• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mjelder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    West lafayette/Columbus
    Hey guys, I'm hoping you all have some input that could help me out. I recently bought and had a shop install some Trijicon night sights on my glock 26. I took it to the range to test fire it and at 10-15 yards it seemed to be shooting to the right anywhere from 2-4 inches.

Now I don't have any experience installing sights, which is why I had a shop do it, but I watched the guy work on it and he lined up the rear sight with a hammer and a punch and did it by eye (which i suppose was just his best estimation of center).

Should I take it back in and have it relined? is there a specific way they should really be installing them? should I take it to a glock armorer instead?

What do you all think?

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    At first my thought was "hells yeah, you ought to take it back!", but then I thought a little bit about it and if the gunsmith lined the sights up by eye, and left it at that without doing a test fire, or at least using a laser bore sighter, I'm not so sure I would take it back to them. Now that the sights are in the dovetails, you may want to just adjust them yourself.

Toolepqk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.3%
    52   2   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Elmore's did my night sights using correct tools. It cost next to nothing and my sights are exactly where they should be.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Hey guys, I'm hoping you all have some input that could help me out. I recently bought and had a shop install some Trijicon night sights on my glock 26. I took it to the range to test fire it and at 10-15 yards it seemed to be shooting to the right anywhere from 2-4 inches.

Now I don't have any experience installing sights, which is why I had a shop do it, but I watched the guy work on it and he lined up the rear sight with a hammer and a punch and did it by eye (which i suppose was just his best estimation of center).

Should I take it back in and have it relined? is there a specific way they should really be installing them? should I take it to a glock armorer instead?

What do you all think?

I think I would not take it to Midwest Gun Exchange in Mishawaka. I bought my G26 there and had them install the Trijicon night sights. I was never satisfied with it. I had guys at H & H (now Freedom Firearms, Fort Wayne) test it on their range. They always said, " Not bad." They always were unenthusiastic about the sights. They knew there was a problem, but did not think it was off enough to go back to the work bench with it. I came to the conclusion my poor shooting was just my lack of skill or my poor eyesight.

Then I fired my Taurus 24/7 Pro. An INGOer had it for sale and allowed me to test fire it on his own firing range. I hit the steel targets first time, every time. I loaded up my own ammo (did not want to be indebted to the guy and feel obligated to buy because I used his ammo), same as I used in the G26. My shooting dramatically improved. I came to the conclusion that Midwest just did a poor job of installing the sights.

Midwest is a good shop, and I have had good service from them. But I will not ask them to install night sights again.

kyotekilr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    down wind
    I have moved trijicons on a glock before by using a punch while at the range. No big deal just use a small piece of leather so you don't scratch them. I would not use a large hammer obviously. I used a set of folding allen wrenches and progressively harder taps until it moved.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    can be done with a hammer...but a real gunsmith will never recommend it for a few different reasons for which, you should not let anyone touch them with a hammer if even a professional gunsmith won't use it....why would you trust an average joe to do it with one?!

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Took it to diamondback outdoors in lafayette and they took care of it for me no problem and pretty cheap as well. +1 to them
    Does it shoot better? Or was it just a new gun to you and possibly user error? (No offense meant). I had mine done and the correct tool was used, eyeballed it, then measured and readjusted until centered.

Let us know what you found out.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    What I have experienced on the pistols I've done is that if the rear is centered in the dovetail 99% of the time a Glock will shoot to the sights. I have seen 1 Glock that needed the rear sight moved to the far side of the dovetail to get the windage right.

mjelder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    West lafayette/Columbus
    It wasn't user error, no offense taken. I'm a pretty seasoned shooter and put a lot of rounds down range before changing the sites and I know when something is amiss with my weapons. I got it readjusted took it to the range yesterday and it was spot on. No problems at all.

Top Bottom