• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sureshot129

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    NW Indiana
    A PF9 and a Sigma aren't really even comparable. They may be similar in price (the PF9 is actually quite a bit less normally) but they are not designed for the same use.

You need to figure out what you want to do with the gun before you narrow it down.

1000% this, if your going to seek training and have to shoot hundreds of rounds in a class the Kel tec will kick the crap out of you a single stack 7 round mag really isn't practical. I'm in the save a little longer and get a better quality firearm group.(Glock,M&P, or ETC) If your dead set on one of these two then the sigma is the better of the two but there are a lot better choices to be had if you save just a little bit more $$. :twocents:

LuckyGunner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I wouldn't compare those to firearms. They are each meant for a different role. If you want a range/home defense pistol. The Sigma will work...with that being said I would advise you save a bit longer and get a pistol that you can't out grow.

The Kel Tec PF9 & 11 are good pistols for what they are meant to be used for.

If you want to get something that can fit both roles. I would look at a Glock, M&P, XD, or CZ. You should be able to find a used pistol for a little more than the Sigma.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I wouldn't compare those to firearms. They are each meant for a different role. If you want a range/home defense pistol. The Sigma will work...with that being said I would advise you save a bit longer and get a pistol that you can't out grow.

The Kel Tec PF9 & 11 are good pistols for what they are meant to be used for.

If you want to get something that can fit both roles. I would look at a Glock, M&P, XD, or CZ. You should be able to find a used pistol for a little more than the Sigma.

I thought about a used gun.
    You are just never sure what you get in a used gun but I guess even a used Glock 19 would be better than a new Sigma and could serve well for range gun and carry gun.:dunno:

Sureshot129

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I thought about a used gun.
    You are just never sure what you get in a used gun but I guess even a used Glock 19 would be better than a new Sigma and could serve well for range gun and carry gun.:dunno:

The upside to the Glock platform is end user serviceability most any thing can be corrected with a couple of parts ordered from a catalog. Have you shot a Glock 19? How does it fit your hand?

Last edited:

alluwant

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    I have a sigma and yes the trigger pull is bad but I will say I have the 40 and I've put over 3k bullets down range and not 1 hiccup at all so it is still atleast a reliable gun

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    The upside to the Glock platform is end user serviceability most any thing can be corrected with a couple of parts ordered from a catalog. Have you shot a Glock 19? How does it fit your hand?

I did not shoot the 19 yet.I shot the model 17 a few times and I liked it.I would imagine the 19 would fit my hand just great since I have medium size hands.

There is not much I would change on a factory stocked Glock, nothing I guess since I like the sights and the 5.5 pounds trigger.

ludlow

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    I've owned both. My Sigma trigger was heavy but a few hours polishing thing up really lightened up the trigger. It still had a long take though. Iwas able to get proficient enough with it by learning how much take up it had and when it broke. I lied the size of the pf9, but neve really got comfortable with the long trigger pull, but it thought it was a decent piece. You might consider a used Ruger sr9, you can get pretty close to the price point of the other two.

donnie1581

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Elwood, IN
    I have a Sigma 40 as my EDC until I can afford a better carry piece. I haven't had any problems out of it. The trigger is long but after shooting enough with it, It doesn't bother me. If you were to make it up to my nick of the woods I'd let you shoot it so you could get a feel of the trigger.

watkins1988

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Indy
    Is it smoother or lighter?
    I heard you can fix the trigger to have it down to 5 pounds or so.

it smoothed it out a little and made it lighter. as others have said it can be made very smooth by polishing. and since the last time i posted i wanted to make sure i remembered right so i looked it up and you can take 2 springs out. one is a coil spring and one is like a spring on a clothes pin. you can also change out the firing pin spring to a lighter one from wolff springs. but ive heard that it can not hit the primer hard enough and be unreliable. but the gun in factory condition is 100% reliable. i know the .40 is but ive heard problems with the 9mm's.

also to your other question even without anything done to the trigger it can be very accurate. i have proven this to friends lol. its like a looong double action revolver. i could find the point right before the trigger broke and "set" it there before my shot, line up and sqeeze the trigger so it wasnt as long.

and it is a safety measure. i love my glock but im uneasy about carrying it +1. cause a glock is always kinda half cocked. when the slide is forward the firing pin is halfway back or more. on the sigma the firing pin is always in the forward most position againt the firing pin lock. until the trigger is pulled.

patandhisruger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    if you want a pistol close to 3 bones that is reliable and accurate get a ruger p95...yea you wont be able to slip it into your pocket and impress your friends but if you can shoot it will perform...youre right a cheap gun doesnt have to be a crap gun but most cheap guns are cheap because they are lacking features and durability over the more expensive..for example the p95 vs the sr9....p95 hammer opt, 15+1, heavy as a brick and pretty chunky..an old design but flawless none the less...sr9 on average about 100-150$ more than the former...are you getting a better handgun for that price tho?...no (imo), you are paying for technology and conceal-ability...so when you look at the sigma and pf9 what are you paying for exactly? the sigma is roughly 100-200 less than a glock but they are made roughly the same (both striker fire and some of the same mechanics) but as you know the glock is miles ahead of the sigma in quality...so in this case the 150$ that you saved with with the sigma is not just a cheap handgun but more often than not a inferior piece...there's a reason why a Glock17 costs around 500 and a sigma about 280$...so same advice i give everyone with this inquiry...if you like the mechanics or style of firearm you get with the sigma, save your money and step up to a glock or SR pistol...if you want to actually shoot the gun and trust it for defense go to a older design sig, ruger, or glock that is within your price range...

btw, with any of the manufactures listed, a used one of those would do you much better than a new sigma...

also note, i had nothing negative to say about the pf9...it feels cheap but its a performer...they have perfected that design with the p3at over many years...kel tec is just one of those rare companies that can produce a decent quality product for a good price..

Last edited:
    Top Bottom