• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ....Not to rub salt in the wound, but... listen to Norm, WEAR YOUR SAFETY GLASSES!

norm_abram-300x224-1.jpg

Here's my rule of thumb: No matter what he's saying ​ALWAYS LISTEN TO NORM.

Brennend08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2013
    Noblesville
    wow thats unfortunate. It sucks when manufactures get so large that they stop caring about the individual. I met a guy that had a Benelli SBE II blow up in his face and cabbalas gave him two new ones and a 5000 dollar gift card to shut him up.

Bottlefed

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Hamilton county
    I saw a glock 19 with the same issue. After all the manufactures of the ammo and glock it was easy to find out what happened. The glock had a primer sticking out a little to far and went off while moving up the mag when it fired went through the grip and hand. Not saying its the same thing but could be.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    wow thats unfortunate. It sucks when manufactures get so large that they stop caring about the individual. I met a guy that had a Benelli SBE II blow up in his face and cabbalas gave him two new ones and a 5000 dollar gift card to shut him up.

What are you talking about?

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    I wouldn't worry. He was on a classifieds run, got shut down, and had to restart his efforts. Probably just made up some nonsense that would be more than one line.

Anywho, hope the OP comes back with an update soon, and that his eyesight is back to 100%.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I had a 226 blow its grip out. No serious bodily harm but killed the gun. The local gunsmith said it looked like it fired out of battery. I called sig. They said "we aren't that other company. That doesn't happen to our guns. It was the ammo." Well I was screwed cause I did not have the brass nor the ammo package and had no way to argue. In the end paid to have it fixed.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I had a 226 blow its grip out. No serious bodily harm but killed the gun. The local gunsmith said it looked like it fired out of battery. I called sig. They said "we aren't that other company. That doesn't happen to our guns. It was the ammo." Well I was screwed cause I did not have the brass nor the ammo package and had no way to argue. In the end paid to have it fixed.

A round will not touch off by itself. Something has to happen with the gun for it to do this. If ammo were so inclined to act like unstable nitro Glycerin I would have holes in walls and possibly myself from dropped rounds or the ones that cycled through the laundry. Yeah, That happened.

Had to be something with the gun.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    A round will not touch off by itself. Something has to happen with the gun for it to do this. If ammo were so inclined to act like unstable nitro Glycerin I would have holes in walls and possibly myself from dropped rounds or the ones that cycled through the laundry. Yeah, That happened.

Sig said it was a hot round. Literally blew the mag out and destroyed the grips. Messed up some internals. I didn't buy their explanation but there I was with a busted gun and no proof of anything. Grrrr

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

What in the gun would cause it to fire out of battery, though? If a round is still in the magazine and gets touched off, wouldn't that likely be a high primer? (Seriously asking, malfunctions like this aren't something I know much about.)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    What in the gun would cause it to fire out of battery, though? If a round is still in the magazine and gets touched off, wouldn't that likely be a high primer? (Seriously asking, malfunctions like this aren't something I know much about.)

Well, it could have been a hot round as mentioned in post #133. If the firing pin is stuck forward there is a chance for out of battery ignition. A high primer could aid in this.
    I bought an old shotgun from a family member that needed some money. It was a pump gun that had sat for a long time. I took it out without looking it over (much younger and dumber) and when I pumped the slide the shell touched off out of battery. It did some damage and got my buddy who was to my right. Not badly but bad enough. Took it down and the firing pin was frozen forward. Cleaned it up and freed the pin. Vised it in the barn and ran the mechanism with a make shift clamp and a rope. Worked fine.
    Scary things happen.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Well, it could have been a hot round as mentioned in post #133. If the firing pin is stuck forward there is a chance for out of battery ignition.

I understand the issue with free floating firing pins, but is that a plausible scenario with a hammer fired Sig?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I understand the issue with free floating firing pins, but is that a plausible scenario with a hammer fired Sig?

Hammer is still striking a pin. If the pin is stuck from dirt or mechanical issues it is still a separate piece from the hammer. I would think the slide moving forward might carry enough energy to touch of the round out of battery. Memory brings back an issue I heard of with a handgun going full auto from this issue but did not set the round off out of battery.
    Several things may have to happen but It is feasible. I am sure others will chime in on this.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Gumps law, **** happens.

Armchair quarterbacking would make me think its the ammo. Just because its more likely for a reloading company to screw something up, than a legendary producer of fine firearms, even if it is their cheap model. That being said, nothings perfect. (yes I know, not even glock, even though they use it as their slogan, which is stupid)

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany

Cheysdaddy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2015
    Lafayaette
    How many rounds have been through the gun? I have a 2022 also except FDE in .40 cal and so far I havent had a problem but Ive only prolly put maybe 1000 rounds through it?

Top Bottom