation enough and not sound like you are trying to rip them off.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Why not have a fee of 3 months waiting that you can actually back up? Just my suggestion, take it or leave it, no skin of my back. I think you will have a lot of people talking about it after they leave your shop and 250 dollar fine being threatened wont lead to good talk.... a waiting period however might at least have some people saying " I can see why he has to do that"

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    One would hope this is posted instead of hitting a customer with a big surprise.

What's a bigger surprise? Getting charged a fee for handing someone a loaded firearm that you wanted worked on or the employee's surprise of been handed a loaded firearm?

I've had a couple people want me to clean their guns and look over them, have had a couple "empty" firearms presented. I've charged them a "hazard" fee because of it. Goes for muzzle loaders too.

Personally, it's your shop, your rules. Post your rules and enforce how you see fit.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I can't remember where I saw this, but I think a thread on here some time ago mentioned a shop somewhere in the state who had a goldfish-type bowl (like one you might put your business card in for a free lunch at a restaurant) labeled "ammo from unloaded guns". That might be helpful in getting the point across!

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    What's a bigger surprise? Getting charged a fee for handing someone a loaded firearm that you wanted worked on or the employee's surprise of been handed a loaded firearm?

I've had a couple people want me to clean their guns and look over them, have had a couple "empty" firearms presented. I've charged them a "hazard" fee because of it. Goes for muzzle loaders too.

Personally, it's your shop, your rules. Post your rules and enforce how you see fit.

I agree with this. if your a big enough dummy to hand someone a loaded firearm to work on that isn't suppose to be loaded you deserve some sort of penalty imo. a monetary cost is a small price to pay considering the price the smith has to pay thinking your weapons is unloaded! it's to easy to make sure your firearm is unloaded before you take it in for work! seriously.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    I completely understand the reasoning behind this, however find a fee to be a bit much. A waiting period similar to what Indygunworks said would be a great deterrent, as most people want their gun back as fast as possible when getting work done. If they don't want to take safety and the lives of others into consideration then they should have to wait a bit.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Your shop and your rules, but if you are wanting my opinion. I would find the $250 charge sign to be a turn off for me. I understand that your safety is very important. I would post that " Unholstered Loaded Firearms Or Guns Brought In For Repair Will Not Be Repaired And You Will be Asked To Leave"

You can let them come back at a later time if you wish or Ban them completely depending how the visit went. This falls in line with making them wait a while for repairs.

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    Again...this is more satire than an actual policy. Please note where I said use purple where necessary. If I were going to charge the fee it would be more like this:

"Huh...you're gun is loaded. Tell you what. That's pretty disrespectful and quite dangerous. I'm willing to educate you on your decision. If this happens again, we will have problems."

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    I can't remember where I saw this, but I think a thread on here some time ago mentioned a shop somewhere in the state who had a goldfish-type bowl (like one you might put your business card in for a free lunch at a restaurant) labeled "ammo from unloaded guns". That might be helpful in getting the point across!
    Tomlinson's in Churubusco. One of the members here works there. My apologies for not remembering her name.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    IANAL
    But, I don't think that would be possible without signing some sort of agreement.
    I mean, you could do it, and some people would abide by it.
    But there are too many people around who would take this to small claims.
    And possibly win.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Do what you must.
    It's not going to stop people from being stupid/dangerous.
    Hell, I think my LGS would need a 55 gal drum, not a fishbowl.
    Thank goodness all the guys check stuff.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I think one should have a big electronic sign up high and behind the counter, where all could see.......when this stuff happens you just hit a switch and "DUMB*SS" pops up in big flashing letters.

Energy bill would probably double though.

RedTJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Lafayette area
    I like the idea. Either charge a fee or like mentioned before, delay work.

However I'd like to suggest a name change - The Stupid Tax

This allows them some sort of setback while reminding them that it should hurt to make stupid decisions.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County

Tomlinson's in Churubusco. One of the members here works there. My apologies for not remembering her name.

JG
    aka the monkey with a gun

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    I'm not sure I'm following the problem. If I bring my firearm in for repair. Before a hand it over I clear it. Then the nice man behind the counter, clears it. If anyone hands me a gun, I clear it. Are you saying that you recieved firearms in your shop that no one including your employees bothers to clear? Maybe I'm just not understanding.

Top Bottom