• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I'm not so impressed with the idea of keeping ammo in a hot car for the long term.
    While I generally agree with most of your post, I'm not so sure about this part of it. Maybe because I am unclear of the message you are trying to convey???

Ammo is stable in a hot trunk. The military ships it in cargo containers that sit out in the sun for long periods of time. Heck you can buy 20+ year old surplus ammo that has been stored in varying temperatures. I even know a gun dealer who stuck several boxes of factory and several boxes of handloads in a trunk of an old Ford in the desert (New Mexico, near Farmington) for 3 years to see what would happen. He maintained some ammo from the same lots in his home for comparison. He took a few rounds out every six months or so and tested them to see if the performance degraded. It did not not, at least not that could be determined in a 3 year period.

Now if you are saying it is dumb to have a bunch of ammo in the car because people will steal it, that I will generally agree with.

I tend to have an extra couple of loaded handgun magazines in my car, of various types/calibers for the various guns I carry. But none are kept visible.

Royal-1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Noblesville
    My thought is I personally do not like the idea of having any loaded cartridge pointed at me, my passenger, or who knows where that has even a remote chance of being set off. Must be something about me being a control freak. :):

Your post does make me feel better about the heat not degrading ammo, something I was not sure about, but it does make sense. Another thought to add, car trunks are not water tight and do leak. How does moisture affect ammo, and all metals for that thought, as if I don't know that one, break out the desiccant. Maybe I should have just said:

I'm not so impressed with the idea of keeping ammo in a car for the long term. Rotate your stash, use what has been exposed at the range next time. :cheers:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    My thought is I personally do not like the idea of having any loaded cartridge pointed at me, my passenger, or who knows where that has even a remote chance of being set off. Must be something about me being a control freak. :):

I recall reading about this as well- if it's just rounds in mags, even if one does spontaneously go, it has no chamber to restrict it's direction nor a barrel to generate speed and contain the gases of combustion. In short, if I recall, there's little chance of it doing more than just bouncing off you or maybe a small cut in your skin. Still not fun, but hardly fatal.

FWIW.

Blessings,
    B

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    The only case I've been able to find of rounds in a car being cooked off without extenuating circumstances, (Like the car was in a wreck, and is on fire) was where the spare magazine was on top of a cell phone, with a lithium Ion battery that failed.

When Lithium Ion batteries fail, some do it rather spectacularly. See Sony laptops on airplanes news stories from the last two years. ;)

As I recall, the rounds were contained by the glove box. Although most of what was in the glove box was torched due to the battery fire.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Be very selective of what you put in your vehicle.

High temps
    Limited security
    They have always been a good target for thieves

MRE's will not last long in high temps, and water get nasty in the thin plastic drinking bottles.

How many times have you heard a car alarm go off and took off running to see if you could help stop a thief?

If they don't just steal your car, then the trunk is also an easy target at any shopping area.

Gear would be good to keep in a car: Rain gear, walking shoes/boots, simple tools, a blanket, first aid items. Stuff that if someone does pop your trunk they will just toss out of the way looking for the good stuff.

In short don't keep an AR in your trunk with 6 full magazines, that is unless you have an incredible way to hide them. Even then I'm not so impressed with the idea of keeping ammo in a hot car for the long term.

I have a tub in which I will keep things like a small tent, sleeping bag, camp pillow, change of clothes (extra underwear/socks), first aid supplies, fire/cooking supplies (small), shoes or boots, rain gear, and room for a back pack, (which I can take out each day) which will hold the food, water, firearm/ammo (?).

The tub will be left in the back of my truck, the bag I can take with me - depending on where I am.

mastery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Here
    I have a tub in which I will keep things like a small tent, sleeping bag, camp pillow, change of clothes (extra underwear/socks), first aid supplies, fire/cooking supplies (small), shoes or boots, rain gear, and room for a back pack, (which I can take out each day) which will hold the food, water, firearm/ammo (?).

The tub will be left in the back of my truck, the bag I can take with me - depending on where I am.

Same here. I keep a GHB and some decent walking boots in the truck. Easy enough to transport if I had to go on foot...and safely hidden away just in case :thumbsup:

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    I talked to my wife this week about getting a bag together, I as of yet have not done so but it is much higher on the priority list now. For my start I just plan on making a simple 2-3 day bag with essentials ready to grab and go with. I figure that will be 2-3 days better off than most people.

Once that is done I can build from there, but I need to keep it light from a going standpoint. At home I figure I could have a lot ready, but as the floods show you might have to leave quickly and I would like to be way more ready than I am now.

Lot of reading to do now....

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    I am wanting to start stocking food and supplies for the house. However, I have a few problems/issues.

#1. I can't even stock my own pantry. How am I supposed to keep supplies stocked?
    #2. I don't even know what to stock or where to start. If the situation comes and I need the supplies, then I plan on there being no power. No power = no ability to use the oven or cooktop. I also don't want to have to use my water reserves for cooking. This takes rice, noodles, pastas, etc out of the equation.
    #3. My girlfriend doesn't like SPAM. How do I convince her that it is THE best thing in the world?

Whatever supplies I stock up on, I want them to be something I would actually eat. There is no sense in having cans of sardines if I won't eat them.

I am working on getting other non-food supplies together, but the food portion of this project seems to be the hardest part for me. I have water, almost 40 gallons of it, so I'm good there.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    I talked to my wife this week about getting a bag together, I as of yet have not done so but it is much higher on the priority list now. For my start I just plan on making a simple 2-3 day bag with essentials ready to grab and go with. I figure that will be 2-3 days better off than most people.

Once that is done I can build from there, but I need to keep it light from a going standpoint. At home I figure I could have a lot ready, but as the floods show you might have to leave quickly and I would like to be way more ready than I am now.

Lot of reading to do now....

I just looked at some of the pictures on another thread. I certainly hope some of those people were prepared to stick it out for several days. I really feel for those people! What a mess!!

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Same here. I keep a GHB and some decent walking boots in the truck. Easy enough to transport if I had to go on foot...and safely hidden away just in case :thumbsup:

If anyone comments on my tub and bag, I just point out the condition of my truck (next month, the engine will be replaced) and tell them I'm prepared in case I have to walk home. (They don't see everything in the tub.) Actually, it doesn't really run badly, it just burns (and leaks) oil.
    That way, they don't get too curious. :)

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I just looked at some of the pictures on another thread. I certainly hope some of those people were prepared to stick it out for several days. I really feel for those people! What a mess!!

One thing that many people don't consider is MEDICINE. :twocents:

Unfortunately I learned about that the hard way. My daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes (insulin dependent type, not the type you get from eating too much junk food and sitting on your butt). She has to have insulin 24/7, we also have to carry a crash kit, plus other supplies for her. The disease has taught me that we always have to be/stay prepared for anything with her.

While I learned this lesson because of my daughter's condition, I'd encourage everyone else heed the words of those who have had to deal with some sort of emergency. You must take care of yourself/your family. Nobody can help you in an emergency except for you. EVENTUALLY government aid, and more likely the Red Cross, local Churches, etc will show up and offer shelter, etc. But it may take them a day, two or even 3 to get you help. You have to be at least minimally prepared for any event. Any preparation is better than none, and a small "Daypack" filled with some essentials will get you through 72 hours, a bigger one will get you & your family through the same.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    I am wanting to start stocking food and supplies for the house. However, I have a few problems/issues.

#1. I can't even stock my own pantry. How am I supposed to keep supplies stocked?
    #2. I don't even know what to stock or where to start. If the situation comes and I need the supplies, then I plan on there being no power. No power = no ability to use the oven or cooktop. I also don't want to have to use my water reserves for cooking. This takes rice, noodles, pastas, etc out of the equation.
    #3. My girlfriend doesn't like SPAM. How do I convince her that it is THE best thing in the world?

Whatever supplies I stock up on, I want them to be something I would actually eat. There is no sense in having cans of sardines if I won't eat them.

I am working on getting other non-food supplies together, but the food portion of this project seems to be the hardest part for me. I have water, almost 40 gallons of it, so I'm good there.

When you shop for food, buy double or catch sales, go to places like Aldi's (if you have anything like that in your area) and buy certain things by the case. (for us, it would be tomatos and mushroom soup - we use a LOT of those) ALWAYS buy only what you know you would eat. An emergency would not be a time to try something new. Eat what you store, replace asap.

If you don't have a basement, store them in a closet which isn't used by guests. Buy some things in bulk.
    Water is so important, so find a place to store as much as possible. (even under the bed, dressers, etc.) It's less than a dollar a gallon. Or buy a water filter.

Buy a grill? (Outside use only, of course) They are cheap enough. Don't need anything fancy.

You didn't say if you live in an apartment or house, so that would also affect your decision.

P.S. If your gf is hungry enough, Spam will taste like steak!

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    . . . ALWAYS buy only what you know you would eat. An emergency would not be a time to try something new. Eat what you store, replace asap.

. . .Water is so important, so find a place to store as much as possible.

. . .Buy a grill?

YUP YUP and YUP :+1:

I went to Costco a couple weeks ago, my wife wanted some corn and some green beans. I bought 2 cases of each. Got 2 cases of diced tomatoes too. We normally eat those things. A case only has 12 cans. You use 1 can per meal. So while it sounds like a lot, 2 cases of green beans is really not much. Its easy to buy what you need, plus a little extra. Costco, Aldi, Sams, or even your local supermarket sells canned foods that will be easy to stock pile in modest quantities and will allow you to store exactly what you normally eat.

WATER is critical. In the country its actually easier than in the city/suburbs because we can dig wells in the country and pump our own. City/suburbs often forbid wells, further city services can be contaminated, water mains break, etc. But add to those issues is the fact that water runoff in the cities/suburbs is usually very contaminated so scrounging for water is not really possible. When storing water, keep it out of light, best yet keep it in heavy opaque FDA approved containers.

Portable charcoal grills are good, but IMHO portable propane grills are better. Most of the small, but higher quality, propane grills will run on the disposable "Coleman" gas cylinders AND also on the hardware store cylinders sold at hardware stores. Best yet, the better grades of portable propane grills can be easily converted to burn wood and/or charcoal so if you run out of propane you can easily remove the burner element and use the same grill for wood/charcoal. I recommend the small Weber Baby-Q but there are a dozen other common grills that will do the same.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    YUP YUP and YUP :+1:

I went to Costco a couple weeks ago, my wife wanted some corn and some green beans. I bought 2 cases of each. Got 2 cases of diced tomatoes too. We normally eat those things. A case only has 12 cans. You use 1 can per meal. So while it sounds like a lot, 2 cases of green beans is really not much. Its easy to buy what you need, plus a little extra. Costco, Aldi, Sams, or even your local supermarket sells canned foods that will be easy to stock pile in modest quantities and will allow you to store exactly what you normally eat.

WATER is critical. In the country its actually easier than in the city/suburbs because we can dig wells in the country and pump our own. City/suburbs often forbid wells, further city services can be contaminated, water mains break, etc. But add to those issues is the fact that water runoff in the cities/suburbs is usually very contaminated so scrounging for water is not really possible. When storing water, keep it out of light, best yet keep it in heavy opaque FDA approved containers.

Portable charcoal grills are good, but IMHO portable propane grills are better. Most of the small, but higher quality, propane grills will run on the disposable "Coleman" gas cylinders AND also on the hardware store cylinders sold at hardware stores. Best yet, the better grades of portable propane grills can be easily converted to burn wood and/or charcoal so if you run out of propane you can easily remove the burner element and use the same grill for wood/charcoal. I recommend the small Weber Baby-Q but there are a dozen other common grills that will do the same.

Also, there are barrels which can catch rain water safely (boy, could one stock up on that right now - so easily!) But the one I saw (link from "SurvivalBlog" I think) was SO expensive. Filtered it could be used for cooking as well as washing, etc. WATER! Need water!
    (I'm sure some of you would disagree with me now, with all the flooding. But hopefully, you get my point?)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    IMHO portable propane grills are better. Most of the small, but higher quality, propane grills will run on the disposable "Coleman" gas cylinders AND also on the hardware store cylinders sold at hardware stores.

A very handy stove to have is a Coleman dual fuel. White gas is hotter, but it will burn unleaded. I have a single burner that is quite compact, looking for a good price on a double burner.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    A very handy stove to have is a Coleman dual fuel. White gas is hotter, but it will burn unleaded. I have a single burner that is quite compact, looking for a good price on a double burner.

Yup, I had a Coleman dual fuel stove and those do work very well. The single burner unit that you have is excellent if you have to travel because they will fit into a box that is less than 8"x8"x8". The type of propane grill I suggested above is NOT appropriate as a bug-out type cooker because not only are they heavy, but the gas cylinders also get heavy. For a bug-out stove I'd gladly take a single burner Coleman dual-fuel. But if you are able to stay at home (like in an extended power outage, etc) then I'd prefer a compact propane grill that can be adapted to wood and charcoal.

I probably should have been more clear in my post about the grill.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Yup, I had a Coleman dual fuel stove and those do work very well. The single burner unit that you have is excellent if you have to travel because they will fit into a box that is less than 8"x8"x8". The type of propane grill I suggested above is NOT appropriate as a bug-out type cooker because not only are they heavy, but the gas cylinders also get heavy. For a bug-out stove I'd gladly take a single burner Coleman dual-fuel. But if you are able to stay at home (like in an extended power outage, etc) then I'd prefer a compact propane grill that can be adapted to wood and charcoal.

I probably should have been more clear in my post about the grill.

Have you checked out "Emergency Essentials" at BePrepared.com?
    They have a Sunmax Butane Stove for $24.95 (AK1-SD-5300) as well as other bob type stoves and much more.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Have you checked out "Emergency Essentials" at BePrepared.com?
    They have a Sunmax Butane Stove for $24.95 (AK1-SD-5300) as well as other bob type stoves and much more.

No, honestly I am retired. I have no intention of bugging out anywhere. I'll hunker down at home, I live in a rural area, pump my own water, have my own generator, have plenty of land around me and there is only one road that can be taken to get to my house. It is a defendable position from all problems except a tornado or a fire. If either of those hit then I could temporarily set up home in one of my out buildings.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    No, honestly I am retired. I have no intention of bugging out anywhere. I'll hunker down at home, I live in a rural area, pump my own water, have my own generator, have plenty of land around me and there is only one road that can be taken to get to my house. It is a defendable position from all problems except a tornado or a fire. If either of those hit then I could temporarily set up home in one of my out buildings.

Wow! Sounds to me like you have the perfect place. I bet it's quiet there too. (I'm drooling here) I would love to live out away from town (even tho the town I live in is small and relatively quiet).
    I hope to (soon) get a job in IN and move there (stay with my daughter until I can get a place of my own).

Top Bottom