• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Somewhat unrelated but do any of you guys use a thread lock of any type for the screws securing the scope base or rings?

I do, and believe it doesn't hurt anything. But it's probably not necessary if torqued to the manufacturers specs. That said, just barely even coat the threads. People tend to WAAAAAYYYYY over do it with thread lockers.

spoke78

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Hancock County
    I use the purple loctite, medium duty I believe. I think it was recommended for firearms. I'm not sure of the numbers on the bottle since it seems to be misplaced right now.....

Somewhat unrelated but do any of you guys use a thread lock of any type for the screws securing the scope base or rings?

Gun Chooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jan 15, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I've recently started using the blue lock tite on my guns but was unsure if it was necessary. Is the purple more or less aggressive than the blue? I did learn the hard way that red is a big no no if you have plans of removing the screws...ever.

spoke78

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Hancock County
    My understanding was that I sue blue on threads 3/16 and larger. I use the purple on the smaller stuff. Loctite 222 is what I have. Google it and you will find it is common with firearms, front sights and scope mountings.

I've recently started using the blue lock tite on my guns but was unsure if it was necessary. Is the purple more or less aggressive than the blue? I did learn the hard way that red is a big no no if you have plans of removing the screws...ever.

Gun Chooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jan 15, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Thought about creating another thread but figured I'd have an answere within a few posts...all this talk has caused me to scrape up some funds and jump to buying a scope before the rings and base. I'll be contacting Vette in about a week to pull the trigger on the viper hst 4-16x44. My next question is, should I go moa or mils on the reticle/turrets? I did a search and learned a little. It looks like the the popular thing is to keep the turrets and reticle the same format. It also looks like it doesn't matter much which method is used, but as a beginner with no prior knowledge of either, is one preferred? Is one more common than the other and therefore easier to learn from others?

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I like to keep things as simple as possible. Thanks

No problem. The reason I find it simpler is this:
    -A minute of ange is 1/60th of a degree
    -A milliradian is 1/1000 of a radian.
    Familiarize yourself with both, but I find dividing / multiplying is much easier with milrads. Both can be used in US standard or metric units, because they are ways to measure an angle. If you're open to using metric units though, chances are you won't even need a calculator when ranging in mils.

Gun Chooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jan 15, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for all the the input everyone. Pretty pumped that my viper hst mil/mil is on its way from vette. GREAT customer service I might add. I'll post some pics and maybe a range report after I get it all together.

Top Bottom