Seeking Advice-What is currently the Best Value AR-15 5.56/223?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    In my opinion the best bang for the buck you're going to get while still keeping the price point low is the Ruger MPR. It comes with a 15" mlok rail, a 18" barrel with a comp, and rifle length gas. It also comes out of the box with magpul furniture and a good 2 stage trigger. I don't think you can find anything close to as good out of the box for anywhere near that $$$. I'm not sure about now but you could get them for well under $600, I think about $560ish.

Yep. Happy with mine.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/199005

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I'm looking for a 16" 1 in 9 bbl for a light coyote rifle.
    Could go pencil, but think the bbl like on the M&P Sports would work.
    Not a bipod rig, will be scoped w a 2-7X and is pretty much a 200 yards and in offhander.

May reload for it, but my heavier one likes the V max 55 gr factory fodder.
    It just heavy enough to be a PITA/awkward.

Might help w shot recovery (was the idea) but I have never had a double LOL.

1 in 9 chrome lined or not, have had both that shot sub MOA.
    Who makes a decent bbl and who makes crap?

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    I am one of those guys that have graduated from the school of “how cheap can I get an AR”.

Seems the best lower cost ARs these days are Aero. And the lower cost end of the serious duty rifles is BCM. After that you can pay more just won’t get more. Just my opinion / observation.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I've had sub MOA from 16" bbls made by DPMS and Bushmaster (oldies), Stag and ER Shaw.
    Am not building a long range PD rig, just want a 200 yards and in yote popper, so the 1" @100 is good enough.

Am not up on what's what AR wise, lots of "makers" now and dunno who makes their own bbls and who buys em from a "house".

16" medium or light contour, don't want the M4 version. May free float, may not. Stainless or black is fine.

Did see a Diamondback small diameter FF handguard that looked and felt OK. Won't be using a bipod.

I don't need the best, and am not looking for the cheapest.
    My other AR shoots fine, but is heavy and awkward.

'Bout the time I decide to head back to the Jeep, the snow or mud seems twice as deep. Old guy, I need a lighter rifle.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I'm looking for a 16" 1 in 9 bbl for a light coyote rifle.
    Could go pencil, but think the bbl like on the M&P Sports would work.
    Not a bipod rig, will be scoped w a 2-7X and is pretty much a 200 yards and in offhander.

May reload for it, but my heavier one likes the V max 55 gr factory fodder.
    It just heavy enough to be a PITA/awkward.

Might help w shot recovery (was the idea) but I have never had a double LOL.

1 in 9 chrome lined or not, have had both that shot sub MOA.
    Who makes a decent bbl and who makes crap?
    Just curious why you are after a 1 in 9?
    For killing about anything, the heavier bullets seem to do a better job, but a 1 in 9 won’t stabilize them. You are way more of a hunter than I am, I must be missing something.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    If you just need an inexpensive rifle you won't be putting tens of thousands of rounds through, I'd recommend PSA.

Though if we're pinching pennies to try to stretch the dollar as far as you can go, you can sometimes find A2 style bushmaster carbines with a chrome lined bore for just about the same price as a PSA.

If you aren't planning to drop another $500+ on sights, a fixed carry handle is far from a bad thing. It beats the pants off cheap backup sights, or a walmart optic.

Just curious why you are after a 1 in 9?
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]For killing about anything, the heavier bullets seem to do a better job, but a 1 in 9 won’t stabilize them. You are way more of a hunter than I am, I must be missing something.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]1:9 is flatly superior if you're shooting primarily 55gr. It'll generally stabilize 69gr as well.

1:7 only got popular due to the military, and the M856 tracer being so absurdly long that was the only way they could keep it from keyholing.[/FONT]

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    1 in 9 is for .223 and 55gr varmint bullets.
    It'll trash a yote pretty well.

Took the 2-7X Redfield Revolution off my AR and it now wears a DD1 rear w Leupold RDS.
    Its a pig.

Hence wanting a lighter rifle build :)

Have also killed a lot of chucks w 55gr Hornady SP in .222 and .223.
    No reason to go heavier.

55gr ball for plink, 55 gr SP/BT for varmints............kinda like it.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Semi auto .223's do make for good creek bank chuck rifles, just sayin.
    Leave the heavy bbl big scope stuff back on the hill.

For that the current turd might be pretty handy

opZ4cCz.jpg

Forget what I paid for all the pcs, Anderson lower, Stag upper w DPMS bbl.
    It shoots around .75" at 100 (7X scope, benched).
    I have yet to see how the 1 moa dot does at that distance.

Will run a light weight scope on a med or lightweight bbl for my walk around critter gitter.

Last edited:

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    It's not the cheapest, but I'd contend its the best value out there. White Oak Armament's $220 service rifle barrel.

Button rifled, 20" service rifle profile, so it's not a lightweight by any means. 1:8 or 1:7 twist. Both will do fine with 55-80 gr bullets...as in <1 moa at 600 yards if you can point it there.

They do make 18" spr barrels, too, if you want something a little lighter/handier.

They have great sales in January/February for highpower appreciation month, and will see another 10-15% off the normal price.

Top Bottom