• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    That's one thing that bothers me about Elcan scopes. I'm sure they're durable and strong and the glass is clear, but with the adjustments being made in the mount, I just found it odd. The scope is more sealed but it's still weird

Gun Chooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jan 15, 2015
    Indianapolis
    So warne maximas and a 20 moa base. Is there a steel base somewhere between the egws and badgers out there? I looked at badger ordinance and you're talking 150 for the base alone.

spoke78

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Hancock County
    This is a great thread on the basics! I've learned of a few more products and am also in the market for changing the glass on my 700 sps .308. How do you know what your moa is on a scope? product specs or calculated based on what?

not always. There are a lot of scopes being produced today with 30-40 moa travel. If you buy a good scope it never hurts to have 20 moa. If you buy one with 30 moa travel your rifle won't zero closer than 200 yds.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    This is a great thread on the basics! I've learned of a few more products and am also in the market for changing the glass on my 700 sps .308. How do you know what your moa is on a scope? product specs or calculated based on what?

The fastest and easiest way is to read the specs and look for internal travel. Keep in mind those specs are estimates, the only real way of knowing is to test it on your scope. Some scopes are "pessimistic" on their spec sheet, some are "optimistic" on their spec sheet, some are flat out liar's. Most will be within 10% of there advertised spec, but it also breaks down to "does your scope track".

Obviously I'm biased, but if your in the market for changing glass, IMO your best served to call me, and follow my lead on the right product.

Gun Chooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jan 15, 2015
    Indianapolis

Manufacturer specs from what I've seen. I know it lists this detail for the previously recommended scope on the vortex site.

spoke78

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Hancock County
    I have already been following/lurking you brother! Just haven't tried to waste any of your time until I can pull the trigger with the $$$. lol I have been eyeing the Viper pst 6-24. EGW 20moa base. Burris XTR rings. I ussually shoot out 3-400 yds and want to get out further. I'm currently setup on the stock 700 bases, unsure of rings and a Cabelas Multi Turret Pine Ridge 6-18x40 scope. I have been happy shooting this for the past 5 years but I want to improve the setup now.

The fastest and easiest way is to read the specs and look for internal travel. Keep in mind those specs are estimates, the only real way of knowing is to test it on your scope. Some scopes are "pessimistic" on their spec sheet, some are "optimistic" on their spec sheet, some are flat out liar's. Most will be within 10% of there advertised spec, but it also breaks down to "does your scope track".

Obviously I'm biased, but if your in the market for changing glass, IMO your best served to call me, and follow my lead on the right product.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I have already been following/lurking you brother! Just haven't tried to waste any of your time until I can pull the trigger with the $$$. lol I have been eyeing the Viper pst 6-24. EGW 20moa base. Burris XTR rings. I ussually shoot out 3-400 yds and want to get out further. I'm currently setup on the stock 700 bases, unsure of rings and a Cabelas Multi Turret Pine Ridge 6-18x40 scope. I have been happy shooting this for the past 5 years but I want to improve the setup now.

With that scope's internal travel I say do the 20 MOA. You can go up to 35ish MOA with that scope and still maintain a 100 yd zero.

The flip side to the canted base debate that folks don't think about is the optical center. One of the main reasons to go with a 20 moa base is so you spend the most time shooting in or as close as possible to your optical center where all scopes preform the best.

Dont ever feel like your wasting my time (unless you are a optics dealer and are asking for a customer of yours which happens alot). It makes much more sense for you to call me and we spend 10 minutes talking about things, vs you spending hours combing the internet getting some good info, some bad.

Gun Chooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jan 15, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Vette what would your opinion be on the diamondback hp 4-16x44 for the applications were discussing. I've been browsing the vortex site and this fits the budget a bit better than the viper you previously mentioned.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Vette what would your opinion be on the diamondback hp 4-16x44 for the applications were discussing. I've been browsing the vortex site and this fits the budget a bit better than the viper you previously mentioned.

It would work, but the turrets are not nearly as good.

I would come back with the 6.5-20x44 Viper. Plenty of travel, 30MM tube, not the best turrets in the world, but better than the diamondback, and easily usable, and priced cheaper than the Diamondback. They were discontinued, and I have a few left priced at 350 in the BDC reticle.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Instead of settling for less I'll probably hold out for a bit and save for the viper hs. Looks like for the price it's a much better value

There is NO better value on the market than the scope I mentioned. It is literally the best deal I've seen in my years doing this job. If you find you want to upgrade later, you will always find a use for a scope like this at the money it cost you.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Regardless with what you go with, I would use the same material for both your rings and base. The reason is the materials will expand and stress at the same rate. Aluminum rings on a steel base is not as bad as vice versa, but I would still go with aluminum / aluminum or steel / steel.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Regardless with what you go with, I would use the same material for both your rings and base. The reason is the materials will expand and stress at the same rate. Aluminum rings on a steel base is not as bad as vice versa, but I would still go with aluminum / aluminum or steel / steel.

Ive heard not to use steel rings on aluminum bases for years, but in the hundreds if not thousands of times Ive done it I have yet to have 1 issue doing it.

Gun Chooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jan 15, 2015
    Indianapolis
    TPS looks like a solid option, if i go that far I'd probably spend an extra 50 bucks to get the best though. The whole budget concept sucks, a guy wants to save a little bit by making a few sacrifices, but not leave himself coming up short all at the same time. I think i should post a thread about asking how to come up with more gun funds instead, and eliminate this whole budget crap.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    TPS looks like a solid option, if i go that far I'd probably spend an extra 50 bucks to get the best though. The whole budget concept sucks, a guy wants to save a little bit by making a few sacrifices, but not leave himself coming up short all at the same time. I think i should post a thread about asking how to come up with more gun funds instead, and eliminate this whole budget crap.

I've never regretted saving up for the best I could justify buying.

Top Bottom