• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    The ones I have handled seem fine. Another good value priced option is the Ruger 9E.

If you have your heart set on a Glock 19 I would keep your eyes open. I just snatched a like new, pristine Glock 26 for $450. There are a lot of used Gen3 Glock 19s running around out there. With the availability of Glock mags and holsters it might end up costing you less in the long run. My only fear with used guns are that somebody may have bubbafied them a bit. That is why I recommend buying new for first time buyers.

Now really is a good time to buy polymer, striker fired handguns. The market is soft. Smith and Wesson is running a deal with 3 free magazines for an M&P purchase. Not a discount on the gun but $90 worth of magazines. That is a pretty good incentive.

What does bubbafied mean?

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Roll it in glitter :dunno:

But seriously, the SD Smith's are good reliable guns. Trigger is not very good, but you can remedy that with either a trigger job, trigger kit, or practice/dry fire. The SD's aren't turds. They are good budget guns.

Certainly, they lack something to be desired when compared to the $450-700 price range bracket (M&P, XDM, PPQ, VP9, etc...), but the SD series can be had for $275 shipped on GunBuyer. And for that price, you get a good reliable gun.

Now, a Hi-point 916.....That is a turd. No amount of glitter can fix it.

You can't polish a turd.

ShadeAngel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2012
    Off the Grid.
    One thing I liked about my SD9VE when I bought the APEX trigger for it is that the trigger wouldn't fit my gun. Apparently there were a few runs of the SD9VE where it wouldn't allow the striker to fall correctly. I called APEX up and asked them why my gun wouldn't fire, they promptly asked what my S/N was and I guess I fell into that category of SD9VEs that it wouldn't fit right. Most people would be utterly pissed off, after talking with the rep he told me to file the back of the trigger a little, test it, and then repeat if necessary. It ended up that I now have a (more or less) trigger stop on my gun thus making the overall travel MUCH shorter. I really liked that, lol. All in all, the gun only has one downfall and that is the trigger, after the spring kit and trigger install I don't think that's a problem at all, but that's up to you to decide if it's worth the extra effort to get it where you may feel like you need it to be.

tk71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    ECI
    I don't know about the smith but there are plenty of guns in your price range that are great guns. I have a gen 3 glock 19 mine cost 500 plus tax and I have no complaints great all around pistol no upgrades necessary for me.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    In the S&W line when Glock entered the stage S&W came out with the Sigma (a clone) and it sucked. The SD9VE is a next gen from that and solid. A Ruger SR9 shoots well too. I still like the S&W 5900 series though.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    You can get a sd9ve for $275 shipped. Add $15 for a transfer, and you're at $290 out the door. That's a much lower price point than a glock. If the OP has $500+ to spend, that opens up a lot of options in a higher end category of more premium striker fire hand guns (PPQ, m&p, xdm, vp9, etc...).

I don't know about the smith but there are plenty of guns in your price range that are great guns. I have a gen 3 glock 19 mine cost 500 plus tax and I have no complaints great all around pistol no upgrades necessary for me.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    IMO if the OP has a $500ish budget I would go with the SD9VE and use the rest of the money on ammo, extra mag, gun and mag holster, gun belt. Makes more sense to me.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Pretty much everything has been covered upthread, but it was my moms first purchase and that thing has been an absolute champion as far as reliability. It took her a bit of dry fire practice, but she became rather accurate with it in a few weeks. I've shot and enjoyed it quite a bit. My only nitpicks are of course the trigger, easily remedied. A couple cosmetic issues like that ugly square "school bus" with a sight on it but that is no big deal. And a very narrow grip, IMO.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Not it everyone wants to carry cocked and locked (SA only). You have to either train to switch off the safety (preferred) or train to cock the gun before using (not typically preferred).

And not everyone wants to deal with DA/SA as you've got a DA pull before you start pulling SA. That, or you have to deal with the same issues as above (SA only).

In the same theme of this post, not everyone wants to carry a striker fired gun.

It's all personal preference, and there's trade offs to each design. Personally, I'll stick to striker fired handguns for my carry guns.

Enough with this striker fired business. For $50 more buy a CZ P07 and make it SAO.

Grouchyboat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2014
    Greenfield
    One thing I liked about my SD9VE when I bought the APEX trigger for it is that the trigger wouldn't fit my gun. Apparently there were a few runs of the SD9VE where it wouldn't allow the striker to fall correctly. I called APEX up and asked them why my gun wouldn't fire, they promptly asked what my S/N was and I guess I fell into that category of SD9VEs that it wouldn't fit right. Most people would be utterly pissed off, after talking with the rep he told me to file the back of the trigger a little, test it, and then repeat if necessary. It ended up that I now have a (more or less) trigger stop on my gun thus making the overall travel MUCH shorter. I really liked that, lol. All in all, the gun only has one downfall and that is the trigger, after the spring kit and trigger install I don't think that's a problem at all, but that's up to you to decide if it's worth the extra effort to get it where you may feel like you need it to be.

+ 1 on the apex trigger. It is very nice.

wassup61

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2015
    nwi
    What is your budget? G19s are definitely attainable in the 400-500 dollar range. As said before, if its what you want, save for it and buy the Glock. Orders of magnitude better

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Indianapolis
    The SD9VE trigger does have room for improvement, Apex has a spring kit for about $20 or so that helps a good bit. In addition to the other choices mentioned above a Springfield XD Essential ( gun ,two mags, manual and lock in hard case would run a hundred or so more, about $425-450 at most places IIRC. The XD has very clean out of box trigger, at least the couple I've shot did.

https://store.apextactical.com/WebDirect/Products/Details/191685
    I was about to say that. i HIGHLY recommend that you buy the apex trigger.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I shot one, felt good, shot good. No complaints. You say it would be your first handgun, but what are your intentions for it? Are you gonna carry it? or keep it in the safe, and shoot it at the range? Nightstand gun? Do you feel comfortable having only your brain keeping your finger off the trigger as a safety? These are all questions you need to answer for yourself, before buying. Share those answers with us, and we might be able to help you out abit.

SchwansManDan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 29, 2015
    Fort Wayne, or close
    Looks like it would be a good gun to me. Here is a pretty good review by Hickok45 on it (for some reason I seem to have forgotten how to post the video the correct way)

[video]https://youtu.be/1cleMs8xmqc[/video]

I enjoyed his review of this gun, as well. Wound up buying the Walther PPX instead of the SD9VE.

The big thing for me was the Walther's trigger. Light pull, good reset. Although my wife was not happy with my purchase of a semi-auto that lacked an external safety, she loves shooting it. And she's pretty damn good with it.

Papadaca

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    NWi
    The sd9 is a good gun I bought one from a pawnshop used. Low recoil, accurate, also uses all mp sights like TFOs or Viking tactics ( ebay has used ones cheap) it can also use a Glock 19 steel guide rod, the old sw sigma magazines. It has a decent combat trigger.

Top Bottom