• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    It looks like these are available in a few different models from the factory:

Precision Carbine 20" threaded w/ Accustock
    10 FCP 24" threaded w/ Accustock
    10 FCP 24" w/ break and HS Precision stock

These have 5R rifling and a 1/11.25 twist. They aren't listed on the Savage website. Consensus on the web seems to be that they are a short run for a distributor called Accusport.

Extended detachable box mags that fit both the PC and FCP are available from:
    Sharp Shooter Supply (9 round) http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/
    Darkeagle Custom (10 round) http://www.darkeaglecustom.com/products.html

General info on 5R rifling (from http://obermeyerbarrels.com/faq.html):

What does it mean when a barrel is said to be a "5R"?

5R is the form of rifling I developed for use in most target barrels and in many sporting barrels.
    These barrels have 5 grooves, and the lands have angular sides. I have observed that bullet jackets
    will deform such that they remain closer to the R-form lands than they will to the sharp-edged
    lands present in conventional-style rifling. This reduces powder fouling at the corners of the
    grooves. The angled form of the lands also helps to reduce jacket failures in quick-twist barrels.

Last edited:

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I guess I'll reply to myself. :):

Ended up "pulling the trigger" on a 5R Precision Carbine. Bud's went out of stock on the PCs, but I found them in stock at The Guns and Gear Store out of MN (who seem like great people to deal with, btw). I'm having it shipped to Tomlinson's and the lady there said she'd personally dealt with Guns and Gear in the past, so that give's me a good feeling.

I'm pretty excited as this is my first .308. I think I'll either stick a Weaver Tactical or a Vortex PST on it. No plans for a can just yet, but maybe someday.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    What's the appeal of the 1 in 11.25 twist barrel over a 1 in 10? I've always been under the impression that faster twist = stabalized heavier bullets more accurately = being able to shoot farther more accurately. Congrats on the gun, since it's a savage it's going to be crazy accurate.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    What's the appeal of the 1 in 11.25 twist barrel over a 1 in 10? I've always been under the impression that faster twist = stabalized heavier bullets more accurately = being able to shoot farther more accurately. Congrats on the gun, since it's a savage it's going to be crazy accurate.

I guess the 1/11.25 twist is optimized for 168gr bullets like the Sierra MatchKing. It should be a good fit with the Federal Gold Medal Match ammo, though I eventually plan to do my own loading.

I believe the Remington 5R barrels have the same (or very similar) twist rate. I'm not sure if there is any particular benefit to using such a twist rate with 5R rifling. The Remington 5Rs are listed as MIL-SPEC, so it's possible that Savage is using the same spec.

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Well if it's optimized for the 168 FGMM ammo then you should really be in luck. A lot of the heavy barreled savage 308's are 1/2" shooters out of the box anyway. Now with the special twist it should be that much better. I'll be looking forward to a full range report.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Actually the 11 twist is the optimium for the 168 and 175. The 10 twist will work OK, but is optimum for the heavier bullets.

The 13 twist is optimum for 150 and 155's.

The 5R was created by the legendary Boots Obermyer in Wisconsin. He has pretty much drawn back from civilian target shooting rifles because his company produces lots of barrels for the US military since the unpleasantries started in Mideast countries.

The 5R barrel is said to ease the transition of the bullet into the lands. It is a wonderful concept and Savage is to be commended fr making it into a production rifle.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I am seriously thinking about getting one of these once I get back to work........... like what I am reading on them ;)

Also take a look at their new model 10FCP. It has the detachable 10rd mags, and a threaded barrel all from the factory. Buds has them right now at $960. I was thinking about one of these maybe next year, but I may have to see how this new 5R turns out before pulling the trigger.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Here's mine;
    DSCF0803.jpg

DSCF0811.jpg

DSCF0805.jpg

DSCF0802.jpg

I went to Open Range in Crestwood, KY where they have an indoor 100 yard range, and here are some results:
    Hornaday 168gr
    HornadayMatch168grBTHP.jpg

Black Hills 168 gr
    BlackHills168grBTHP.jpg

and Federal GMM 168gr
    Federal168grBTHPSMK.jpg

I hope to get out this weekend and/or early next week to shoot it again. I got the Vortex PST from AA Optic (INGO member 42769vette, A&A Optics - INGunOwners) and it's a very good piece of glass. You should get with 42769vette before you put a new scope on; very knowledgeable and great prices.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    For anyone who may be searching, I updated the OP with additional and more accurate info.

Hey, that was ME! :rockwoot:

You folks are awesome, probably my favorite store around. :yesway:

Here's mine;

I hope to get out this weekend and/or early next week to shoot it again. I got the Vortex PST from AA Optic (INGO member 42769vette, A&A Optics - INGunOwners) and it's a very good piece of glass. You should get with 42769vette before you put a new scope on; very knowledgeable and great prices.

Yeah, I saw your thread, great minds think alike I guess! I ordered the same scope from 42769vette (actually I got the MOA version, because that is what he had in stock). Also ordered a Seekins base from SWFA, but they're back ordered, so I may cancel that order and go elsewhere.

I haven't decided what I want to do with that threaded muzzle for now...
    I think I might try to get a SAS QD brake with the idea of getting a suppressor when I can afford it.

Last edited:

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I ordered the same scope from 42769vette (actually I got the MOA version, because that is what he had in stock). Also ordered a Seekins base from SWFA, but they're back ordered, so I may cancel that order and go elsewhere.

I got a Badger from Midway at a really good price. In case your interested, on the 10PC a PST on a Badger 20 moa base with Vortex "low" rings has enough clearence to use Butler Creek lens caps. I was kind of stressing over the ring height since it seems like everyone measures from a different place.

Last edited:

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I've got her more or less complete for now.

Savage 10 PC 5R
    Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP MOA
    YHM 5C1
    Darkeagle Custom 10rd mag
    V-TAC sling

I have a Darkeagle extended mag release that I need to install, and I'll probably add an SSS bolt handle eventually (helps as I'm a lefty and I tend to reach over the top to work the bolt).

Still haven't shot it yet. I'm patiently waiting for a Lucas bore guide, before I break it in.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I've got her more or less complete for now.

Savage 10 PC 5R
    Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP MOA
    YHM 5C1
    Darkeagle Custom 10rd mag
    V-TAC sling

I have a Darkeagle extended mag release that I need to install, and I'll probably add an SSS bolt handle eventually (helps as I'm a lefty and I tend to reach over the top to work the bolt).

Still haven't shot it yet. I'm patiently waiting for a Lucas bore guide, before I break it in.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

turned out great, espicially the optics:D

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Nice!!!:rockwoot:

Let us... well, especially me, know how the Dark Eagle mag works. I've heard good things, but I'd like to hear it from an INGO member before I drop $90 on a mag.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    turned out great, espicially the optics:D

Thanks! And thanks for the great service!

Nice!!!:rockwoot:

Let us... well, especially me, know how the Dark Eagle mag works. I've heard good things, but I'd like to hear it from an INGO member before I drop $90 on a mag.

I've cycled a number of rounds through the mag, and have no major complaints. He uses OEM Savage top metal, so fit is a non issue. There are only a couple of things that I've noticed so far that may be worth noting:

The lips on the top metal are just strong enough to hold that 10th round in the mag. Darkeagle sends a letter that explains you may need to tweak the top metal to get enough pressure to hold the 10th round in. I've found that if you try to load the mag with the bolt open, a round will pop out (even after some tweaking). However, if you load the mag with the bolt closed, the first round stays seated cycles just fine. It may be more practical to load 8 or 9 rounds at a time.

The second issue is that the metal box is quite resonant, and things tend to rattle around a bit, especially when there is an odd number of rounds in the mag. I thing I might stick on a few pieces of dynamat or similar to deaden the sound.

I've also installed the extended mag release, and there really isn't much to say other than it is quite easy to install and makes mag removal a breeze.

All in all, it's a quality item. I think it would be difficult to make a better mag using the Savage top metal. The price is a little on the high side for sure...probably in the same realm as paying $150 for a Badger base.

Top Bottom