• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Either of those guns are fine if you arent a "shooter".

If you are a "Gun carrier" they are fine guns.

After all, 99 percent of "Gun Carriers" will never fire their guns. 90% of them wont even carry them, and they will sit in the car, safe, desk etc.

So who cares if they are crap?

Go forth, spend money on junk, stick it down your pants and enjoy for a lifetime.

Umm... Not this! If you are a gun carrier, you should want the best. If you're counting on a gun to work when needed to save your life, why would you trust "junk"? Also, I believe those statistics are completely made up and not even close to accurate. I carry, I shoot, I keep a gun in my car and by my bedside. What kind of gunshop employee or owner would EVER give this advice?! I am really hoping this was supposed to be purple.

1911 mike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    3rd rock from the sun
    I've owned the P11 for 2 years now and I've fired almost 2000 rounds with mine with-out any problems. I paid $246 for mine and I did some up grades. The wider trigger shoe. The steel guide rod, and the belt clip. It fits my ankle rig very well and I can carry it all day and I forget that it's there. "Very, very" accurate at 20 yards, so lets say the "KELTEC P11." Said to be one of the smallest 9's out there. 11 shots. Can't ask for more.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Umm... Not this! If you are a gun carrier, you should want the best. If you're counting on a gun to work when needed to save your life, why would you trust "junk"? Also, I believe those statistics are completely made up and not even close to accurate. I carry, I shoot, I keep a gun in my car and by my bedside. What kind of gunshop employee or owner would EVER give this advice?! I am really hoping this was supposed to be purple.

After all that, I forgot to post my original response. Kel-tecs have been highly reliable for me. I have only owned the pocket pistols they make, though. Saving for the Glock would be adviseable, but if it is just not doable the KT won't hurt ya.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010

Let me explain something I have learned.

I have watched THOUSANDS of people buy guns for "personal protection".

Do you know how many of them actually carry those guns? I mean, carry them daily, not only when its cool at gun events etc.

Apparently personal protection is somewhat of a lower priority than "spending more than 20 bucks on a holster" or "it makes my feel uncomfy".

Why is that?

Because most of us live pretty safe lives. If we didnt, we would put carrying a firearm at a higher priority.

So.

If you are going to buy a gun to make yourself feel good about owning a gun that you could someday carry, fine. Buy whatever. They all work the same in a drawer.

If you are a shooter, and actually shoot your guns, you KNOW what works for you and you would pay any amount of money to get what works. Especially the $50 - $200 more it costs to get a reliable pistol.

If you are a shooter and a carrier, you are the RAREST of breeds, and you know the lifestyle commitment it takes to do what you do.

And you also know, that the cost of the ammo to stay proficient with your weapon is 100 - 1000x the cost of the gun to shoot it.

The cost of the training it takes is also more than the cost of the gun.

So the people that worry about saving 100 bucks on the cost of a gun, and buying something "Just as good as" are usually neither.

My advice is, buy a quality gun.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin

Do you know how many of them actually carry those guns? I mean, carry them daily, not only when its cool at gun events etc.

Apparently personal protection is somewhat of a lower priority than "spending more than 20 bucks on a holster" or "it makes my feel uncomfy".

Why is that?

Because most of us live pretty safe lives. If we didnt, we would put carrying a firearm at a higher priority.

So.

If you are going to buy a gun to make yourself feel good about owning a gun that you could someday carry, fine. Buy whatever. They all work the same in a drawer.

If you are a shooter, and actually shoot your guns, you KNOW what works for you and you would pay any amount of money to get what works. Especially the $50 - $200 more it costs to get a reliable pistol.

If you are a shooter and a carrier, you are the RAREST of breeds, and you know the lifestyle commitment it takes to do what you do.

And you also know, that the cost of the ammo to stay proficient with your weapon is 100 - 1000x the cost of the gun to shoot it.

So the people that worry about saving 100 bucks on the cost of a gun, and buying something "Just as good as" are usually neither.

Thank you for the clarification. In your first post you came off as arrogant and one of the worst "gun guys" ever. lol. As I said, I thought surely you weren't actually telling someone to buy a piece of crap gun to protect their lives with.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Thank you for the clarification. In your first post you came off as arrogant and one of the worst "gun guys" ever. lol. As I said, I thought surely you weren't actually telling someone to buy a piece of crap gun to protect their lives with.

Sorry, been a hard day and I feel cranky.

Had to deal with a guy who wanted to return a scope and was all mad because it was "fuzzy".

I looked thru it, clear.
    Three other guys, clear.

Turns out, its only fuzzy when he doesnt have his glasses on.

:n00b::n00b::n00b::n00b::n00b::n00b::n00b::n00b:

Took the scope back anyhow.

climber409

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Franklin
    Three of us have 11 kel tecs and only had issues with one that kel tec fixed in fast turn around time.I have 500+ rounds through my pf9 with no ftf or fte.Pf9 is easy to conceal.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

Why is that?

So.

I want to buy a quality gun, that's why I asked if Sigmas and Kel Tecs were quality guns.
    It's not so much about saving $100 on a gun and the price doesn't always tell you about the quality of the gun.
    I want a quality carry piece but I dont think the gun will be better because I pay more for it.
    You can spend $2000 on a 1911, $500 on a Glock, $300 on a Kel Tec.
    Will the 1911 be 4 times more reliable than a Glock because I spent 4 times the price? :dunno:
    I can buy a $800 Kel Tec at Don's Guns and think that I got a better quality gun than a Glock I saw somewhere else for $500. :):

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I had a Sigma once, trigger was horrible. They may not be bad if you could get a good trigger job done for a good price but if you figure $300 (avg. price) for gun maybe another $75 - $100 gunsmith job for another $100 you can get a Glock. If you are looking at only a KelTec or the Sigma I would have to say get the PF9...Just my opinion....

Jolfe

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Muncie
    I want to buy a quality gun, that's why I asked if Sigmas and Kel Tecs were quality guns.

I own a Kel Tec and never had any problems with it. I's been very reliable. Don't know much about the Sigma, except for its probably undeserved bad reputation. Both the Kel Tec and the Sigma will probably be reliable enough for you to carry. You could save $100 and be effectively protected, no doubt.
    Now, if what you want to buy a "quality gun" stay away from both. Get yourself a Glock and you won't regret it in the future. ;)

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Sorry, but I think my P-11 is a "quality" gun. Is it a Kimber?..... no, but I carry it every day, I shoot it every chance I get, I know I can hit what I aim at, and I am happy with the gun, to me THAT is quality. I've never shot a sigma but I like the looks. I, too, have heard horror stories about the trigger, I heard the same about P-11's...mine is great. If I do ever buy a more expensive pistol, it would be another XD, or an M&P.

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    $hitty Imitation Glock Made in America.

There you have your sigma, I own both glocks and the aforementioned sigma. The sigma stays locked up never to see the light of day.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    $hitty Imitation Glock Made in America.

There you have your sigma, I own both glocks and the aforementioned sigma. The sigma stays locked up never to see the light of day.

You can give it to me, I will CC that way the gun will never see the light of the day just like you want. :):

watkins1988

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Indy
    on my sigma i took a spring out of the trigger mechanism. theres a double spring or 2 springs inside of each other. i took the inside one out. its the smaller one. it made the trigger a ton smoother. and you can also polish the sear and what it "rides" on. i think the two springs bind on each other and makes the trigger creep.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    on my sigma i took a spring out of the trigger mechanism. theres a double spring or 2 springs inside of each other. i took the inside one out. its the smaller one. it made the trigger a ton smoother. and you can also polish the sear and what it "rides" on. i think the two springs bind on each other and makes the trigger creep.

Is it smoother or lighter?
    I heard you can fix the trigger to have it down to 5 pounds or so.

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    I have owned both, i sold the Sigma, and carry the KelTec whenever i leave the house. I have owned a few Kel Tec's and have never had a problem with any of them, my father like my P3AT enough, that's what he carries now.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    I have owned both and the Sigma was a pleasure to shoot compared to the Kel Tec. The Sigma is larger, ate everything I fed it and the trigger was bad. The KT did not like HP bullets, was easy to carry all day, but the trigger pinched my finger and was a pain to shoot. I sold both and now carry a Kahr CW9.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Back away from the kool aid. You can buy a quality firearm for less than $400. I have done it myself on a few occasions. Personally, I wouldn't limit my search to two. There are plenty of really good options out there. Take your time and enjoy the search. I am currently looking for a 9mm myself. I am in no rush. I am having a great time doing the research and taking advantage of the wealth of knowledge and opinions here on INGO. I know that in the end it will be my decision based upon my own criteria and I am the one who will have to live with the decision I make.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    What bothers me is the stories I hear about the Sigma's trigger.
    I hear it's bad and really heavy and that you cant hit anything, and from some other people I hear it's a good trigger, that it's heavy for safety reasons and that you can be very accurate with the gun.
    Maybe many people talk badly about the trigger because they are first time shooters, they never fired another gun and cannot hit anything because they dont know how to control the trigger.
    And I guess their shots would be all over the place even with a lighter trigger too anyway .
    I shot a bunch of different guns with different triggers, very light trigger on air guns (like the ones used in the olympics), double action revolvers, single action revolvers, DAO pistols, Glocks etc ...
    The weight of the trigger doesnt change the accuracy from my experience, it's all about training.
    So I would like to hear from experienced shooters what they think about the trigger.
    Is it just a fine trigger, is it heavy, too heavy, long, too long?
    Is it bad behind the weight?

Top Bottom