• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ThoughtPolice

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    St. Joe County
    First I would quietly and quickly call the police. Secondly I would observe the situation; if it seems as though it may escalate into say a physical altercation at that point I’d intervene. If not then I’d try to either take pictures or video tape it utilizing my cellphone, and wait until the police arrived.

Money from the cashier is not worth it, but her wellbeing is well worth it.

pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    :rolleyes:

You can spin it around and try to make me the bad guy all you want. You'd rather let some poor unfortunate person be murdered than lift a finger to help. You simply don't have what it takes to step in and help others in their moment of need. You know it. I know it. Everyone reading these comments knows it.

What ever superman! No spinning here the scenario was a robbery not murder. Go ahead and do what you have to do and I will do what I need to do we can agree to disagree on this one.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    What ever superman! No spinning here the scenario was a robbery not murder. Go ahead and do what you have to do and I will do what I need to do we can agree to disagree on this one.

Yeah. :rolleyes:

It's just a robbery. Until it's not. That can and sometimes does happen in a split second. But it's not like the lives of others matter to you.

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    That's not a fair assertion. The lives of others do matter to me, which is why I wouldn't risk their lives by intervening until there was more evidence that this was about to become a murder rather than a transaction. The vast majority of robberies do not end in murder.

You're still working under the assumption that you'll pull the trigger and that will be game over. That's a bad assumption.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    That's not a fair assertion. The lives of others do matter to me, which is why I wouldn't risk their lives by intervening until there was more evidence that this was about to become a murder rather than a transaction. The vast majority of robberies do not end in murder.

You're still working under the assumption that you'll pull the trigger and that will be game over. That's a bad assumption.

It's a VERY fair and accurate assertion. You either stop them before they pull that trigger, or you don't. You think you'd have time to fire on someone who's already got a weapon out and pointing at someone else at close range, between the time when they decide to pull that trigger and the time they actually pull that trigger? Who are you... The Flash? NOBODY is that fast. NOBODY. Not even you.

And you say *I* am operating under a bad assumption? LOL.

So yeah. You and a few others around here would absolutely stand there and do nothing, and let the clerk get murdered. And any attempt to justify it, to explain it away as "I was scared the clerk would get murdered" is ludicrous on its face.

I'd have more respect for you if you just said "yeah, I'd let the clerk get murdered because I don't carry a gun to save other people." At least that would be honest.

And with that ... I'm out of this thread. Continued conversation would be pointless.

Last edited:

pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    It's a VERY fair and accurate assertion. You either stop them before they pull that trigger, or you don't. You think you'd have time to fire on someone who's already got a weapon out and pointing at someone else at close range, between the time when they decide to pull that trigger and the time they actually pull that trigger? Who are you... The Flash? NOBODY is that fast. NOBODY. Not even you.

And you say *I* am operating under a bad assumption? LOL.

So yeah. You and a few others around here would absolutely stand there and do nothing, and let the clerk get murdered. And any attempt to justify it, to explain it away as "I was scared the clerk would get murdered" is ludicrous on its face.

I'd have more respect for you if you just said "yeah, I'd let the clerk get murdered because I don't carry a gun to save other people." At least that would be honest.

And with that ... I'm out of this thread. Continued conversation would be pointless.

Since your in the business of making ridiculous assumptions then I am going to play that game too. What if you shoot the robber and it causes him to shoot the cashier? Then you killed 2 people because you assumed the robbery was going to end in a dead cashier. I hope I don't shop at the gas stations you frequent. You are an accident waiting to happen.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    This thread could die, but I like it.
    It is an armed robbery, it only gets worse when the robber starts shooting.

I'd move to a position that the clerk is not in the line of my shot and yell something ridiculous. "Thats a big chicken" . "Your mother was a snow blower". " A jedi craves not." "Over here, over here"

As soon as his weapon is not at the clerks face, I would shoot to till the robber is down.

The objective is to protect the innocent from being murdered.

Most times the robber just wants the money. That is a too big " what if " for me.

Even if the gun is fake it is still a class C felony and anybody that gets hurt from said robbery will be held on the assailant.

The point being is I am my brothers keeper, and I used quotes from "Young Guns", "Short Circuit", "Empire Strikes Back" and "Predator" all in one post.

I will do my best to protect someone that is being robbed.

Doing nothing goes against my Code.

7.62asprin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 8, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    :rolleyes:

You can spin it around and try to make me the bad guy all you want. You'd rather let some poor unfortunate person be murdered than lift a finger to help. You simply don't have what it takes to step in and help others in their moment of need. You know it. I know it. Everyone reading these comments knows it.

Well said.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    As someone working in retail my first reaction is to let the robber go with the cash. It depends how much you trust yourself. As a noob there is no way I even draw. Maybe with more experience I would decide differently. This scenario and the multiple responses illustrate the real burden you take on when deciding to carry. It's a bad situation with no right answer.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    def agree with bombelli.... you guys that say you would do nothing are.... well cowards. And part of what is wrong with america these days. There is NO WAY you can "tell" if the situation is going to escalate until he pulls that trigger.... the robber is in the driver seat. And that is NOT how this world is meant to run. But with all the liberal hippies and a couple of you guys sooooo worried about yourself and your "legal issues" you would rather wait till the very last second to decide if my wife/grandma/sister/mom/aunt/cousin/any female I know or care about is worth your legal battle.

Tell you right now if im behind that counter.... even if my company policy let me carry which i doubt they would no way could I draw on them before being hole punched.

This thread needs a poll added to it I am curious as to how many people on this site agree with the "lawyers" and who agrees with bombelli

to me really.... I think this questions more than just shoot or dont shoot... I think its something like "man" and "coward" because where I am from EVEN if I dont have a gun something will be done besides making video with my cell phone................. that comment made me lol.

FYI I would call the police first IF possible. but not a chance id have enough time to jump through all their hoops and questions before action is required probably DROP my phone to get a more usable tool......

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    why dont you guys get rid of your guns... and just get some really fast cell phones.... dont forget your bug cell phone incase the bad guy smashes your first while your sobbing in the corner.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Regarding the various posts from people who are so darned sure about how they would intervene - if you haven't been in a similar situation and/or had extensive training, you're just blowing smoke. Until someone has been in that situation, they don't know how they will react. And even if someone has been through it, there's no telling how they will react the next time. Unless you are experienced or well-trained, the only honest answer is "here's what I hope I'd do, but I really don't know".

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    lp1 I figured that was implied........... obviously this is not a real scenario.... this is kind of just picking the brain. A test of morality and personal views.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Some people feel comfortable making that decision, and others do not. Wanting to help in such a situation is an individual preference, and I'm not going to knock anyone's choice.
    When I first read this thread, I took it as a face value inquiry between engaging the target (willing to intervene), versus not engaging the target (fear of lawsuits, skill, etc). I did not anticipate the hypotheticals to escalate in detail, to the point of disproving one's choice over another's.
    Since I do not walk around with my firearm in hand pointed at everyone I interact with, when I state 'I would take the shot' it does not mean all I have to do is just pull the trigger.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    wanting to help in that situation should not be a preference it should be a moral obligation if your capable and able.

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Where did I say anything about legal concerns being at the forefront of my mind during something like this? My concerns are that too many people seem willing to escalate a robbery into a shooting by initiating a gunfight. In fact, my concerns have everything to do with the persons involved.

The more you understand violence, the less inclined you will be to want any part of it. Your actions have consequences, and these consequences are more unpredictable than you can imagine. Real life is not a video game. There is no formula for how the bad guys react to our bullets. You can't spontaneously heal your injuries by finding a medpack and, most importantly, you can't start over from the save point if you don't like the outcome.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom