Should attacking cops result in stiffer penalties ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    So basically what you are saying is the police are to blame.

Partly yes, partly no.

The general officers are not in a position of power, regrettably. I am speaking of the training that has been forced upon them along with responsibilities that have been forced upon them that didn't used to be their area of concern.

Here is an easy example. I use this because I do believe most LEO on the street want to use tools that work, tools that are actually effective and produce proven results. So why don't most LE units shut down DARE and stop wasting their time with it?:dunno:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10450631
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-just-say-no-doesnt-work/
    Drug Abuse Resistance Education: The Effectiveness of DARE
    https://priceonomics.com/dare-the-anti-drug-program-that-never-actually/

Heck, we have DARE license plates in Indiana...:rolleyes:

The third article actually mentions that while the program would be dead on its back and planted in the ground IF we relied only on facts, the truth is it makes us FEEL good. Golly, that is good LE practice, is it?

This is just one issue within LE that I do not personally respect. I do not disrespect the officers that do the DARE program, but I do not approve of the program and as such consider this one aspect of LE that is ridiculous.

I don't think that you would argue that prohibition undermined the respect for LE as a ridiculous exercise. People flocked to speakeasy's and many millions of citizens conspired against LE on the issue of drinking. This was NOT the fault of the LEO's on the street or even in administrative positions, but it was their face the people saw. Regrettably, this was pushed upon them by the external political whims I spoke of earlier.

In the end there are many reasons, not all of which carry equal weight. But I do believe the respect is eroding due to a shift in the internal cultural mindset and the external political forces being placed upon them.

Regards,

Doug

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    The example I cited was police officer's cruisers parked in their own driveways overnight. Does this, then, become outside of official capacity ? I would say yes.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    The example I cited was police officer's cruisers parked in their own driveways overnight. Does this, then, become outside of official capacity ? I would say yes.
    Is it outside the official capacity when people knock on my door because they see a police car in the driveway?

Thread needs a poll.

Attachments

• pole.png
      pole.png
      1.6 KB · Views: 3
    Last edited:

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    That comes with a take home car and being a public servant,
    if it's a hassle park it in the garage or leave it at work.
    So the perk comes with the job. And the perk may require extra credit work. I agree completely.

So shouldn't the extra protection come with the job?

If I'm expected to work from home....shouldn't working from home have the same benefits and protection?

Last edited:

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    Clay, that is a dangerous position to consider. Walks uncomfortably close to "you invited it upon yourself because you are a cop".

Lib - your discussion point regarding illegal substances really could be better served addressing it through lawmakers rather than those who enforce laws.

Full disclosure, my kid brother carries a badge. It was an easy transition after 10+ years in the military. Early on, I never liked that he always carried off duty - I thought it was odd to need a firearm. He told me about a few times he had encountered someone he had arrested at the grocery story, gas station, etc... and he had his kids with him. A few times he knew the person recognized him. LEO's deal with some very shady scum bags every day. Should there be special penalties for crimes against officers if those crimes are BECAUSE they are officers? Yes. Should crimes in general be handled differently? Absolutely...but that discussion would belong in a different thread...

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    ...Lib - your discussion point regarding illegal substances really could be better served addressing it through lawmakers rather than those who enforce laws...

It isn't just illegal substances, but the fact is that LE IS the face of the war on drugs. Should they be? No. Are they? Yes.

Let's go back to Robert Peel. His 9th Principle states, "The test of police efficiency is the absence of crime and disorder, not the visible evidence of police action in dealing with them."

Does LE follow this concept today? NOT IN THE LEAST! They plaster every major drug seizure on every news channel. This is not the fault of 90% of the LEO's serving our community, but rather the higher ups all wanting the glory for great busts. But this isn't just limited to the drug war, it happens all the time with any significant police interaction.

Part of this is not LE fault. Our society today thrives on the "...if it bleeds, it leads..." in the media business. The issue I have is that the politicians/bureaucrats of police haven't pushed back against this, they have embraced it.

They also lie by giving out red herrings on the true effectiveness of their efforts. Every time there is a major bust they make a big deal out of the street value. This means nothing to drug lord Ernesto Escobedo, who has lost nothing of his investment. Hell, most American companies lose more in local taxes than drug cartels lose in drug seizures. One British study showed that the entire world war on drugs stops 0.2% of drugs from reaching the public. It is a dismal failure. So good ole' Ernesto keeps 99.8% of the profit. (If that study was accurate.)

None of this is LE fault directly, as they have been put in a no win situation. However, show me the police chief, elected sheriff who will SAY THIS in a public forum? I am sure there is one, somewhere, but not many. So by the silence of LE leadership the entire community suffers.

I believe we need a serious paradigm shift by the citizens of this country as to what we should realistically expect from LE. We keep dumping more and more and more on them God bless 'em they just keep taking it. The problem is they need some loudmouth on their side to say "ENOUGH! NO MORE!" Regrettably, like many politicians, their leadership is afraid to say to the public, "That isn't our responsibility, it is YOURS."

Regards,

Doug

Top Bottom