Should Indiana deer hunters be allowed to use high-powered rifles.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Adrian8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    I vote yes....anyone who has wanted to hunt with a rifle for the last several years could do so, as long as they could afford a custom .358..a .44 magnum rifle, .460 Smith, 450 Bushmaster etc. or..trim some off the neck of a .35 Rem for the rifle then reload it. Pistols in all large rifle calibers have been legal for years. Ever seen a .458 Win Mag pistol?, yep, I saw one for sale in Indiana, would be legal. I know a guy who hunts with a .7mm Mag pistol... Rifles kick less, are more accurate, and are much cheaper and lighter to carry as a rule.. It will be nice for a lady or small child to use a nice light low recoiling .243 instead or a hard kicking slug gun. The ninnies from Indy, that run the DNR have always prevented this, supposedly for safety...High speed rifle ammo rarely ricochets unlike slow moving ammo like slugs and .22 rimfires. (yes, I know we don't hunt deer with .22 rim fires) If the DNR want to help the quality of the deer herd in Indiana they should shorten the gun season by a week and ban spotlighting... My.02

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Spotlighting?
    Wait, what?
    You mean what's colloquilly known as "jacklighting?"
    I always thought that was illegal as hell here.
    In fact, if you get caught shining a light on deer at night with a gun in your vehicle or on your person at all, I'm certain that you will get prosecuted, including likely forfeiture of not just your gun, but your vehicle.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Yep. If I can shot a coyote with a 30-30, why not a deer? I came here from kentucky and always thought this was stupid. I have seen more deer gut shot, or shot and ran here. Never happens with a big bullet.

Where did this info come from ? So if you gut shoot a deer with a slug it's smaller then a 30-30 ? Hmmmmm, I guess you learn something everyday... Add purple as you see fit.

Last edited:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Spotlighting?
    Wait, what?
    You mean what's colloquilly known as "jacklighting?"
    I always thought that was illegal as hell here.
    In fact, if you get caught shining a light on deer at night with a gun in your vehicle or on your person at all, I'm certain that you will get prosecuted, including likely forfeiture of not just your gun, but your vehicle.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...potlighting-deer-while-possesion-handgun.html

Jacklighting is a very specific definition. You can shine lights on wildlife outside of your vehicle while armed as long as you aren't in pursuit/chase/attempting to kill etc (read my link for more info). You can use the light of your car while armed as well as long as you aren't in pursuit/chase/attempting to kill etc. While unarmed you can shine lights all you want.

"Spotlighting" is generally known as people driving around unarmed and shining lights for deer. It's a method of scouting employed by some; a method of poaching employed by others. Doing this can give you an idea of where the deer are hanging out at night which may allow you to pattern them for when season comes in (or allows poachers to find out where to hunt). It's a controversial issue that ultimately boils down to the fact that poachers will poach no matter what.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...potlighting-deer-while-possesion-handgun.html

Jacklighting is a very specific definition. You can shine lights on wildlife outside of your vehicle while armed as long as you aren't in pursuit/chase/attempting to kill etc (read my link for more info). You can use the light of your car while armed as well as long as you aren't in pursuit/chase/attempting to kill etc. While unarmed you can shine lights all you want.

"Spotlighting" is generally known as people driving around unarmed and shining lights for deer. It's a method of scouting employed by some; a method of poaching employed by others. Doing this can give you an idea of where the deer are hanging out at night which may allow you to pattern them for when season comes in (or allows poachers to find out where to hunt). It's a controversial issue that ultimately boils down to the fact that poachers will poach no matter what.

Thank You for shedding some light on that subject. :):

Adrian8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    So what is the expected date when the new bill for High Power hunting come up for vote? One last thought on spotlighting...many trophy bucks..the 160+ class are generally only seen at night, and can be seen quite regular in a given spot in late summer/fall with a light..These deer will temp the trashy poacher or some weak willed individual, especially if alcohol is involved to poach it. If the temptation is not there, the deer will live to be hunted fairly, and as a C.O. I talked to said, at least outlaw it in hunting season. Granted 99% of spot lighters are truly just "lookers", but, it only takes one bad apple in your hunting area to kill all your trophies. My .02

Top Bottom