• mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Stitches on the knuckle above the pinky where I sliced it open washing dishes. We had drinking glasses that were fairly thin glass and one had broken when it was placed in the sink. Put my hand in with the washcloth to wash it and as my hand turned, it sliced the knuckle right open.

And then there was the hatchet incident...chopping kindling for the woodstove when the power was out due to an ice storm. Chopped halfway into the nail on my thumb. Roads were too icy to go anywhere so I went the next day for stitches since it was still bleeding when I woke up.

It should be noted, that I am no longer allowed to play with sharp objects. :D

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    As a stupid teen I thought it would be a good idea to hold a square of sheet metal with my hand while I drilled a hole in it. Yep. Drill bit got most of the way through and of course bound up turning the sheet metal into a spinning saw blade. As I type I am looking down at the scar on my index finger. 7 stitches as I recall.

Nodonutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Alexandria
    When I was a kid, hanging out at the pool at Alameda Naval Air Station I went around and got a bunch of pull tabs from cans of soda. Made a nice long 'chain', about 2-3ft... and had at least a dozen cuts, from the dirty azz things. Minimum of one band-aid per finger. I survived - kids today, not so much. And for those too young to remember:
    Pull Tab Chain.jpg

Also when I was about 12 we were washing my folks Kingswood Estate Station Wagon. We were soaping up the windsheild and sliding down, across the hood and onto the ground. Never knew those 'old fashioned' wiper blades were razor sharp. Blood spewed - Mom takes me to our GP doc, and he stitches me up in his office. AND I got a lollipop . Bad timing as well - our Little League team was in the district playoffs and I was relegated from the enviable position of the kid who always batted 9th and played right field, to one notch below... bat boy. I got a 4" scar on my palm to remind me how terrible I was at baseball.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Ballisong knuckles, anyone?

Few things are more chuckle worthy than watching your pals writh in overdramatic pain, as your own knuckle wounds are healing.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    As a stupid 16 year old working in a supermarket, I decided to cut the plastic banding on a new skid of product with the first blade I could find... the kind of crappy steak knife the sell at supermarkets. Couldn't get it to cut, so I tried twisting the blade to pop the band. The blade snapped and went flying toward my face. It narrowly missed my face and I was so stunned by the sound and feel of the blade whizzing past my ear that it took a few seconds to notice it had caught my cutting hand on the way up. I looked down in time to see my hand layed open about a half inch wide before the blood had even started flowing. I never had it looked at, but it probably should have been stitched up.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have never cut my self very bad with a knife. I had stitches last summer while in the garage trying to pry a spring loaded part into position, you guessed it, the spring won. Since I take a lot of blood thinners it looked like a murder scene.

Worst I was around was similar to what mtinner alluded. A guy was working about 4 feet off the ground and lost his footing. Came down on the corner of a freshly sheared 1/2 sheet of 11 gauge sitting on a 55 gallon drum. All but cut his scrotum off. You know you want to help the guy, but how do you go about that? It was the most human blood I ever saw. Got the cleanest rags we could find and duct tape up over his shoulder. The Ambulance got there pretty quick and the Emergency room doctors were able to re attach things. He came back to work after several weeks. I never asked him anything else. Glad he did not bleed out.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    My strangest getting cut story: Sun TZU and the art of eating salsa.
    I've attacked a lot of salsa jars over the years. Their defensive strategy is usually more of a retaliation attack against the stomachal area after some time has passed to let you get your guard down. This time it struck hard and fast. Be aware, salsa is no longer only a reactive force to deal with.
    Opening a jar of salsa....Yes folks I got cut by FOOD!
    It was half full (for half of INGO that is the same as half empty), I gripped the lid turned and sliced a 2.5 mm deep perfect incision in my left middle finger pad on the most distal digit. Some liquid salsa from the previous pour had solidified around the glass rim. Thick at the base and tapering off as it projected outward and upward toward the lid like liquids do when they wet a surface, it had dried into a razor sharp edge like only nature can achieve. It was only noticeable after the lid turned a little, separating the metal lid from the hardened piece like unsheathing a surgical instrument. This made it the perfect little booby trap. It cut so sharp and clean it didn't hurt, just felt like a paper cut. I stared at it for a couple seconds then noticed when I extended my finger it turned into a finger puppet with a rather wide mouth.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    before i got the upgraded arms on my wicked edge ,they would bind with a longer knife. i was sharpening a busse 10. at the point of the return the arm caught bringing my thumb into the knife at witch it went to the bone. if i were further along more then 100 grit i think i would have lost that puppy. but it healed very fast , very clean cut.

One reason I've never liked the Wicked Edge. Seemed like a hazard waiting to happen. Edge facing up. Fingers and hands and wrists going back and forth towards said edge. No thank you

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    On a filet knife I have the seam of the sheath does not run along the edge of the blade but rather down the side... Without thinking, I grabbed it and pulled hard on the knife. I was sure my hand was not on the seam or opposite side by feel and so when I pulled the knife I destroyed the pad of my thumb! Kind of ruined the rest of the week of fishing not having that thumb for great use... I immediately felt the pain and I was just like oh you idiot, how stupid etc. etc. and of course some people laughed.

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    I've got a plastic AG Russell CIA Letter Opener. It's safe enough for grade-schoolers to use. I'll bring it to work Tuesday and swap it out for your dangerous ****. And thanks for doing that at home rather than have a paperwork-inducing event at work, we appreciate it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I did not anticipate that this topic with flourish so rapidly, but then most of us have much in common.

Among my favorite recollections of cutting myself accidentally was from my college days. I was in my driveway in Seelyville, leaning against the back end of my Chevy Citation waiting for some buddies to pick me up. While I waited, I was whittling a stick with a Case single blade slimline trapper. When they arrived in the Cutlass, I dropped the stick so I could zip my jacket. As I zipped the jacket, I learned that I still had a knife in my hand as I unzipped one of the fingers on my other hand. They of course laughed their a**es off. Again, it didn't really hurt because it was very sharp, but the bleeding was impressive.

At some point, I'll reveal the truth about losing the knife fight to my mother. It involved a pre-ESEE RAT 4 and I lost.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Nice! I was unaware that your blood was red like a mammals, but now we know! Heh!

Which brings us to my "I lost a knife fight to my mom" story, also featuring a RAT 4.

I was wearing my RAT 4 as a neck knife (after reprofiling the edge and getting it all nice and slicey). I was sitting in my truck with my mom in the passenger seat. She looked at it and asked me if I was worried that it would fall out and cut my foot off. I assured her that it took a significant amount of force to pull the knife from the kydex sheath. She was skeptical, so I asked her to grab the handle and pull on it to see for herself. She refused, saying something about not wanting to get cut. I assured her it was perfectly safe and held the knife by the sheath with the grip toward her. After some additional encouragement, she grabbed and pulled. The knife came out, but she had to give it a decent tug. Her concerns were alleviated.

Well, until she saw the red stuff gushing out of my hand. I had been holding the sheath so that when the blade emerged, the edge slid right into the fleshy part of my forefinger between my hand and the first joint. I applied pressure and it kept gushing. So I applied a lot of pressure and held my hands above my shoulders. I applied pressure for over two hours (maybe three), but every time I bent my finger even a little, it would gape open and gush.

So I showed it to my dad (who was a surgeon for over 30 years) and told him how long I'd been trying to stop the bleeding. He told me to go the emergency room for stitches, so I did. I got two sutures, a nifty bandage, and cool splint in addition to two enormous bills, one from the ER and one from the ER physician ... apparently they're allowed to double dip. Anyway, in retrospect, immobilizing the finger with the splint was key. I probably could have gotten by with some glue/liquid bandage or some steri-strips or a butterfly had I thought to also splint with a stick or something. I live and learn.

The only part that really hurt were the bills because I hadn't met my deductible for the year at that point. Okay, so my pride hurt too. I was a dumba** and I made my mom feel bad for hurting me, even though it was 100% my fault and responsibility.

Top Bottom