• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    Is it? Besides the legality, why is it sad? The only way I'd say (imo) you could justify your condemnation, is if you also said the same about alcohol. And if you don't have friends that drink alcohol, I'm just going to assume you moved into the Unabomber's shack and haven't had contact with people for years.
    Maybe there Mormons?

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    In as loud of voice as possible, I just shout "I know my ry-eets! I can OC if I want!" Then I sling my AR-15 over my shoulder, hit the 'Record' button on my cell phone cam, and wait for all the good YouTube clip-bait to flow forth. :laugh:

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Maybe "interfere" wasn't the exact word he meant. "Blindly cooperate" work better for ya?

It would seem that the public, when interacting with John Law has to contend with several issues... "contempt of cop" being a large one, ego, his particular views on citizens carrying weapons, the last time his department sent him for continuing educational hours so he isn't enforcing outdated laws.

There's also officers who bluff there way through an interaction that will have you believing you're going to jail, you're going to be detained for hours, or the car that gets you and your family to work will be ticketed and towed.

"Disrespectful" however isn't interchangeable with "refusal to comply" but that is a concept some officers fail to grasp

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I would not listen to this advice. The courts have determined that an officer can require that occupants of the vehicle exit during a traffic stop. If you roll up the windows and lock the doors you are refusing a lawful command and that is not usually going to work in your favor.

Gonna throw this out there and you can take it for what you want..... There are enough criminals out there committing crimes that police officers do not need to "make things up" and I have never seen it done in over 10 years of law enforcement. If you are a criminal today you will probably be one tomorrow. Keep doing it long enough and you will get caught.

You are more likely to get hit by an alien spaceship than falsely arrested in my personal experience.

:rolleyes:

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Also be aware that you can withdraw consent at any point.
    Good point, I'd never heard that before. I'd like to see that happen.
    "yeah, I got nothin to hide!"

.... Ok, that's far enough. I don't want you to look any further!
    i think most cops, good or bad, would have a hard time stopping at that point.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So far I have been fortunate enough to not receive a request to search my person or vehicle by a law enforcement or peace officer. When it does occur, my intent is to reply with, "No, thank you."

I think "they" leave me alone anyway because of the whole endangered species thing.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I started getting ready for this by making this my response any time a cashier asks for my phone number.

Some places have gotten pushy with that phone number thing. I tried to buy a couple of things at Lowes in Richmond once and was paying with cash. They asked me and I said no. The girl said that she was supposed to get it and had to put something in the computer. I told her I don't care what she puts in there but it won't be my number.

There are pizza places that I won't order from for the same reason. They want a number to enter into the system even when I'm going to come in and pick it up. I've even had them demand a number when I walked in and ordered and waited for it.

Back on topic: I've had my car searched once. It was a long time ago when I was just out of high school before I left for the military. I gave consent because I didn't know any better. I had nothing to hide and nothing illegal. The officer kept me there fishing for about 45 minutes. He tossed everything out. I had a couple of McDs bags in the back seat but not much else. He threw the floor mats out in the road, scrounged around under the seats, took the lid off my drink and smelled it then dumped it out, took the carpet out of the trunk, the spare tire, small tool box and dumped the tools on the ground. He got under the hood and looked around. Finally he told me that I could load everything back since he didn't fine anything. Another car drove by with a light out and he took off after them and left me standing there. I learned a lot that evening. Go ahead, ask for my consent. I know what my answer will be. Indiana has good laws on voice recordings being only a single party notification state. There is one that stays in the car, one for the belt and one on the phone.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I started getting ready for this by making this my response any time a cashier asks for my phone number.

It's what I say to the old guy at the entrance of Walmart when he wants to check the contents of my shopping bags when I am leaving too.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It's what I say to the old guy at the entrance of Walmart when he wants to check the contents of my shopping bags when I am leaving too.

That's not what I taught you to say.

Say it right: "The FBI knows I am not a homosexual", and then run to the car in a zigzag pattern.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Watch this video, part one and two. If you don't understand it, watch it again and again until you understand it. The law professor, and the cop who follows him giving the 2nd half of the presentation should make the point very, very clear. He is a fast talker, but he not only knows the topic well, but he explains why a perfectly innocent person can end up in jail or broke trying to stay out of jail because they either didn't keep their mouth shut, or agreed to a search because "they have nothing to hide".

My take on it is I can inform them I do NOT give consent for a search and not be rude about it. A lawyer once told me to blame it on him. He said to tell the officer that my lawyer (now he knows you have legal counsel and are not an idiot that will just go along to get along) told me if I speak to them or agree to a search he would not represent me. The problem with giving consent is, if they find anything illegal, then you gave them legal authority to find it. If you do not consent to a search, then if they did so illegally, even if they find something like the other post says about prescription pill that fell out of the bottle and you no longer have a prescription for, then it must be thrown out because you did not give consent, and they did not have probable cause to conduct the search. I don't expect that many officers are corrupt, but I have seen my share of them and when it's gambling with my freedom, I don't feel like taking any unnecessary chances. I will not say it to be rude, but the fact is when they tell you " if you haven't done anything wrong you shouldn't have a problem with it". The real fact is, if they had legitimate probable cause, they would not need your permission and would not be asking for your consent. They would be cuffing you, applying for a legal warrant from a judge, and doing it.

As for talking to an officer, if your are done with your business then you can always ask "am I free to go" You either are, or your are not. If you are then bid him a good afternoon and go. If not, what business did he stop you for, take care of it and ask again. Most officers are decent honest ones who are interested in serving the public making it safer for everyone. As for the rare few who are constantly fishing for something you don't need to stick around playing 20 questions. Finish your official business, and roll on down the road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08fZQWjDVKE

Last edited:
    Top Bottom