• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    What would the violation have been? There is no requirement that a LTCH is required by the purchaser on private to private state residents. So what would have been the "offense"?

What did y'all do before IN started issuing LTCH? What's going to happen if IN passes a constitutional carry and no longer requires a carry card? Petition for the state to have a FOID card system so you can sell to a private party?

No LTCH? Check their ID and scribble up a BOS. OR print out a blank sale slip that are availabe online, if they fill it out (includes their address and everything to boot) I think it's a pretty solid system myself and I have sold plenty of times that way, a lot of folks don't have LTCH, and use a gun just for sporting reasons, if all I own is a scattergun, a 10-22 and a deer rifle I have no use for a carry permit.

If you don't know the buyer personally, the LTCH is a form of vetting. Also, why would you just blindly sell a gun just because it's not required to have a LTCH for private sales. How would you know if the person is not prohibited?

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    It was probably nothing. Several folks don't have a current LtCH. With the advent of LEOSA 12 years ago I let mine expire since I wasn't required to have it anymore ( I'm not saying or think I am Special for not needing g a LTCH for the haters just pointing out that some folks don't have them save the flame for another post. Personally ally if you have a permit you should be good to go nationwide IMHO)

But if that was the case with buyer he would have asked if an Le I'd would suffice but then the sake was still up to you.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    Other vetting would be a BOS signed dated and with all personal info filled out, what felon would leave that kind of trail? heck I have been provided with a recent receipt from a LGS that has the buyers name on it (where they had to do the 4473) and have been fine with that. Not everyone wants a carry piece, that's a fact of life. I can see requiring a LTCH if you're selling a concealed carry piece, but a target gun or an AR15 is a different animal. Not wanting to waltz into a gunshop and do a 4473 on a private transaction might just mean the guy had $250 or whatever until next payday and can't fork over extra for whatever BS fees some of these shops toss in for running a check (I've seen $75 fees, for running one)

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    My concern was along the lines of BATF. Selling to an individual I did not know was a proper person. Id rather be out money than chance making a mistake.
    It's your decision whether to make a particular deal or not , so I won't comment on a personal decision. However, you do not have to KNOW that a buyer is a proper person, you just have to have no reason to KNOW that they are NOT. Big difference there legally. A little piece of pink paper isn't hard to copy if a guy wants to, there really is no way to ever KNOW a stranger is proper or not, short of going to a FFL and doing a transfer.

courier6

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 26, 2016
    Indiana
    I'd have probed a little more on his LTCH, not everyone had the forethought to get the lifetime and some cheaped out for the 4 year. If you could get a feel that he legitimately let it lapse, that would help. I have a few friends who have 4 year permits and never carry, so when it expires I can see them not renewing asap.

gamecrimez

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Lafayette
    I think you made the right call. There is a lot of identity theft going on. Not to mention if his LTCH was expired he could of been lazy & not had it renewed or he could of gotten a felony & cant get it. I always go with my gut instinct if it don't feel right it probably isn't. I would personally feel bad to sell a gun only later to find out it was used in a crime or a murder. If it was me I would of done the same no reason to chance it. I'm sure there are others that will meet the requirements & still be able to sell the gun & feel better at the end of the day. Good job for you going with your gut instinct. :yesway:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Sting? Unlikely.

Someone who isn't eligible to possess a firearm? Maybe.

Guaranteed that you'll be fine. Never.

Just because you have no info that should lead you to believe that this person is not a proper person doesn't mean someone won't make that accusation.

Set whatever requirements you find reasonable and follow them. Others can do what they want. This is your life.

Oh...and "expired" LTCH- c'mon who gets the 4 year? I know....but why?

TangoSierraEcho

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2016
    Monroe County
    Sold quite a bit on Gunbroker and GunsAmerica, never had much luck with Armslist, any time I get messages on Armslist it always seems weird. I don't list much on Armslist because of that. Ultimately, it is your gun, your choice to sell or not sell. You need to be comfortable with the choice and while legally you would have been fine without the LTCH, it is still your call.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    I agree with all of those that say "Your gun, your rules." However, with that said, not everyone is comfortable with providing all of their information on a BOS. I have purchased quite a few guns from online ads and if they require a BOS, that's a deal breaker for me. I don't know how the seller would handle my information and so, I won't take the chance. However, I do respect their sales rules because it is their gun, their rules.

I will gladly show them my LTCH and my drivers license. I just don't want my information to be written down. Just my :twocents:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I do all of my selling and buying right here in the INGO classifieds. Makes it simple to do a check on buyers or sellers through their posts and iTrader.

FYI- Always happy to show DL/LTCH for verification of "proper", but I'm not quick to doing unnecessary paperwork unless I'm buying from an FFL.

Does the OP have a link to their firearm for sale in the INGO classifieds?

Top Bottom