• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I disagree with many on this issue for several reasons and would certainly have sold the gun to the buyer.

First, it is not illegal for a private seller to sell a firearm to a total stranger, the only requirements by the BATF is that the purchaser be of legal age, a resident of your state, and that you do not KNOW or have a REASONABLE DOUBT that the person is not legal to possess a firearm. In your case, I personally saw no action on the part of the prospective purchaser that he was not legal to possess, and he was willing to show you his DL, which verifies his states residence and age.

Second, I personally feel that the Government already has enough laws that restrict the purchase of firearms by honest citizens, I certainly don't feel that I need to add additional restrictions!

Third, any criminal that wants a firearm will get one legally or illegally. In my life I have seen several firearm sales in bars, some I am sure were felons that purchased, other criminals steal them, others buy them from gang members, but all can and will obtain one if they are wanting to commit a felony. This is pretty apparent to me with the number of armed robberies and shootings in Chicago and Indy.

I certainly would not sell to someone I had reasonable doubt was not legal to own a firearm, nor violate any other law in force, but I will not violate any honest citizens right to possess a firearm. I have no fear of the BATF as I have never violated any firearm law, if somehow a firearm I once owned is involved in a crime and I am questioned I have absolutely nothing to hide.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Paranoia. No offense. you asked.
    You were going the extra mile asking for the pink. You just have to ask if he is an Indiana resident and legal to posses a firearm.
    Then your good.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I never sell to a person without a BOS and valid permit with ID. If they don't like it they can find another.

How do you, or any of the others on here that require a LTCH for a sale know that the license presented is valid? How many on this forum have made multiple copies of their license and stashed them away? The person you are selling to could have multiple felonies and multiple copies of their formerly valid license and you wouldn't any way to know. Your gun, your rules, just don't delude yourself into believing that a pink piece of paper automatically makes someone a "proper person".

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    How do you, or any of the others on here that require a LTCH for a sale know that the license presented is valid? How many on this forum have made multiple copies of their license and stashed them away? The person you are selling to could have multiple felonies and multiple copies of their formerly valid license and you wouldn't any way to know. Your gun, your rules, just don't delude yourself into believing that a pink piece of paper automatically makes someone a "proper person".
    Exactly. They don't.
    We are not the police. The burden of proof or covering our ass is very low. We don't have fancy tools. People requiring bills of sale scare me alittle bit for being on the paranoid side unless I know them. Some people here I've seen for years yeah I'd do a bos, but some new guy that I don't know hell no.

gamecrimez

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Lafayette
    Exactly. They don't.
    We are not the police. The burden of proof or covering our ass is very low. We don't have fancy tools. People requiring bills of sale scare me alittle bit for being on the paranoid side unless I know them. Some people here I've seen for years yeah I'd do a bos, but some new guy that I don't know hell no.

I don't mind showing my DL and?or LTCH, but I would not do a BOS. That seems paranoid to me as well. Plus I wouldn't want my info floating around out there. Only way I do paper work is with FFL. You never know what people will do with your info.

Top Bottom