• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    whats good barrel for a stevens 200 short action i want to stay with 308 or 260 creedmoor i want to build a practical target rifle, something you can carry around but still good enough for long range stuff, and just out of curiosity will a 300 wssm fit in the short action?

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Criterion, Light Varmint Contour, from Jim Briggs @ Northland Shooter Supply. My 223AI is a LV Criterion and I absolutely love the length & contour; I'd guesstimate the weight at that length around 3lb.

I think you mean 300 WSM? Yes, that will work in a Savage short action if you can find a short action magnum bolt head. You might run into an OAL issue with heavy/long bullets, but a centerfeed short action (4.41" action screw spacing) has a blind magazine at least 3.00" long.

Factory Savage WSMs have a "large shank" action, but the very first models came with "standard shank" actions and lots of folks have built WSMs, SAUMs, RUMs and even 338 Edges on standard shanks without any safety concerns.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    Criterion, Light Varmint Contour, from Jim Briggs @ Northland Shooter Supply.

I think you mean 300 WSM? Yes, it will work in a Savage short action if you can find a short action magnum bolt head. You might run into an OAL issue with heavy/long bullets, but a centerfeed short action (4.41" action screw spacing) has a blind magazine at least 3.00" long.
    yes that what i meant i was thinking about that caliber for a long range hunting gun 300 wsm ok. wouldn't i need the magnum barrel lug as well?

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    A recoil lug is a recoil lug...you can use a factory pressed lug but if you are going to spend $300 on a new barrel might as well spend another $30 on a thicker, stainless ground recoil lug.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    so if im going to reload whitch is abetter choice the creedmore or the Remington?

Ask 10 people that and you get 5 on one side and 5 on the other. I use the 260 remington because The credmore was not a option when I built my rifle and bought dies.

If I were to do another rifle I would go 260 because the diffrences (if any) do not add up to new dies and brass

If I can help talk you threw some of this stuff your working threw my phone is on me at all times. 765-580-0986

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    Ask 10 people that and you get 5 on one side and 5 on the other. I use the 260 remington because The credmore was not a option when I built my rifle and bought dies.

If I were to do another rifle I would go 260 because the diffrences (if any) do not add up to new dies and brass

If I can help talk you threw some of this stuff your working threw my phone is on me at all times. 765-580-0986
    is 260 easier to get components for since its been around a while vs 6.5 being fairly new?

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    so if im going to reload whitch is abetter choice the creedmore or the Remington?

Six of one, half a dozen of another. They both give about the same performance.

I have two 260s, a 700 Mountain LSS bought over a decade ago that I've been hunting with the whole time...the other a Savage wearing a Criterion barrel that I built because I was already familiar from the 260. I positively love the caliber.

But if I was starting fresh into a 6.5 chambering, I'd choose 6.5 Creedmoor for a couple reasons:

1. Brass. Lapua makes 260 brass but it runs $100+ per 100 pieces, and RP is decent but primer pockets don't like hot loads. Hornady Creedmoor brass is reasonably priced around $35 per 50 pieces, and reported to be very good quality. I've also seen Creedmoor brass in local shops, but never seen 260 brass outside a handful of Cabelas stores.

2. Factory match ammo. 140gr Amax factory loads are ~$25/box. 260 ammo is more expensive, with Federal's Gold Metal Match coming soon priced at nearly $40/box.

Creedmoor's OAL is shorter, even with longer bullets, which makes it a bit more mag-length friendly. Its also a touch more efficient, maybe burning a half-grain less powder for the same speed than a 260.

Again...flip a coin.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    308 is everywhere that is very true, do you think 260 rem could take a elk down at western hunting ranges?

If you put a quality bullet where it needs to go? Sure. The 6.5x55 Swede has been killing moose for over a century and Mauser velocities are way lower than either the Creed or 260.

260 can kill any game animal just as dead as any 308.

IMO, magnums are grossly overrated.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    whats good barrel for a stevens 200 short action i want to stay with 308 or 260 creedmoor i want to build a practical target rifle, something you can carry around but still good enough for long range stuff....

...and just out of curiosity will a 300 wssm fit in the short action?

Mario at M&S had at least one new factory take off Hog Hunter .308 barrel this morning. His prices are right on them and you might even be able to talk him into helping you do the swap if you haven't before.

Don't put anything on the WSM/RUM case on a small shank Savage. Savage changed the barrel tenon diameter for a reason.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Six of one, half a dozen of another. They both give about the same performance.

I have two 260s, a 700 Mountain LSS bought over a decade ago that I've been hunting with the whole time...the other a Savage wearing a Criterion barrel that I built because I was already familiar from the 260. I positively love the caliber.

But if I was starting fresh into a 6.5 chambering, I'd choose 6.5 Creedmoor for a couple reasons:

1. Brass. Lapua makes 260 brass but it runs $100+ per 100 pieces, and RP is decent but primer pockets don't like hot loads. Hornady Creedmoor brass is reasonably priced around $35 per 50 pieces, and reported to be very good quality. I've also seen Creedmoor brass in local shops, but never seen 260 brass outside a handful of Cabelas stores.

2. Factory match ammo. 140gr Amax factory loads are ~$25/box. 260 ammo is more expensive, with Federal's Gold Metal Match coming soon priced at nearly $40/box.

Creedmoor's OAL is shorter, even with longer bullets, which makes it a bit more mag-length friendly. Its also a touch more efficient, maybe burning a half-grain less powder for the same speed than a 260.

Again...flip a coin.

Did you ever try lapua brass? To me lapua came to the table to late in the game. I tried rp brass and ruined everyone with loose primer pockets. I bought nosler (Lapua wasnt making brass yet) for 40 bucks per hundred and have not had a once of trouble yet. Now I have 500 brass and lapua starts making it and Im not changing, I was just curious.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    Could it? YES

Is it legal? most states require 27 cal or above.
    27 and above i didn't think about that. well that sounds like a excuse for another rifle in 300win mag but one thing at a time. any recommendations on stocks, triggers and can you please tell me what "truing" a bolt action is or what blueprinting a action is.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    27 and above i didn't think about that. well that sounds like a excuse for another rifle in 300win mag but one thing at a time. any recommendations on stocks, triggers and can you please tell me what "truing" a bolt action is or what blueprinting a action is.

Call me 765-580-0986. I could talk to you about it in 10 minutes, or spend days typing

Top Bottom