• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I'm not sure I'm following the problem. If I bring my firearm in for repair. Before a hand it over I clear it. Then the nice man behind the counter, clears it. If anyone hands me a gun, I clear it. Are you saying that you recieved firearms in your shop that no one including your employees bothers to clear? Maybe I'm just not understanding.

That's not the issue, it's inconsiderate and dangerous.

What if the customer brings in a loaded firearm, round in the pipe, safety off, and he manages to let one fly? Hard telling how many gunsmiths have been shot because their customer brought in a loaded gun that "didn't work" but was "clear" and before the smith could verify for himself it was unloaded, he became the victim of someone's stupidity.

I've had more "unloaded" guns pointed at my head, heart, and nuts than I care to think about.

If you have a firearm or muzzle loader that's loaded and absolutely will not function and you can't even eject the live round out, it's one thing. It's also a courtesy to inform the person who's going to be working on your gun that there is a live one in the chamber.

But if the owner is too lazy or inconsiderate to clear their gun before handing it over to someone for work, there needs to be some repercussion to their actions

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    That's not the issue, it's inconsiderate and dangerous.

What if the customer brings in a loaded firearm, round in the pipe, safety off, and he manages to let one fly? Hard telling how many gunsmiths have been shot because their customer brought in a loaded gun that "didn't work" but was "clear" and before the smith could verify for himself it was unloaded, he became the victim of someone's stupidity.

I've had more "unloaded" guns pointed at my head, heart, and nuts than I care to think about.

If you have a firearm or muzzle loader that's loaded and absolutely will not function and you can't even eject the live round out, it's one thing. It's also a courtesy to inform the person who's going to be working on your gun that there is a live one in the chamber.

But if the owner is too lazy or inconsiderate to clear their gun before handing it over to someone for work, there needs to be some repercussion to their actions
    I understand what your saying. I just don't understand how a loaded gun gets past the employees. If I hand you a gun, what's the first thing your gonna do with it? I hope your gonna clear it. I just don't understand how nobody who works at the shop clears it before being sent to the back for service. Maybe a fine for the customer, and a new job for the employee.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I understand what your saying. I just don't understand how a loaded gun gets past the employees. If I hand you a gun, what's the first thing your gonna do with it? I hope your gonna clear it. I just don't understand how nobody who works at the shop clears it before being sent to the back for service. Maybe a fine for the customer, and a new job for the employee.

It's the unexpected surprise the employee gets from ejecting a live round. If someone brought in a gun to be worked on and while whoever was writing up a repair tag and a live round was ejected, I'd hope that a special note on the tag says "FIREARM WAS BROUGHT IN LOADED", to let whoever know to charge them a fee for not clearing it themselves

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    It's the unexpected surprise the employee gets from ejecting a live round. If someone brought in a gun to be worked on and while whoever was writing up a repair tag and a live round was ejected, I'd hope that a special note on the tag says "FIREARM WAS BROUGHT IN LOADED", to let whoever know to charge them a fee for not clearing it themselves
    I agree. Hopefully it didn't get to the writing up a repair slip part. If someone handed me a loaded gun to work on, soon as I cleared it I would be handing it back. You don't need people like that in your store. I just didn't get the gun getting past that point.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Would it be possible to only accept the firearm once it has been demonstrated that it is clear? Or upon finding the firearm is not clear have the owner come out to clear it (the inconvenience might prevent future occurrences)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I agree. Hopefully it didn't get to the writing up a repair slip part. If someone handed me a loaded gun to work on, soon as I cleared it I would be handing it back. You don't need people like that in your store. I just didn't get the gun getting past that point.

+1. Im not in the business of firearms, but I don't need that kind of customer. If you are going to be that negligent, I don't want to deal with you.

That ranks right up there with the guy who gets his whatever fixed, turns around and breaks it again due to ignorance, then comes back yelling that you didn't fix it right the first time.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Lots of customers are stupid/dangerous.
    They also have friends and family, and usually big mouths.
    Gotta be polite and professional, even when you shouldn't..........you get enough loaded guns pointed at you it gets to be "routine".
    Even some supposedly knowledgeable "regulars" flub it now and then.
    Amazing how many dipsh*ts are out there.

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    I like the idea, but $250 is too much. How about a big sign that informs customers that handing an employee a loaded gun for work incurs an automatic $100 donation to Eddie Eagle?

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    Again...this was merely a post for discussion...even for a chuckle. I'm NOT going to charge someone $250 because they handed me a loaded firearm. As many of you can attest, I'm a pretty laid back individual...I'd rather educate than charge. If it were a regular thing with a particular customer, I would probably tell that person I'm not interested in their business any more.

However, I have enacted any ammo I find becomes mine :-)

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Again...this was merely a post for discussion...even for a chuckle. I'm NOT going to charge someone $250 because they handed me a loaded firearm. As many of you can attest, I'm a pretty laid back individual...I'd rather educate than charge. If it were a regular thing with a particular customer, I would probably tell that person I'm not interested in their business any more.

However, I have enacted any ammo I find becomes mine :-)
    How boring

Any firearm that comes in loaded should just be forfeited to you. :):

Top Bottom