• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DSmith78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Indiana
    what would be a good scope to go on this gun. i told myself i wasnt gonna buy any guns this year just ammo but now i want one of these

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    What brand?

He has a Armalite AR50

17 Squirrel is correct. It is a Armlite.

what would be a good scope to go on this gun. i told myself i wasnt gonna buy any guns this year just ammo but now i want one of these

A good scope for a 50bmg will cost nearly as much as the rifle. A cheap scope will not stay together. I have 2 scopes on quick release Weaver rings. One is a Leupold the other is a Bushnell Elite. I like them both. Just make sure what ever it is, that it's rated for the recoil.

I can't stress this enough to anyone considering a 50bmg (or any other high powered round for that matter). Know your back stop and what is behind it. A 50BMG will travel 6-8 miles with deadly force. Ask the RO at the range you shoot at if they are ok with you firing one in to their back stop. I have only one range near me that welcomes it. Never shoot it at a tree line and expect it to stop the bullet.

When I shoot mine I only do it if I have a lot of room around me. I prefer a empty range. I've knocked the stuff off of 2 tables beside me with the muzzle blast. Somewhere I have a video of that. It's a reality check for sure.

I have posted this video many times but I'll do it again. My son filmed this at about 20ft way. You can see he felt the muzzle blast. Ear protection is a 100% must. Plugs plus muffs are recommended. Eye protection is a must. It blows crap everywhere.

[video=youtube;bGMjPHDdc8s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGMjPHDdc8s[/video]

It's a fun round. But not a range toy. Over plan, over protect and respect what it can do. Be respectful of those around you. I always ask everyone at the range if they are ok with it. I also have them stand behind at at least 25ft way from the muzzle. If they aren't happy or won't stand back I don't bring it out. I've let a few people shoot it. They usually walk away with a lot more respect for round and what it can do.

Have fun but for gods sake be careful!! And if anyone finds a good deal on ammo let me know. I've been shooting American Eagle 666 grain. I'd be for a group buy!

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013

On mine I have a LR Leupold 6.5 X 20 ?? on the Arma-lite and on the Amac a 36 power fine plex Leupold.
    What shooting you do, and what distances along with your budget will help determine what scope you purchase.
    I really haven't purchased any new scopes in a few years, but if I was I would seriously look into Vortex. I would stop at Allen's Store and see what he has to offer. Allen is a IP here.

m82mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Milton,In.
    Need has nothing to do with it, try it and have fun. If you don't like it, they will probably sell quick here on INGO. I have lots of fun with mine.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    For an inexpensive scope, $300 gets you an SWFA Super Sniper. Granted they are fixed magnification but they are rated for the .50bmg.

I've owned five .50s over the years and currently own an LAR Grizzly which wears a Bushnell Elite 4200 and a custom left handed Ferret50 by Spider Firearms which wears a NightForce NXS.

Last edited:

Fireball1394

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2015
    Northeast Indiana
    Just an update for anyone following along or maybe interested themselves. I got this flyer sent over in an email from Serbu today. None of this is on their website or Facebook, so I thought I'd give you an early look at what the first customers are getting (I'm sure they won't mind the publicity). They have announced the buttstock they will be selling with/for the RN50, as well as their Serbu bipod. The shipping costs are seem to be very reasonable, and the included case for an extra $15 is gonna be a huge bonus. Hope everyone enjoys!
    Serbu RN50 Flyer.jpg

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I am eager to see what you think of it and your range report! And let us know what glass you decide on. It's not even my rifle and I am excited! Looking forward to updates.

Fireball1394

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2015
    Northeast Indiana
    I am eager to see what you think of it and your range report! And let us know what glass you decide on. It's not even my rifle and I am excited! Looking forward to updates.
    Will do! Should be on the range by the first week of March if production finishes and ships as planned. I'll defenitely get lots of pictures, and I'll attempt a video if the noise doesn't blow out he mic on my camera!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Will do! Should be on the range by the first week of March if production finishes and ships as planned. I'll defenitely get lots of pictures, and I'll attempt a video if the noise doesn't blow out he mic on my camera!

The only tip I can point out is to keep people out of the muzzle blast zone. Including the mic lol. You will be fine. It's going to be fun. And if the break works well the recoil will not be as bad as you think. I hope :-)

I'll be honest and say I was fearful about my AR's recoil. Then I shot it and then it was like "really" That's all the worse it is. My 45-70 kicks my ass way worse.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

I've had issues with the blast destroying speakers. I have a couple of radios that sound like crap now because of it.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Whelp, add me to the list of buyers. Got my invoice confirmation today, getting the bipod and stock. We'll see how long they take to start shipping. I've always wanted a .50 BMG and at that price, I couldn't resist.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    If someone can't afford at least an armalite AR-50, then I don't think they'll be able to afford to shoot a 50bmg.

And that does not look like something pretty to hang on the wall... I don't really get what market this is targeted to lol. For that kind of money, you could build up a bolt action 30-06, scope it, and buy a fair deal of M2 AP, if you want to just tear stuff up.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    If someone can't afford at least an armalite AR-50, then I don't think they'll be able to afford to shoot a 50bmg.

And that does not look like something pretty to hang on the wall... I don't really get what market this is targeted to lol. For that kind of money, you could build up a bolt action 30-06, scope it, and buy a fair deal of M2 AP, if you want to just tear stuff up.

I get it very well. It's a economical 50 bmg rifle. This proves you don't have to spend 2800 plus K to shoot a 50 bmg. And you can't put a 30-06 gun in the same category, I have several 30-06's and a AR50. The 30-06 isn't in the same league. If it's not for you, well that just fine. But just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not cool to someone else.

Why am I even bothering to explain this to a nay sayer. Go shoot your 30-06 and have fun with. We'll be here having fun with this thing. If we have to explain it, the it's not the right gun for you'

If health allows me to travel this summer and or if someone wants to bring one up here, we can stack it up against my AR50 just for fun. I'll bet that thing is a hoot to shoot, And I bet it will do well! If I didn't have the AR50 I'd get one.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013

Reserved for after I drive to the east coast.. This is gonna be good..

Tooms, how about we start with you posting all the firearms that you truly own and show us the quality and wall hangerness that your gun safe holds..
    More to come......

Last edited:

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Reserved for after I drive to the east coast.. This is gonna be good..

Tooms, how about we start with you posting all the firearms that you truly own and show us the quality and wall hangerness that your gun safe holds..
    More to come......

Go over my post history if you want to see a sample of what I have, lol.

People are getting their panties in a bunch when I simply said if a $3000 gun is too expensive, $1.50 to $5 a round is probably going to be out of the ballpark for someone to shoot on any regular basis. In a couple range outings, you'll end up spending more money on ammo than the gun costs... And you'll end up having to drop more money on a scope than the gun costs to find anything that'll survive. Look at the weight, remember the muzzle energy of 50bmg, then ask yourself what kind of scope can handle the abuse that will deliver. I'd honestly be shocked if anything could survive it.

As for a 30-06 bolt action, no, haven't bothered with one. Was just drawing a price comparison.

Last edited:

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    It's not hard to post up now many 1,000 dollar+ guns + optics do you own ???

Should not the lower cost firearms be available to those who don't want to spend excessive cash or can't afford higher priced firearms ???

Top Bottom