• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    I have a 226 in 9mm and a glock 19. like the sig more but carry the 19. Its heavy, and big. and expensive. next sig I buy will be a M11-A1 way down the road though. to many other projects right now.

invent11

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 11, 2015
    Fishers
    Remember that this is the choice weapon of navy seals - I would classify them as top instructors. I own an mk25 which is basically a 226 and it is one of the more accurate and reliable weapons I own.. Also- some top instructors are paid by manufactures or get many perks.

Jake226

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 7, 2012
    Bloomington
    I've had two of the elite series P226 pistols, a Dark Elite in .40 and currently a Tac Ops in 9mm. I wouldn't want to carry a P226 every day, but come range time (or even on days that I open carry) they aren't bad at all. They are heavier, but that helps a little with accuracy I think. Like others have said, they just have a sweet trigger with the SRT package on them. I've never shot any pistol better than I do my Tac Ops. Another thing to consider is how well they hold their value. Seems that theres really only two price ranges for Sig Elites, 1K for a new elite or about 800 for a used one. Not bashing Glocks or other polymers (I'm not a competitive shooter) but I prefer having the weight of a real gun in my hand when its time for recreation. That being said, I carry a XDS .45 every day bc of how LIGHT it is and how easily it conceals.

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    Love my 226. It is my SHTF gun and nightstand gun. A little heavy for my EDC as I live in a very hot climate. My Dan Wesson Gardian 9MM is my EDC. Sometimes my Sig 238

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Remember that this is the choice weapon of navy seals - I would classify them as top instructors. I own an mk25 which is basically a 226 and it is one of the more accurate and reliable weapons I own.. Also- some top instructors are paid by manufactures or get many perks.
    I agree, and would add that the weapon a Navy Seal carries is not something you strap on under a light shirt and wear throughout a day of shopping etc. The standards for the weapons they carry must meet a much higher level of environments. A gun that carries and works well for police, Feds, etc. is not the same one that is going to drop into the ocean, scuba up to the muddy shore, be sprayed by sand in the desert, etc. etc. The Navy Seal weapons are chosen also because the environments they are subjected to put them in a whole other class. I also add that although most here shoot, and don't limp wrist a handgun, the heavier weight of a Sig not only helps me stay on target, it will give weight for the slide to push giving it a much lower chance of jamming when fired. A light polymer gun is more apt to do this than the old heavy ones.

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I carry a 226 mk25 probably 200-250 days a year. I shoot it alot. I have owned and own a pistol from almost every major manufacturer. The sig 226 is what i come back to every time. If i could choose one pistol it would be the 226. I have 15k rounds (give or take a hundred or so either direction) through it with no malfunctions which is something i cannot say about any other pistol i own.

Whether or not that is a fluke i dont know. Maintenance is easy on them and detailed stripping of the gun is not bad either. For me its a toss up between glock and sig on ease of detailed stripping and reassembly.

INgunowner

ARC Solutions
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    Henry County
    Having only owned an SP2022 I can't speak to the pro/cons of the 226/229. However Sig Sauer's "budget" priced SP2022 is a fine piece of kit.
    It rounds out the top 3 slot of my stable, Glock 17Gen3, S&W M&P9, SIG SP2022.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Reading through this thread I get the impression that the 226 is a great combat firearm. It gets high marks from law enforcement, military and people interested in SHTF scenarios and home defense.

The gamers seem to be a little less enthusiastic about them, though they still do like them. Maybe just not as much as other options for stuff like IDPA, USPSA, etc.

I am torn. I have shot my brothers 226 and I like it. But I also think I want something if I take up USPSA one day. I am really okay with my 1911 9mm for IDPA and I'd probably use my Ruger MKII for Steel Challenge.

But I still think I should have at least one high capacity 9mm pistol.:)

I also prefer to stay with recognized brands that hold/increase their value and appeal to a broad range of buyers. And that means for handguns, it would most likely be Smith, Ruger, Sig.

singlemalt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2015
    Frankfort
    I have an older German made P226 and love the trigger on that thing. Plus as others have noted being a bit heavier than a poly gun limp wristing is less of an issue especially with noobies you take to the range.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Reading through this thread I get the impression that the 226 is a great combat firearm. It gets high marks from law enforcement, military and people interested in SHTF scenarios and home defense.

The gamers seem to be a little less enthusiastic about them, though they still do like them. Maybe just not as much as other options for stuff like IDPA, USPSA, etc.

I am torn. I have shot my brothers 226 and I like it. But I also think I want something if I take up USPSA one day. I am really okay with my 1911 9mm for IDPA and I'd probably use my Ruger MKII for Steel Challenge.

But I still think I should have at least one high capacity 9mm pistol.:)

I also prefer to stay with recognized brands that hold/increase their value and appeal to a broad range of buyers. And that means for handguns, it would most likely be Smith, Ruger, Sig.

Dont be so sure. I know a guy that shoots a P226 in competition. He loves his sigs. On the top levels, what you see in competitors hands is a function of who is giving them money. If you handed them a British Bulldog they would still outshoot most of us. They spend their time working on the shooter, not the gun. The 226 is an awesome weapon, and I'll own another one at some point.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Dont be so sure. I know a guy that shoots a P226 in competition. He loves his sigs. On the top levels, what you see in competitors hands is a function of who is giving them money. If you handed them a British Bulldog they would still outshoot most of us. They spend their time working on the shooter, not the gun. The 226 is an awesome weapon, and I'll own another one at some point.

Good point. We seem to forget that if competitors had to purchase their "tools", they may very well be using something different.

I think of bicycle racers who ride $8,000 bikes(provided to them at no cost) and the recreational rider who goes out and buys one to be just like them. The racer is earning a living with it, unlike the recreational rider who rides for fun.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Good point. We seem to forget that if competitors had to purchase their "tools", they may very well be using something different.

I think of bicycle racers who ride $8,000 bikes(provided to them at no cost) and the recreational rider who goes out and buys one to be just like them. The racer is earning a living with it, unlike the recreational rider who rides for fun.

Yep. Put me on Lance Armstrong's Trek, and put Lance on a $150 Walmart bike and he will still destroy me. Equipment is nice, and I've got a $2,300 BH. But at the end of the day, whether it is bikes, pistols, or tiddlywinks, it's more about the Indian than it is the arrow.

MikeHoncho27

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2015
    Carmel
    Sigs are good guns. I am thinking about picking a 226 tacops tonight.

Whatever you have, if you train a lot with it, you can shoot like the guy in the video. He isn't some special snowflake, he is a normal human that has just put in time on the gun.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    How can you not love this face. :)
    My first sig, 226 extreme, night sites, and SRT trigger. Sweet!

E26R-9-XTM-BLKGRY-LARGE.jpg

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    In Lances case, it might be more about the EPO...

Yep. Put me on Lance Armstrong's Trek, and put Lance on a $150 Walmart bike and he will still destroy me. Equipment is nice, and I've got a $2,300 BH. But at the end of the day, whether it is bikes, pistols, or tiddlywinks, it's more about the Indian than it is the arrow.

whiteoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2015
    In The Whiteoaks
    I carried in my LEO career the following handguns. Python, S&W 5906, Beretta 92, Sig P-220, and a Glock 22. All in all the Python was my favorite for its Quality (it was a gun I purchased not issued!) The Glock was the most accurate but somehow the Sig seems to me to be the best Duty Gun. I just think the Sig's are a gun that you grow to appreciate for how well they fit the hand, function without fail, and inspire confidence. I never had a failure to fire in my Sig, and that's with 8 years of duty and training, and lots of informal practice. It's still the handgun that I have in a bedside safe. I love the Glock and have a 17, but still don't see it replacing the Sig for me just yet.

Top Bottom