• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rkidd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2014
    Clayton
    I have recently opened a small shop in Clayton and I am thinking about getting a couple of SCCY pistols to retail. Does anyone have an opinion of them?

rkidd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2014
    Clayton
    1. Not sure how the text color got messed up but here to is in a more contrasting color. I have recently opened a small shop in Clayton and I am thinking about getting a couple of SCCY pistols to retail. Does anyone have an opinion of them?

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I had a CPX-1 about 4 or 5 yrs ago. (W/ the safety) -
    It was "OK" but "not good" ... here is why:

Safety level had issues;
    1st broke; 2nd would go "on safe" on recoil after every shot, unless I continuously tightened the screw. (it would work its way loose).
    Also - mag released very easily.
    It became habit when carrying - to get out of car, grab mag from seat where it fell out, reinsert.
    several times it got bumped loose by 'nothing' ... picked up mag from floor.
    A 'feather touch' would drop the mag.

I've heard these got better in later models; but no experience.
    If I'd had another $50 to $75 - I'd have bought a better/different first EDC, instead of this one.
    and I up graded in less than a year; but this became a part time carry for my wife until she upgraded.

It shot fine otherwise - althought I personally despise (that might be putting it mildly) - DAO triggers like this.
    It (Trigger) was however better than the nearly identical P11 Keltec's I've tried.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Know a few people that have the CPX-2 (no external safety). With the long DAO trigger put, an external safety (CPX-1) isn't really needed, but some prefer it and some LE departments might require it.

They've had good luck with them so far. I would agree the trigger pull is lighter than the KelTec P-11, otherwise the handguns are nearly identical.

One advantage to the KelTec P-11 is the availability of flush-fitting +2 magazines, giving a total of 12+1 for the KelTec. An option SCCY currently doesn't offer.

DAO triggers (either semi-auto or revolver) aren't for everyone. Depends on personal preference, and experience. Those that were 'raised' on double-action revolvers will likely do fine with them, while SA (1911, etc.) or striker fire (Glock, etc.) fans will find them too 'difficult'.

I started out on revolvers, and carry primarily DA-type handguns, so for me it's irrelevant and has not 'hindered' the 'shootability' of the gun in any manner.

SCCY appears to be gaining a fan base, at least from those that don't mind the DAO trigger. Like the KelTec P-11, the SCCY's offer a high magazine capacity in a 9mm handgun about as small as is practical and usable.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I have one of the CPX-1's. I fought the safety coming on after occasional shots for a while. Found on the SCCY website that they had a safety delete kit. They sent me one and no more issues with the safety. FWIW, I'm not very accurate with mine. My Ruger P-95 holds much better patterns for me. The SCCY has never failed in any way other than FTE on my first handloads. They wouldn't cycle in any of my other 9mms either.
    Only real issue is the trigger guard chews/chafes the hell out of my trigger finger if I shoot it a lot. Have not figured out that issue yet. Mine stays in my truck for those times I am not carrying on my hip.

Matt

USA#1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    In the forest
    My brother has one of those bought brand new. He has had to send it back four time now because it keeps breaking. I do not trust them at all.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    they're ok for the price point. (My bro in law owns one, I do not)
    however, there are equal & better guns within $50 of what I usually see these going for.
    I'd rather pick up a Canik or SAR or another turkish gun over the SCCY (admittedly, they're bigger in size)
    Better yet, how about an LC9

Rockbear78

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2013
    Westfield
    had mine over a year now, in that time my step dad has sent his new fancy ruger to the factory 4 times for repair, my little cpx-2? just keeps on eating up the 9mm at the range on a weekly basis without a hitch. Ive recomended these to anyone ive come across and will keep doing so.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Is your target demographic those who are unlikely to plunk down $500 + for a new handgun? If so - then stocking SCCY may not make sense, as your customers are going to want better products.

If your target demographic can't afford $500 + on a new handgun - then you should stock them, Taurus, DB, etc etc.

Tomc1947

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    YODER
    I've had 2 of them. They are OK for a inexpensive pistol, but as others have said, do some shopping and for the same money, there are alternatives. That said, if I come across another for the right price(less than 200), I'd think about it.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    I bought one CPX2 4/5 months ago. Now have 100's of rounds thru it without the first problem. I shoot mostly reloads with cast bullets.

Liked the first one so much I got a 2nd one, the CPX1 with the safety and got it in the 2 tone version. Yet to have the 1st issue with it either.

Others may have different thoughts, they are inexpensive, but then inexpensive can bring value. Cheap is a whole different ballgame. Other manufactures have problems and issues, nothing is perfect.

Am I satisfied? YUP.

ndbbm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2011
    1. Not sure how the text color got messed up but here to is in a more contrasting color. Ihave recently opened a small shop in Clayton and I am thinking about getting a couple of SCCY pistols to retail. Does anyone have an opinion of them?

Where in Clayton is the shop located?

Rooze1986

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 26, 2014
    NWI
    had mine over a year now, in that time my step dad has sent his new fancy ruger to the factory 4 times for repair, my little cpx-2? just keeps on eating up the 9mm at the range on a weekly basis without a hitch. Ive recomended these to anyone ive come across and will keep doing so.

There is just something about low cost firearms for personal protection that would make me hesitant about buying one. I have never shot one and they look like better quality than a Hipoint. But if it comes down to a couple hundred bucks, I'm sticking with Ruger, Smith and Wesson and Glocks.

Tomc1947

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    YODER
    There is just something about low cost firearms for personal protection that would make me hesitant about buying one. I have never shot one and they look like better quality than a Hipoint. But if it comes down to a couple hundred bucks, I'm sticking with Ruger, Smith and Wesson and Glocks.

IMHO, there is a difference between "low cost" and "cheap". SCCY's are a low cost gun, but a good value. They are reliable, well made and SCCY has some of the most responsive(to customers)customer service in the industry. Cheap, IMHO are guns like Davis, Cobra, Jeminez.......

Rooze1986

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 26, 2014
    NWI
    IMHO, there is a difference between "low cost" and "cheap". SCCY's are a low cost gun, but a good value. They are reliable, well made and SCCY has some of the most responsive(to customers)customer service in the industry. Cheap, IMHO are guns like Davis, Cobra, Jeminez.......

I strayed away from using cheap as the gun doesn't look cheap. Not to mention I don't want to offend any current owners. I know I tend to get a little defensive when someone knocks a firearm I have trained with and know to be reliable. Would you consider their customer service on par with say Ruger?

Top Bottom