• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    The load data I was using from my loading manual for modern lever actions showed a 405gr hardcast at 1900fps using hodgdon H4198. Are you telling me that's not safe?

I'm not going to say its not safe, that's for you to deside.
    With a quick look I'll have to guess you are running in the low 30,000
    There's always been a discrepancy with what loads the Marlin 45-70 can safely shoot. Thats all I'm saying. Be careful.
    Myself, I would use the older leveraction loading data and I would keep it under 30,000. Also shooting cast is easier with the pressures.
    The big difference in modern Japanese Brownings & Winchester levers is they lock up different and have heavier receivers.
    I would never shoot any of the high pressure loads in a Marlin if I owned one.
    And again, Im not bashing Marlin in any way...Marlin has made a very nice rifle for a long long time.
    I keep looking at that short stainless model myself.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    That is how I plan or at least part of my plan on maintaining my sanity once retired, long range rifle competition, along with other firearm disiplines. I don't do it now because there are so few ranges any where near me that offer 400 yards let alone 600 and forget about 1000yards. Those ranges that do are simply to far from my home and I don't have the time off from work or are willing to spend that amount of time away from my children to be able to do it. I always lea towards the .50 as EVERYONE I have spoken to about the matter have said 50 cals are cheaper to relad for than 338 Lapuas, but I have never done the math to confirm that. For a purely competitive caliber I always thought one of the newer ones like the 416 Barrett would be a better all around performer.

In any event the terms "affordable" "reasonably priced", "economical" or "inexpensive" need not apply.

Last edited:

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Just thought I would update the thread with this information: I asked Serbu if the muzzle brake was removable with an eye toward future suppressor use (who knows, maybe I'll get an itch to buy a super expensive .50 BMG can).

They said: "The Muzzle brake is technically removable, but it has locktite and requires a torch to remove."

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    I love the idea of an affordable .50BMG. To me, it's more about 2A "hole punching" than it is about long range precision. I'd love to see more citizens with this capability, especially since it would allow for both. Being able to punch through light armor at 1,000 yards? Hallelujah!

Once upon a time I was in the .50 game. I found a Vulcan bullpup for $1200 and outfitted it with the Bushnell Elite for $229 from Midway. The internet says I should've died the first time I shot it and the scope should have fallen off. What really happened was the holes were touching at 100 yards when I sighted it in.

Over time, I found there were very few places to shoot it and that $1500 was burning a hole in my pocket. I traded for more practical gear but the allure of the big hole punch still calls to me when it's quiet at night and I can lie in bed like Ralphie dreaming of spectacular hip shots and ducks on the wing. Someday I'll be back there. Might be a cheapo Serbu, might be a 107. Only time will tell.

Fireball1394

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2015
    Northeast Indiana
    Things have quieted down a bit with this rifle, but I wanted tshare the update Serbu sent over the other day. It appears this became far more popular than they expected, so now with the orders in, here's the expected timetable for shipping. _20160303_172226.JPG

I'll post any other updates I hear. I should be expecting my rifle around July-August.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Things have quieted down a bit with this rifle, but I wanted tshare the update Serbu sent over the other day. It appears this became far more popular than they expected, so now with the orders in, here's the expected timetable for shipping. View attachment 45679

I'll post any other updates I hear. I should be expecting my rifle around July-August.

I'm glad to hear that this rifle is taking off, it's a nifty utilitarian design.

If health allows me to travel this summer and or if someone wants to bring one up here, we can stack it up against my AR50 just for fun. I'll bet that thing is a hoot to shoot, And I bet it will do well! If I didn't have the AR50 I'd get one.

Hey Larry, what do you think about getting several different .50 BMG rifles together this summer? For comparison, I have a Safety Harbor mag fed AR upper with the 22" barrel. With it being my first 50, I was trying to go for an affordable "do-all" gun. I came close to buying the AR-50 instead, but I shoot long guns left handed and wasn't sure how well the cheek weld would work out for me on a right handed gun (I'm actually right handed and so I prefer right handed operation on my bolt guns). Anyway, the RN-50 intrigues me, but since I have the Safety Harbor as my "do-all" gun, I'm contemplating buying a long heavy rifle for high-volume low-recoil prone shooting. In addition to the AR-50, I'm considering the original Steyr HS-50 since it is clean and sleek looking and has won FCSA sanctioned competitions (I'm not there yet, but I'm looking that way, at least for friendly competition).

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I'm glad to hear that this rifle is taking off, it's a nifty utilitarian design.

Hey Larry, what do you think about getting several different .50 BMG rifles together this summer? For comparison, I have a Safety Harbor mag fed AR upper with the 22" barrel. With it being my first 50, I was trying to go for an affordable "do-all" gun. I came close to buying the AR-50 instead, but I shoot long guns left handed and wasn't sure how well the cheek weld would work out for me on a right handed gun (I'm actually right handed and so I prefer right handed operation on my bolt guns). Anyway, the RN-50 intrigues me, but since I have the Safety Harbor as my "do-all" gun, I'm contemplating buying a long heavy rifle for high-volume low-recoil prone shooting. In addition to the AR-50, I'm considering the original Steyr HS-50 since it is clean and sleek looking and has won FCSA sanctioned competitions (I'm not there yet, but I'm looking that way, at least for friendly competition).

Sounds like a great ideal to me. I have only shot my AR. It would be cool to check the others out. I looked at the Serbu 50BMG and the Grizzly. I ended up with the AR. It was less then a new Serbu and about the same cost as the new Grizzly. I have no regrets but I'd love to check the others out and let them try my AR!

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Screw optics, just go open sights.... :)

If you guys go shoot, let me know when and where! It might be worth a road trip!

I've always looked at the 50's but thought the Tactilite was more in my budget, now this offering has me interested. based on the amount of rounds I'll be putting through it in my lifetime, A little cheaper rifle suits me just fine, as long as its still accurate. I don't need a Magazine or any of that new fangled stuff.... I always envisioned myself with a 32" barrel and a total weight of about 70lbs if I bought a 50BMG... :)

Fireball1394

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2015
    Northeast Indiana
    1911ly Sadly, nothing new. They hadn't expected such a high volume of orders, and are months behind schedule. As of now it's looking closer to October-November for delivery. Needless to say I'm disappointed by this, but I'm also glad to see a small firearms business taking off. Hopefully I'll have an update within 8 weeks.

Top Bottom