• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rz317

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2008
    My 3-Gun Benelli

Here's my M2 that I use for 3-Gun/Multi-Gun competition. I've been receiving some questions about my shotgun, so I'll show some pictures.
    DSCF0142.jpg

DSCF0146.jpg

DSCF0147.jpg

DSCF0151.jpg

DSCF0155.jpg

The magazine extension, barrel clamp, bolt release button, and charge handle are from Nordic Components. Mods: Lightened bolt, beveled loading gate, polished shell stop, lapped action, 3.5# trigger job, Hi-Viz front sight on custom riser, 10/22 flip-up rear sight dovetailed into rib, bolt has also been modified so it can be loaded out of battery, and to hold an additional shell on the carrier.

RZ

Last edited:

Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    bolt has also been modified so it can be loaded out of battery, and to hold an additional shell on the carrier.

I didn't know you needed a mod to do that, but I'm not as familiar with the M2 as the M1. Several of my freinds and I have M1s and that's how they operate normally. You can cycle it to eject a round without pulling one from the tube or push the round below the bolt and chamber one on top of it. That way you wind up with a chambered round, one on the carrier and a full tube.

That was a big selling point for many swat teams as they could quickly swap the chambered round for a breaching round, a bean bag, or whatever the situation required.

rz317

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2008
    I didn't know you needed a mod to do that, but I'm not as familiar with the M2 as the M1. Several of my freinds and I have M1s and that's how they operate normally. You can cycle it to eject a round without pulling one from the tube or push the round below the bolt and chamber one on top of it. That way you wind up with a chambered round, one on the carrier and a full tube.

That was a big selling point for many swat teams as they could quickly swap the chambered round for a breaching round, a bean bag, or whatever the situation required.

Only the older M1s can do it with the full tube. Newer M1s and M2s must have the bolts modified to do it. At some point, for whatever reason, Benelli started putting a notch on the bolt that wouldn't allow it. I remember hearing that it had something to do with migratory bird laws, and hunters able to load more than the legal capacity even with a plug. I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not.

For 3-Gun this feature isn't really that useful in Tactical Divisions because you can only start a stage with a maximum of 9 rounds loaded.

However, what can really save your butt is being able to load the tube while out of battery. No factory Benelli can do this. If for whatever reason your bolt fails to go into battery and you don't realize and you go to reload... adrenaline pumping, you grab a handful of shells and go to furiously stuff them into the gun and, CRUNCH!!!!! Now a shell's jammed halfway into the loading gate, in a bind between the tube and the carrier. I have see this happen so badly that the shell had to be pried out with a pocket knife! With a modified bolt, if you fail to go into battery, you'll be able to load normally, and when you pull the trigger and it goes click, just rack the bolt and keep on blasting.

RZ

Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    Only the older M1s can do it with the full tube. Newer M1s and M2s must have the bolts modified to do it. At some point, for whatever reason, Benelli started putting a notch on the bolt that wouldn't allow it. I remember hearing that it had something to do with migratory bird laws, and hunters able to load more than the legal capacity even with a plug. I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not.

For 3-Gun this feature isn't really that useful in Tactical Divisions because you can only start a stage with a maximum of 9 rounds loaded.

However, what can really save your butt is being able to load the tube while out of battery. No factory Benelli can do this. If for whatever reason your bolt fails to go into battery and you don't realize and you go to reload... adrenaline pumping, you grab a handful of shells and go to furiously stuff them into the gun and, CRUNCH!!!!! Now a shell's jammed halfway into the loading gate, in a bind between the tube and the carrier. I have see this happen so badly that the shell had to be pried out with a pocket knife! With a modified bolt, if you fail to go into battery, you'll be able to load normally, and when you pull the trigger and it goes click, just rack the bolt and keep on blasting.

RZ

Nice, and good to know. My friends and I for whatever reason have all wound up with the ancient HK import Benellis. Based on the serials mine has it was imported in 92-93. I've heard people say you can't do it before and I'd imagine that's why. I've never seen one partially on the carrier before, I guess I'm lucky on that.

rz317

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2008
    To rz317, how many rounds do you load? Thats gotta save you tons of reloading time. where'd ya get the belt with the shotgun shell holder?

Greatestsin,
    My Benelli can hold a total of 12 rounds, but when I compete I can only have a maximum of 8+1 rounds in the gun before the start signal. After the buzzer, however capacity isn't restricted and you can stuff additional shells into the gun if it makes sense to. Reloading eats a lot of time no matter how you do it. Being able to load additional shells can be an advantage in that it affords me some versatility in my plan of attack.
    The belt is a CR Speed that I got from Brownells. The shell holders are made by Choate, and I got them from Midway.

RZ

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    picture.php

picture.php

Mossberg 500a with ATI pistol grip full stock, Cabelas elastic 5 shell holder, Pachmayr Decelerator slip-on recoil pad, 18.5" breaching barrel(also came with a 28" bird barrel), UTG tri-rail flashlight barrel mount, and Surefire G2 flashlight. (The shells in the holder are Remington TAC-8 law enforcement 2 3/4" "00" buck.)

Anonymous

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Noblesville
    Belgium Light 12

Never been fired, and this very well may be the only time it's been out of it's box and assembled, since it was purchased in 1974. Still has the cosmoline (or whatever they used).

IMG00141-20100307-1435.jpg
    IMG00140-20100307-1435.jpg

And, I'm not sure I can bring myself to pull the trigger!

Last edited:

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    Never been fired, and this very well may be the only time it's been out of it's box and assembled, since it was purchased in 1974. Still has the cosmoline (or whatever they used).

IMG00141-20100307-1435.jpg
    IMG00140-20100307-1435.jpg

best one I've seen on this bored:yesway: I'd have a hard time not shooting that one!

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    My Mossy 500A. From the factory with a 28" barrel, modified choke. Bought a 18.5" factory barrel, also a shell holder for the stock. Plain, and simple just the way I like it. At 10 yards, I get about a 6" spread with 00 buck.

001-4.jpg

Top Bottom