• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    You may want to buy a new gun...believe me, I've been there. But this seems to make the most sense to me:

If you've been comfortable with the 12 all these years, keep it. Practice with light target or skeet loads (buy em, or better yet make your own to suit your needs) and load it up full bore for home defense. Light loads in a full-size 12 gauge will be the mildest combination possible. Should you have to use it in a defensive situation you won't feel the recoil...and you'll have the most effective amount of lead going down range.

Changing from the 870 platform that you're familiar with to another brand may not be a good idea should it be needed in a stressful situation. Also, going to a smaller (and lighter) 20 gauge shotgun may just result in the same, or more, felt recoil on the shoulder...and less lead on target, everyone loses.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I have a Winchester 1897 (U.S. WW II vintage) riot gun. Of course it's 12 gauge and only has a butt plate. It seems to be softer shooting than my 12 gauge Remington 870.

Most excellent !!! I shot a model 12 riot model Saturday and I want one bad now. They don't make them like those anymore! Op my house gun is a Remington 11-87 police. Not bad recoil wise at all.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Know what else will help moreso than a new semi-automatic shotgun?

Having correct length of pull and learning better technique in shouldering/firing the shotgun.

If you have the stock...uh...stock on the shotgun, it's too long. You'll want 12-13" LOP on a shotgun meant for defensive purposes.

And you'll want to learn the "push-pull" technique for recoil mitigation. Seriously. It'll make you wonder why you haven't been doing it your whole life.

These things + low-recoil loads and it'll be as if the heavens have opened up and Glory is shining upon you.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ...And you'll want to learn the "push-pull" technique for recoil mitigation. Seriously. It'll make you wonder why you haven't been doing it your whole life. ...

OP, if you haven't tried this, try it. Essentially, you push forward with the reaction side, and pull the stock into your shoulder with the strong hand (hence "push-pull"). This creates a pretensioned "shock absorber" of sorts with your off arm. Works well.

happysmitie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2016
    crawfordsville
    thanks for the info...
    maybe will stick to 12 gauge for the reason i have lots of 12 gauge ammo ! the 930 sbx mossberg has some pretty good reviews and it being an auto would be a big help in the recoil dept. priced one thru local dealer at $730 + tax . may attend a gun show in next few weeks to do some price checking . all this is not etched in iron yet .... will try to get some info on the ksg shotgun . is that the name of it or do the letters stand for something ? price ?

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I have both a 930/SPX and a KSG. If you're looking for a softer shooter, don't consider the KSG. Compared to the 930 it kicks like a mule. The KSG is also a bullpup design so it is different to load and operate. For me it is a fun range toy at this point although there are some owners who've become confident enough in theirs to use them in home defense. As for the 930, mine is one of my main home defense guns after running it a lot and getting confident in handling it and confident in its reliability. I have a number of 12 gauge shotguns both pump and semi-auto and I find the 930 to be the least abusive on my chest/shoulder. I say chest because I've adopted a style of running a shotgun that moves the butt inward on my chest/pectoral muscle area and away from the shoulder a bit. Along with the push/pull method others have mentioned, I find it helps reduce the beating your body might otherwise get. There's something about the gas system of the 930 design that seems to soften the recoil impulse. Having said all of that, I don't own one but recently got to shoot the Mossberg SA-20 which is a 20 gauge version that is very similar to the 12 gauge 930. It feels even better and MSRP is only $568
    Mossberg SA-20

930 on top
    SPX%202_zpstnf7lkzl.jpg

KSG for reference
    KSG_With_Eotech_Side_Large_zpsa0oqimvq.jpg

dshaf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    I have a Rock Island Amory M5 12 gauge pump. It has the smoothest action I have ever seen. It is a inexpensive great home defense weapon.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    If you do enough of your own research, you may get away from a shotgun all together for home defense. I did, it makes much more sense to use a handgun with high capacity mags. Such as a 9mm of some sort. Have you ever done a house clearing exercise in your home? If not, you should try it with a long gun vs. a handgun. Also you may want a low recoil handgun in case you get shot, your wife or kids (if you have them) can pick up that weapon and run it.

I keep a handgun and a PS90 for home defense. PS90 shoots 5.7x28 and has a 50 round mag, very low recoil, my wife and kids can easily run that gun.
    Let's hope none of us ever face that situation, but you should do some house clearing drills and teach whomever may live with you how to use whatever firearm you choose to use.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    A shotgun does have a role in HD, it is great from a barricade position such as behind the bed facing the door, nothing is coming into that room in one piece. They, along with any log gun, do suck when it come to clearing the house.

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    One point in favor of sticking with the 12ga is lack of a good selection of HD ammo for the 20ga. My grandfather gave me his two 20ga shotguns that he's owned since the Great Depression, and while they are family heirlooms and not my main HD shotguns, I wanted to make sure I had some buckshot loads for them. It took me weeks of searching, both online and in local stores before I finally found some buckshot (at some little gun shop in Martinsville that I randomly stopped at).

This is as opposed to 12ga, where even Walmart has a decent selection of buckshot and other defensive rounds for the 12ga.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    Remington 870 12 ga. tacticool for me. Plus pistol on the nightstand. I did put a laser and light on the shotgun and had the stock sights replaced with a fiber optic front and a ghost ring on the rear.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    The answer is obvious: Twelve gauge with moderate power loads ("high brass" and other heavy/fast loads are unnecessary and recoil harshly) for fixed position, with a decent handgun for clearing the house or otherwise going mobile in semi-confined areas.

Top Bottom