• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I dunno, I've shot clays with friends' Superposed (one also had a Broadway Trap that was pretty fun) and tried to snag an old Ithaca 20 side by side a while back (not an SKB).

Hunted with a Redlabel 12, think they should have made a 20 in stainless (like All Weather 12) but with walnut stock.... cool bunny popper.

Dove or geese..........I've used 870's but prefer 1100s. For the triple :)

Liked my Simmons tweaked Ithaca 51 20 gauge yrs ago, if that shell feed latch didn't pinch the crap outta me or snag my glove.

Auto 5.........feel weird to me and dislike the sighting plane. Used an Invector Light 20 yrs ago. In my best Mr. Horse voice.........."No sir, didn't like it".

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I agree with OP. Try to trade a shotgun in the classifieds, and see what responses you get. Most people will even put in the ad, "Not interested in shotguns". Like the other posters said, I think it is because most of us already has a Remington 870, and don't need another one, because they know that there is none better. But in general, shotguns seem to have the lowest interest here. I suppose the biggest reason is that we all probably started off as beginners with shotguns.

They are the guns our fathers used to deer hunt with, and taught us to shoot at an early age. There is little mystery to the good old shotgun. I think there is a strong desire to legalize rifle calibers for deer in Indiana, like the 30-30, and to modernize the sport. People want a smaller, lighter, longer range weapon these days, because that is more exciting, and frankly more practical. We want to customize our AR, and have different caliber uppers for different game. We want something more than the shotgun, I believe, or we wouldn't have joined this forum, and expanded our gun collection to include more exotic stuff.

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    The 12 ga shotgun is the most devastating home defense weapon you're going to use. Few know how to use it properly. No one wants to talk about them unless they're bolting lasers, quad rails or red dots to them.

I guess everyone has the opinion that they will point a shotgun in the general direction of a threat and *poof* - up they go in a cloud of green smoke like the Wicked Witch of the West. No need to aim this Shoulder Cannon of Death.

...and there's always some guy that wants to throw a shotgun across his back (JIC) so he has his hands free to mow down the waves of the undead with his MIA + 3k rounds of ammo each!

I'd look elsewhere for reality.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Those who call them such will not have anything sold to them by me.
    I also will not buy from them.
    And I won't help when they post problems with their gear.
    I deal with it just fine :)

Well, good. Did not know I was in such elite company. I and my 8 or so Shoty's will be just fine with out your expertise. It is a term such as one would use on a pet. No harm no foul.................................;)

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    I have four shotguns. Soon to be adding a .410 to the mix. I want my youngest son to be able to do skeet with us instead of just the clay launcher.

I know its not the best but at least he can get used to it. Since I already have .410 in the arsenal I will just add another.

I have and always will be interested in Shottys (sorry Hookeye)!

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I agree with OP. Try to trade a shotgun in the classifieds, and see what responses you get. Most people will even put in the ad, "Not interested in shotguns". Like the other posters said, I think it is because most of us already has a Remington 870, and don't need another one, because they know that there is none better. But in general, shotguns seem to have the lowest interest here. I suppose the biggest reason is that we all probably started off as beginners with shotguns.

They are the guns our fathers used to deer hunt with, and taught us to shoot at an early age. There is little mystery to the good old shotgun. I think there is a strong desire to legalize rifle calibers for deer in Indiana, like the 30-30, and to modernize the sport. People want a smaller, lighter, longer range weapon these days, because that is more exciting, and frankly more practical. We want to customize our AR, and have different caliber uppers for different game. We want something more than the shotgun, I believe, or we wouldn't have joined this forum, and expanded our gun collection to include more exotic stuff.

How is an AR more practical than a shotgun?

Oldbird13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    Hamilton County,IN
    Had a former "almost my brother-in-law" who used a shot gun to get rid of chipmunks INSIDE his home. When he heard the scratching in the wall, he started blasting away. I guess he felt extensive drywall wall work was no big deal. If you are out there Mike, hope you are doing OK. Miss camping with you.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If one owns a shotgun, then how is using a "modern rifle" more practical? Isn't that an added expense????

Inside of 75 yards a full bore foster slug lets out a lot of air and paint on a deer. Sabots and rifled bore one can go to 150 yds pretty easily.

They work fine. Hell, I've blasted a few dozen with them. Fosters to 150, same for Sabots (but most Foster stuff 100 and under).

But as in most things, there usually are tricks to getting the best out of one's equipment.
    Like buying all your slugs from one lot, experimenting to find what works best and maybe even doing a trigger job or fitting the bbl better.............and with the high recoil of most slug loads, from what I've seen................the average shooter is rather limited (by skill and knowledge of the equipment) to shorter yardages.

I wonder too, if giving them .44 mag rifle is going to better their hits (less flinch, more practice for the $) or will they still shoot only OK and apply it to longer range (in effect gain nothing or possibly even have lesser effectiveness).

Changing uppers on an AR is expensive and I fail to see how that is practical.
    I pretty much subscribe to that with shotguns as well.
    Why change barrels to hunt something different.............why not get a whole different gun?

Ex: have a goose gun, a rabbit gun and a dedicated deer gun (with proper stock for whatever sighting system one chooses).

jb1911

Expert
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Dyer, IN
    A lot of good points here, GlockTalk has a separate Tactical Shotgun forum that has little activity as well. ShotgunWorld is a great forum for SG info.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    Such hipster wordsmithing would allow an individual to claim "rap artist" as occupation.

Now that is funny. I actually did laugh out loud. Not quite a room shaking belly laugh that wakes the house, but definitely detectable from the next room causing my cats, not named caty BTW, to give me a look.

I think the line of thinking that all first guns are 22's or shotguns and therefore are most familiar and taken somewhat for granted and not given much thought is very possible. Excluding bb or pellet guns, I know that my first firearm was a single shot shotgun that I still have.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Shotguns are not rifles. They're shotguns, and as such work best in that capacity.

They can be made to shoot solid projectiles, but it's a compromise. 1:30 twist, 12,000psi breech limit, just aren't fantastic numbers when you're pushing 250 + grains through the air.

Carbines aren't a lot better, but better none the less.

Perhaps one day we'll get to shoot actual rifles in Indiana at things other than paper and varmits.

In the mean time, the shotgun still gets it done in every season, and is a fantastic tool to use when defending your castle. Shot placement is key, as noted earlier. Well...unless you're shooting shot out of a short rifled bore blunderbuss style.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Probably the most under rated, under appreciated, and affordable firearm to own. You really need 3 or 4 different styles to cover all aspects 100%. Hunting, protection, target shooting(aiming for hunting w/ optics), sporting clays, etc.

I wanted a "wrist rocket" slingshot when I was a kid, Dad said "no way". He took me to Sears and Roebuck and bought me a bolt action Stevens 410ga. shotgun. Refinished the stock 2 or 3 times from finish being worn thin from carrying in the field.

We then went to my cousins farm and learned how to hunt rabbits and squirrels .Been shooting shotguns for over 40yrs now!
    I own numerous shotguns, and have a use for each. Get one, or ... three if you like.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    12 gauge foster slug

1 oz = 437 grains.
    .720" bore diameter

Puts deer down pretty good within 75 yards. Can go farther, but sometimes the regular fosters do silly stuff after contact.

I like the old WW Hi-Impact Surpeme sabot slugs in 2 3/4". They were of the old BRI style slug shape, but didn't just whistle through like a BRI.

Crumpled deer, best way to describe it.

Shame they dropped them and went with that Partition stuff. They brought them back for a while but I dunno if they still make them, or they've been totally dropped (and if so for how long).

Stuff worked very well for me. Shot 1.5" groups at 100 yds with a couple of tweaked 870's.

Out of a good setup, I'd have no prob taking shots to 150 yards with that load. Confident.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I had a cat named Wendell, he was a cat not a Wendell.

He was Wendell the cat....yes..
    I hope you are in good humor about this as I am. If not...........:dunno:

To exclude an individual for the mere use of a word or a phrase is a bit much as we are all gun people, yes.

When my uncle told me (at 12 yrs.) to get the shoty's from the truck, well, they have been shoty's, shotguns, scatter-guns (other uncle) ever since and that was 50 years ago.

I have several and all in 12 gauge for any and all purposes from trap, hunting both fowl and deer to tactical. Love them all.

Top Bottom