• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clelaj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indy - North
    Years ago, I was using a very sharp wood chisel to pare down then end or a wood dowel. With the dowel secured between my thumb and forefinger, I was cutting across the end grain. As I thought to myself, if the chisel slips, i will carve across my knuckle. And yes and before I could stop, the chisel slipped and did just what I had envisioned.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Update: my fingertip injuries are compromising my otherwise rapid typing do to the bandages I am wearing to protect the cuts from the keys and vice versa. I am displeased.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I once bought a Spyderco ParaMilitary 2 from Brad of Brad's Knives. 15 minutes later, while playing with my new blade, I sliced my finger right open. I cussed twice, right in front of an older gentleman with his 2 grandchildren. By the look of his face, the older gentleman was NOT pleased.

I quickly wrapped my finger in toilet paper in the nasty bathroom of the 1500 Gun and Knife show, and pretty much ran outside to my Jeep to get some bandaids. It was not a very good day....

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I once bought a Spyderco ParaMilitary 2 from Brad of Brad's Knives. 15 minutes later, while playing with my new blade, I sliced my finger right open. I cussed twice, right in front of an older gentleman with his 2 grandchildren. By the look of his face, the older gentleman was NOT pleased.

I quickly wrapped my finger in toilet paper in the nasty bathroom of the 1500 Gun and Knife show, and pretty much ran outside to my Jeep to get some bandaids. It was not a very good day....

At least you didn't have to drive in the snow to get to the Band-Aids.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    From the What the Other Guy Did File:

Back in 1992-93, I was taking some classes at Wabash. A young freshman was complaining as we left an exam one day that his pencil had broken and since there was no pencil sharpener in the lecture hall, he was unable to complete the exam.

After realizing that asking why he didn't have a spare would be futile, as would why he didn't ask to borrow one, I blurted-out, "Why didn't you just sharpen it with your pocket knife?"

<crickets chirping>

<no life signs behind the dead eyes>

"You can't sharpen a pencil with a pocket knife," he said (paraphrasing . . . this was a long time ago!)

"Yes you can," I replied as I produced my SAK Explorer and rapidly produced a functional writing point on his previously useless pencil.

Needless to say, he was positively impressed. However, he said, "I don't have a knife."

"So buy one."

"Where?"

"Anywhere. Walmart. Target."

Then I learned that the kid was from a wealthy Pakistani family with servants who did everything for him from birth. He didn't even know how to do laundry, much less how to go to a store to buy a pocket knife. Foolishly I offered to get one for him, which was a ultimately a selfish move since I like shopping for knives and with someone else money it had to be better. So I went to Target and as a starter, I got him a Victorinox Recruit, which I deemed to be an ideal first pocketknife. The next time saw him, we traded the knife for his money and parted ways.

The next day he had a huge bandage on his fingers and he was quite angry. He said to me, "You didn't tell me I could cut myself!" (that's a direct quote)

He was right. I didn't tell him that explicitly. For some reason I had assumed an 18-19 year old attending college would possess that knowledge. That was a reminder that 1) we should not assume, and 2) never trust someone who's an even bigger dumba** than I am with a knife.

So, my bad.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Cut myself with Cold Steel baat jam dao at the NRA Annual Meeting in Indianapolis. Fortunately a minor cut--no stitches. Have hurt myslef in the garage drilling or doing sword vs. spear worse.

fst aslp

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Zionsville, IN
    I let it sit until it was cool. I didn't want to burn any fingertips and lose more feeling.

This was immediately after I got the ring off. Then two days later I snipped the skin off with fingernail clippers so I wasn't trapping bacteria. It had gotten hard and died anyhow.

2014-08-15 20.47.57 by FST ASLP, on Flickr

chibicascade

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I once used my pocket knife to sharpen a bunch of pencils, then decided I wanted to wipe off the graphite from the blade. filleted a good portion of my thumb pad off.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I agree with that. The more you work on sooner or later. Boy Scouts??? I guess now they are using artificial fires so they don't get burned. They won't even let them use knives.

Scouting hasn't made me perfect...but close.

And on a related note, my dad was in scouts "under" rhino's dad.

But I didn't learn anything about scouting from my dad so I can't claim any of the same learnin' that rhino has.

lazarus0213

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   1
    Jan 29, 2010
    Eden
    We were stationed in Germany, as My father was a combat MP. I remeber we had gone on a holiday for my birthday. We stopped at a mall that spanned the autobahn. It was in switzerland and Mom and Dad had thought it would be cool to buy me a swiss army knife while in switzerland. I remeber being so excited and overwhelmed by all the options that were available. After some time I had decided on which model to get and a nice sheath/case with sharping rod. The first thing Dad said to me was "its sharp, do not cut yourself with it" Damnit it all to hell, I didnt even want to cut myself until he told me not to. Well long story short, I cut myself. Not only did I get yelled at for it, but poor ole dad caught hell from mom too!

Top Bottom