• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    It's your job to put Christianity and faith into the public view.

Not the government's.

But please don't count me in the public when you're doing your job of putting religion and faith into public view because I believe in Sasquatch more than I do whatever deity of your choosing.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    But please don't count me in the public when you're doing your job of putting religion and faith into public view because I believe in Sasquatch more than I do whatever deity of your choosing.

Are you implying that the suspension of the laws of the universe in favor of fairy tales isn't a basis of government for free men? Come on, nothing bad can come from the man carrying the nuclear football believing that he is being chased by a boogeyman.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County

You just put your own faith, or lack thereof, into public view. Why do you care if I do the same?

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Are you implying that the suspension of the laws of the universe in favor of fairy tales isn't a basis of government for free men? Come on, nothing bad can come from the man carrying the nuclear football believing that he is being chased by a boogeyman.

All I've got to say to this is, the boogeyman is real. Now I'm going to check all the windows and doors, load up a few shotguns, drink a case of Red Bull because I'm all paranoid.

You just put your own faith, or lack thereof, into public view. Why do you care if I do the same?

You're free to do whatever you want as long as you aren't causing harm to others. I wasn't meaning you specifically. If you want to stand on the street corner and preach your faith to everyone that walks past, have fun doing it. I simply don't want the government or individuals pushing their faith onto me (and I've had a PM in the past where someone was trying to do just that).

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

I didn't even know Sasquatch had a following. This adds a whole new dimension to those 'don't mess with Sasquatch' commercials. Those surely make him appear to be a vengeful whatever he is.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    All I've got to say to this is, the boogeyman is real. Now I'm going to check all the windows and doors, load up a few shotguns, drink a case of Red Bull because I'm all paranoid.

The likely republican nominee condemns your consumption of mind altering compounds.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I didn't even know Sasquatch had a following. This adds a whole new dimension to those 'don't mess with Sasquatch' commercials. Those surely make him appear to be a vengeful whatever he is.

Animal Planet...Finding Bigfoot. I'm hoping to join the team because I believe that there is a .000000000000000000000001% chance that if I were working with them, we'd find a Squatch.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Then why would do you have a problem with the idea of separating church and state? How does that drive Christianity out of the public view?

There is no such thing. Why would I want to support implementing such that would limit religious peoples' rights to participate in government? They have just as much right to influence government as agnostics, atheists, and sasquatch-ists. (They cannot create a federal 'state religion' though)

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    There is no such thing. Why would I want to support implementing such that would limit religious peoples' rights to participate in government? They have just as much right to influence government as agnostics, atheists, and sasquatch-ists. (They cannot create a federal 'state religion' though)

I don't think that taking away an individual's ability to participate in government is what anyone means when they discuss the distinction between church and state.

If that's what it means to you, then we are in agreement that it is unjust.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I don't think that taking away an individual's ability to participate in government is what anyone means when they discuss the distinction between church and state.

If that's what it means to you, then we are in agreement that it is unjust.

As you read these types of threads, they generally take on a tone such that many believe candidates that base their governing perspective on their religious beliefs as breaching this imagined impenetrable wall of seperation.

Last edited:

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    As you read these types of threads, they generally take on a tone such that many believe candidates that base their governing perspective on their religious beliefs as breaching this imagined impenetrable wall of seperation.

Only if they are attempting to impose values that go beyond protecting an individual's rights.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Only if they are attempting to impose values that go beyond protecting an individual's rights.

This is the question. Is that possible? My answer is, no. My rebuttal question would be, show me a society, at any point in history, that can make this happen. reconciling the unknown with mythology is a human pastime. Today's religion will be tomorrow's mythology. Unless of course, you still worship Zeus, Odin, or Thor. And even then...

Last edited:

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    This is the question. Is that possible? My answer is, no. My rebuttal question would be, show me a society, at any point in history, that can make this happen.

Is what possible? Is it possible for a religious person to hold office and not use it to push their religious values on others, beyond the imperative of protecting individual liberties?

I think so. There are plenty of Christians with libertarian beliefs. There's even one running for the GOP nomination as we speak.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Is what possible? Is it possible for a religious person to hold office and not use it to push their religious values on others, beyond the imperative of protecting individual liberties?

I think so. There are plenty of Christians with libertarian beliefs. There's even one running for the GOP nomination as we speak.

I'm stating that the two cannot be separated as long one or the other is practiced. I certainly rambled a bit in that post. :)

Top Bottom