• ...and so much more!
  • chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    If the kid jumped the fence, this is probably a curtilage case, not an occupied vehicle case.

Makes sense. FTA:

They rode about 1½ miles to the alley along Riverview and saw a car with an inside light on parked in a fenced-in alley-facing driveway.

Ernest said they decided to hop the fence and look inside the car. He said he stood as lookout next to the driver’s side while Martinez and the friend looked through the car.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    :S

I used to live there . . . it's right on Rocky Ford. Not a bad area at all. Are you thinking of the other "wood" apartments down closer to the east side Wal-Mart?

It was popular with a lot of hospital staff when I lived there, IIRC I had nurses living on either side of me.

I have a coworker that used to live there and another coworker that is down closer to the airport and both are not surprised this happened in the area. Surrounding areas are getting worse & 25th is no longer the "line of demarcation" for "stupid"... That murder / suicide from earlier this year was right off 25th & within walking distance of my home.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Son, we live in a world that has cars, and the stuff in those cars has to be guarded by men with guns in apartment complex parking lots. Who’s gonna do it? You? You, Officer Blue? He has a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for the thief, and you curse the apartment dweller. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what he knows. That the thief’s stained underwear, while tragic, probably saved stuff in cars. And his existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves stuff in cars. You don’t want the truth because deep down in places you don’t talk about at parties, you want him in that parking lot, you need him in that parking lot. He uses words like "hispanic", "Jetta", "dark colored". He uses these words as the backbone of a life spent defending stuff in cars. You use them as a punchline. He has neither the time nor the inclination to explain himself to a man who rises and sleeps near the blanket of the protection of stuff in cars that he provides, and then questions the manner in which he provides it. He would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way. Otherwise, he suggests you pick up a weapon and stand a post protecting stuff in cars. Either way, he doesn’t give a damn what you think you are entitled to.

Hey....wait a minute....are you related to a Colonel Nathan Jessup?

Call any "code reds?"

(Nobody else pick this up? :cool: )

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I have a coworker that used to live there and another coworker that is down closer to the airport and both are not surprised this happened in the area. Surrounding areas are getting worse & 25th is no longer the "line of demarcation" for "stupid"... That murder / suicide from earlier this year was right off 25th & within walking distance of my home.

What area would you be "surprised" if this occurred there? Is there someplace that is immune to kids rummaging through unlocked cars? It's quite common in Carmel.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I think we need to change Indiana law so we CAN Legaly shoot at thieves. I bet it would reduce crime

I bet it would also lead to a fair bit of unintended loss of property and/or life. A firearm shouldn't be viewed as a tool to catch non-violent offenders.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I heard our own Guy Relford discussing this on WIBC this afternoon.
    He explained the fully justified legal trouble this man is in.
    None of us (I hope!) likes thieves, but that doesn't mean it's okay to just go after them while they are not a threat with guns a-blazing.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I bet it would also lead to a fair bit of unintended loss of property and/or life. A firearm shouldn't be viewed as a tool to catch non-violent offenders.

For non-violent offenders use one of these:

View attachment 43269

Not barred by the IC, and when's the last time you ever heard anyone talking about a trident as deadly force. Plus it has barbs to hold the offender until the police arrive.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    What area would you be "surprised" if this occurred there? Is there someplace that is immune to kids rummaging through unlocked cars? It's quite common in Carmel.

When it comes to Columbus, yes there are some places I'd be surprised to find out things like this had occurred. The news reports have left out a few details that I've had shared with me, but I'm not in a position to share on here, since I can't officially confirm them. I will say that I'll be surprised if it was a "kid rummaging through unlocked cars." And, my wife works in Carmel... Doesn't surprise me in the least how much it happens up there.

singlemalt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2015
    Frankfort
    I think we need to change Indiana law so we CAN Legaly shoot at thieves. I bet it would reduce crime

When a criminal attacks you he is threatening to take your life and you have the right to defend yourself. When he steals your property he only steals a small portion of your life but he's still taking part of your life but this you don't have a right to protect. Property represents a sort of "time" bank if you will. You use your time to acquire property. Yes you can replace property that is stolen but you must give up some more of the time you might have used acquiring other property to do so. And our time here on earth is finite.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    When a criminal attacks you he is threatening to take your life and you have the right to defend yourself. When he steals your property he only steals a small portion of your life but he's still taking part of your life but this you don't have a right to protect. Property represents a sort of "time" bank if you will. You use your time to acquire property. Yes you can replace property that is stolen but you must give up some more of the time you might have used acquiring other property to do so. And our time here on earth is finite.

Just a suggestion. Don't use that defense in court.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

Agreed.

BUT as pointed out.......... the ****ing criminals have more rights than you do.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Probably. Felony v misdemeanor.

And after attending the class that you and Aron Bright taught about a dozen of us have a much better idea of what may or may not be the correct thing to do in that type of situation. Thanks again for my most enlightening outing of the year and I'm looking forward to the next one.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Glock certified armorer- M&P Certified armorer
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]

Top Bottom