• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    About a week ago i started a thread asking for a comparison between the Kimber Eclipse pro and a Sig RCS 1911. Im leaning toward the Kimber pretty heavy. Ive never had any first hand experiance with Kimber but some of my friends have them and have nothing but good things to say about them. I know there have been alot of people saying to stay away from them and im wondering why. All ive heard is second and third parties saying my uncle had one and this happened or my cousins friend had one and this happened. So im asking for FIRST HAND experiances only please. Is there any reason i should reconsider? Let me have it INGO im looking for the good the bad and the ugly here.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I have a Kimber. It is the TLE II. I constantly have to fight the barrel trying to rust. Any time I shoot it, I take it home and clean it. The next day, there is always rust on the barrel. I have tried different kinds of ammo, different oils, different amounts of oil and nothing works. It's AGGRIVATING to pay $900 for a gun just to have it try to rust on you all the time.

rlidgard

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    NWI
    thats weird. never had that problem. but ive got the tactical pro spec. edition. never really had a issue. with anything. maybe defected barrel

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I have a crimson carry and really like it...the only issues I had, I believe were when I was getting used to it--ie probably my fault. Kimber recommended a 200 shot break-in, IIRC----No issues after that.

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    I also have the TLE11. I have had zero problems. I heard about the barrels rusting on Kimbers made several years ago. Mine is 1.5 years old and no sign. If has been flawless the last four hundred rounds. I did have a couple of FTF's early on. I think you will be happy with the Kimber......No Sig bashing - they are great also....decisions - decisions

PAPASHOT357

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    NWI
    My EDC is a Kimber Ultra CDP II and have had no issues (after breaking it in) what so ever in the 2 years ive had it, 200 round break in is important as i had 2 FTF in the first couple of mags through it. Could of been either the tight gun or getting used to the thing but now it eats everything i have put in it. The only downside with my Kimber i see is i dont like shooting anything else as much.....

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I've had many kimbers. Like any manufacturer, they will make a few bad guns. I've never had a bad gun from kimber, but they make some. More than they should, at their price point? Oh, maybe. They have had some coating issues and some barrels that were more prone to rust than they should be. Sometimes their fit and finish is a little off. Some people get their panties in a knot about the Swartz safety in the series II models, you make your own decisions about that. As lp said, if a trp is an option for your budget, I'd take that over any kimber, but I have carried kimber and trusted my life to their guns many times. Whatever you buy, shoot it until you have complete confidence.

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    120   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    I would say get it if you want it. I replaced a Colt Lightweight Commander with a Kimber Pro Carry back in the late 90s. I've shot it the most of any pistol I have had, though not so much recently. I had some issues early on with it not locking back on an empty mag, and Kimber quickly sent me a replacement slide stop which fixed the problem.

Have owned a few other Kimbers since, though haven't shot them a lot. All of mine have been pre-Series II guns. One is recent production - Super Carry Custom - but I haven't put round one through it yet. I'd say unless you throw it in the gravel and run over it with your truck, it will hold its value if you buy it right and find you don't care for it.

picture.php

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Buy a sa trp. You know you want to.

I agree. The TRP is a great piece as is the field officer. I have 2 Field officers and a Trophy match. Want a TRP badly.

Had a Kimber but never really got close to it. Did not feel right to me. Nothing wrong with it. Just did not like it. Try a Springfield. You will not be sorry.

gixer454

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    Logansport
    I'm in the same boat, trying to decide between and Kimber and a Springfield and then decide what model to get past that. I am looking for the best value for my dollar and I don't know very much about 1911's at all. What should be the deciding factor?

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I'm in the same boat, trying to decide between and Kimber and a Springfield and then decide what model to get past that. I am looking for the best value for my dollar and I don't know very much about 1911's at all. What should be the deciding factor?

You.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Get the Kimber. No problems out of any of mine. Deadly accurate, feed empty brass even. 100% dependable. I prefer the full size Custom line. Plane Janes.
    No failures, No rust, No problems. Just a smooth, accurate, dependable gun. Thousands or rounds fired.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I swore off Kimber years ago, due to their horrible customer service. They may be better today, but my motto with customer service is one strike and you're out. There are just too many companies with outstanding CS to put up with one that provides grief better than customer service.

Take a close look at the SA TRP, if you want a top quality semi-custom 1911 with an outstanding CS department standing behind it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

You are the deciding factor. For the dollar I feel the Springfield is the best. The field officer or the loaded field officer ($30 more at Plainfield) is a great piece. The TRP is really nice. The kimber is a bit more and is a fine handgun as well.
    It is what you like. Try and shoot both models. There are so many to choose from.
    I have heard more poor marks on Kimbers than the SA.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I have a Kimber. It is the TLE II. I constantly have to fight the barrel trying to rust. Any time I shoot it, I take it home and clean it. The next day, there is always rust on the barrel. I have tried different kinds of ammo, different oils, different amounts of oil and nothing works. It's AGGRIVATING to pay $900 for a gun just to have it try to rust on you all the time.

It's called quality steel...

Stainless isn't ideal for a barrel, it's considerably weaker.

Use a proper RUST PROTECTIVE instead of a do-all bottle of garbage like CLP.

I use boeshield T9, and spray the whole gun, and leave the barrel dripping wet with the stuff... Never have seen rust again.

Top Bottom