• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Well this was due to price and modularity. Bad choice in my opinion but the guys who will actualy use their sidearms in combat are carrying GLOCKS mostly and have been since around 2002
    I didn't know that. I thought most of the troops were carrying M-9'S. Can you elaborate.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Not to answer for Trigger Time but I am sure he would concur.
    You average service personnel are issued an M9 most of which are wore out.
    Elite units/Specialized units are issued a pistol based on mission I have seen G17/19, SIG P226/228.
    This applies to most individual equipment issued for example I was in a Reconnaissance Company in the mid nineties.
    We were issued the M4 that had a fixed carrying handle with open sights that was "high speed" for the time.
    The Rangers already had flattop M4,s with red dot,s.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    There is a lot of institutional inbreeding on thumb safeties. It won't be going away for a long time, and there are some legitimate reasons for it, actually. But mostly that one is stupidity.

Frankly, I couldn't be happier Glock didn't get the contract. Their **** poor triggers and one-of-a-kind grip angle are just bad designs, errr, umm, perfection. They make a cheap product for budget-conscious customers, and they work. Sig makes nicer stuff for people who aren't as tightly constrained. And I say this as someone who prefers other pistols to Sigs.

After the 'Gen 5' debacle they were probably glad they didn't submit anything.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Well this was due to price and modularity. Bad choice in my opinion but the guys who will actualy use their sidearms in combat are carrying GLOCKS mostly and have been since around 2002

Well every once and a while better stuff comes out, look at Colt they got complacent with the military contracts as did Beretta. Glock has done the exact same thing for the most part, the Glock does not really have any major advantages over a PPQ, VP9 or a P320 at the basic infantry unit level. IMHO the P320 is a better choice as most grunts barley get any hand gun training at all so a pistol with a better trigger and a more "natural" point is better anyways. This is for the general Army not Delta or the SEALS they can still pretty much carry whatever they want

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I am a big fan of Sig Sauer, so I guess there is some pride in the fact that "my candidate won the election", but in all honesty, I think the P320 is a great firearm whether or not you are fan of Sig.

About 2 years ago, I was looking at buying a striker-fired pistol, and narrowed it down to the "big 3" (outside of Glock) of Sig P320, Walther PPQ and the H&K VP9. I shot all 3, and worked them pretty hard, and ended up with the VP9, and I love it to death still, even though I prefer hammer-fired.

The P320 was a great gun, and I really wanted it to be the one that won, but I had to be honest and say that I preferred both the Walther and the H&K over the P320.

I also tried to love the Glocks, and before I narrowed it down to the "big 3", I was leaning towards the Glocks (because everyone said they were the striker-fired gun to get) until I realized I could not shoot them well at all, and they felt terrible in my hand. Not a slam on the Glocks, they are fine for others, and they *always* go "BANG", which is a good thing, I just prefer something different.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Not to answer for Trigger Time but I am sure he would concur.
    You average service personnel are issued an M9 most of which are wore out.
    Elite units/Specialized units are issued a pistol based on mission I have seen G17/19, SIG P226/228.
    This applies to most individual equipment issued for example I was in a Reconnaissance Company in the mid nineties.
    We were issued the M4 that had a fixed carrying handle with open sights that was "high speed" for the time.
    The Rangers already had flattop M4,s with red dot,s.
    I don't understand the different mission/ different handgun idea. In my day (ancient history) most handguns issued were pretty worn, but all were serviceable. The handgun has never been a big concern for the armed services, except for maybe the MP's who used them as primary weapons much of the time. As someone who carried a handgun as a primary weapon in combat, I never considered it as much of a factor in defending myself from enemy troops, but it was better than nothing. The two soldiers I knew who actually used a handgun (in the late 60's) in combat, each used an old WWII 1911a1. Although old, the pistols performed as advertised.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I don't understand the different mission/ different handgun idea. In my day (ancient history) most handguns issued were pretty worn, but all were serviceable. The handgun has never been a big concern for the armed services, except for maybe the MP's who used them as primary weapons much of the time. As someone who carried a handgun as a primary weapon in combat, I never considered it as much of a factor in defending myself from enemy troops, but it was better than nothing. The two soldiers I knew who actually used a handgun (in the late 60's) in combat, each used an old WWII 1911a1. Although old, the pistols performed as advertised.
    Thank you for your service and sacrifice.
    the mission and tools needed have changed since then though.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Guess I'm kinda dumbfounded. The Army chooses a pistol that is newer design and probably more expensive than the Glock 17. No dig on Sig and I'm not a glock fanboy. I have several of each manufacturer in the safe. But if we know that troops hardly rely on pistols in combat AND they'll be placed in a drop leg holsters, why in the heck not purchase the least expensive proven handgun like the G17? Why modular? So a soldier is gonna have a full load out and cc his P320 in the subcompact configuration in the small of his back? Who the hell is gonna carry anything but a full size service pistol in a drop leg holster? The fall and rise of Ron Cohen

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Guess I'm kinda dumbfounded. The Army chooses a pistol that is newer design and probably more expensive than the Glock 17. No dig on Sig and I'm not a glock fanboy. I have several of each manufacturer in the safe. But if we know that troops hardly rely on pistols in combat AND they'll be placed in a drop leg holsters, why in the heck not purchase the least expensive proven handgun like the G17? Why modular? So a soldier is gonna have a full load out and cc his P320 in the subcompact configuration in the small of his back? Who the hell is gonna carry anything but a full size service pistol in a drop leg holster? The fall and rise of Ron Cohen

I can see a use for a modular design. There are a number of different units within the Army that might need to conceal a handgun. They could use it as a compact, but if they were going to be doing overt combat, would prefer a larger pistol. Also, if you disbanded a unit that hand compacts, you could inexpensively convert them to full size. And it just provides more options in general.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I can see a use for a modular design. There are a number of different units within the Army that might need to conceal a handgun. They could use it as a compact, but if they were going to be doing overt combat, would prefer a larger pistol. Also, if you disbanded a unit that hand compacts, you could inexpensively convert them to full size. And it just provides more options in general.

Is there really enough of these "other units in the Army" to justify the logistics of the pistol in several configurations when probably the supermajority of them will stay in the full size configuration in the hands of the common soldier in a drop leg holster. Maybe I'm missing something

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Actually, there are a decent number of them. Not only do you have various SF organizations that sometimes need to conceal, you also have, well, others.

And outside of MP units and those listed above, they really aren't issued to entire units. Key leadership will have them, as well as machine gunners and a few others. Most of the noncombatant types are assigned rifles that sit in racks.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    How much will they actually use the modularity?

P320-sigevolution-3guns.jpg

Top Bottom