• OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Tons of options. SilencerCo, Rugged, DeadAir, etc etc

You can definitely have one that does both. What kind of rifles are you looking to put it on?

574mag

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Osceola IN
    I could do on ar platforms. But I’d like to put it on a bolt gun. The 308 I have , weatherby vanguard, the 223 I have not. Still trying to decide on which one to get. But a threaded barrel is a must.

574mag

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Osceola IN
    I have read a bunch online. I understand that there are a million options. Since I don’t actually know anyone that owns one, I was asking if anyone loves there’s or conversely had a “stay away from”

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I have nothing all that constructive to add. I like Silencerco stuff, but there are many other options.

I would just encourage you that supressors are 10x more fun than you think they will be.

I've found also that using a vendor like silencershop is really easy.

574mag

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Osceola IN
    I have been on the silencer shop site. Is it better to do the atf paperwork online? Or in person at a shop with or without a kiosk?

574mag

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Osceola IN
    I have read that if you get a larger one, it will also do smaller calibers. Originally, I just wanted one for the 223, but then I thought might as well get one for a 30 and make it more usable.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I have a 223 and a 308 suppressor. If I could do it over again, I would just have two 308 suppressors.

They do almost just as well as a smaller one, especially since the new ones allow you to change end caps.

I would get one that has a way to attach to a flash hider and put one of those devices on your bolt guns.

Otherwise you’ll have to get a big enough 223 barrel to fit a direct thread 308 suppressor

But yes, definitely pick @Aszerigan’s brain a bit. He’ll know a lot more of the options and pros/cons

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    If you're going to get one suppressor, get a 30cal can that has replaceable front caps. This allows you to close the aperture of the front hole to reduce the gas load exiting the can. Usable on multiple hosts.

Options:

Q Suppressors - come with multiple muzzle brakes per box, so you're not adding cost to multiple hosts.
    Rugged: Has a universal RUM mount that pairs with most any adapter / brake you might have.
    SilencerCo: Puts out quality stuff. Great options from $500 to $1300, all good.
    Dead Air: Hard to get but very, very quiet.
    Surefire: The most expensive but certainly the best.

Then you've got Gemtech, AB, OSS, Huxwrx (one of my favorites), Griffin and Liberty. All good companies.

Start with a price point, then look around from there. There are so many options on the market, it's overwhelming.

Holler if you need help.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I have Gemtech, AAC, Silencerco, & Surefire cans, prob 1 or 2 other brands. You can get really into the weeds, but my main takeaway is that the customer service and support from any of the major suppressor brands is top notch. A suppressor company can’t afford poor service, or they’d go out of business quick, with the time investment people have in. Right now is an excellent time to buy concerning the wait. As others have said, 30 cal and be done in your situation. Dedicated if you want to buy more.

My number one personal recommendation would be the 7.62 Surefire RC2 (SOCOM 7.62). It’s 30 cal, and will mount on Sure 7.62 or 5.56 muzzle devices, with a 30 cal end cap. If you are carbon locked in the field, you loosen the QD lock and shoot the can off (without damage) I have noted very minimal difference in perceived volume with a .223 bullet leaving a can with a 30 cal end cap personally. If you go this route, get the SOCOM muzzle devices, NOT the warcomp, it leaks.

If you like your research, lookup Pew Science, and you’ll be blown away.

Lastly, I don’t mind Hybrid type cans, but by the time you get all the adapters and end caps to outfit pistols, rifles, etc, you could have had multiple cans for cheaper.

“But Goodcat, do I do QD or direct thread?” Oh, glad you asked. With a quality QD setup, (socom, asr, deadair, etc), there is little to no difference with a properly mounted can on a good QD setup and a direct thread. I’ve tested this theory on multiple calibers out to 1-mile.

I do direct thread for most precision guns, because, well, it’s easier.

574mag

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Osceola IN
    Wow, thank you all very much. Here I thought I could do a little reading, fill out a form and throw down some cash and poof, I’m silent! I’m quickly learning that there is a whole lot more to this than that.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Silencerco Hybrid .46 will do both, you will want to get the correct endcaps for the best performance, you can even get endcaps that are brakes. A multi caliber one will save you $ in the end because you don't have to get multiple stamps..

Purdue1991

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 19, 2022
    I'm considering a suppressor as well. I have a couple of dumb questions.

1). I'm wanting to use the suppressor on two rifles (6.5 Grendel and .308). Both have 5/8-24 threaded barrels. I'm assuming I could buy one threaded suppressor and move it between the two rifles? Is that the best approach?

2). I know an NFA tax stamp is required for the suppressor itself. Is there any other permitting required to use it on multiple rifles?

3). How many of you use a suppressor during deer hunting? Is it worth it?

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I'm considering a suppressor as well. I have a couple of dumb questions.

1). I'm wanting to use the suppressor on two rifles (6.5 Grendel and .308). Both have 5/8-24 threaded barrels. I'm assuming I could buy one threaded suppressor and move it between the two rifles? Is that the best approach?

2). I know an NFA tax stamp is required for the suppressor itself. Is there any other permitting required to use it on multiple rifles?

3). How many of you use a suppressor during deer hunting? Is it worth it?
    1. It's really just preference. I like having muzzle devices that allow me to attach quickly. But my .22lr hosts are just threaded barrels with thread protectors. Either way works really well. Having the same threads gives you more options.

2. Nope. Just the NFA Tax Stamp itself for the suppressor.

3. I have friends that do, and they love it. I can't speak to it personally though

Purdue1991

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 19, 2022
    1. It's really just preference. I like having muzzle devices that allow me to attach quickly. But my .22lr hosts are just threaded barrels with thread protectors. Either way works really well. Having the same threads gives you more options.

2. Nope. Just the NFA Tax Stamp itself for the suppressor.

3. I have friends that do, and they love it. I can't speak to it personally though

Perfect. Thanks for the info!

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I have Gemtech, AAC, Silencerco, & Surefire cans, prob 1 or 2 other brands. You can get really into the weeds, but my main takeaway is that the customer service and support from any of the major suppressor brands is top notch. A suppressor company can’t afford poor service, or they’d go out of business quick, with the time investment people have in. Right now is an excellent time to buy concerning the wait. As others have said, 30 cal and be done in your situation. Dedicated if you want to buy more.

My number one personal recommendation would be the 7.62 Surefire RC2 (SOCOM 7.62). It’s 30 cal, and will mount on Sure 7.62 or 5.56 muzzle devices, with a 30 cal end cap. If you are carbon locked in the field, you loosen the QD lock and shoot the can off (without damage) I have noted very minimal difference in perceived volume with a .223 bullet leaving a can with a 30 cal end cap personally. If you go this route, get the SOCOM muzzle devices, NOT the warcomp, it leaks.

If you like your research, lookup Pew Science, and you’ll be blown away.

Lastly, I don’t mind Hybrid type cans, but by the time you get all the adapters and end caps to outfit pistols, rifles, etc, you could have had multiple cans for cheaper.

“But Goodcat, do I do QD or direct thread?” Oh, glad you asked. With a quality QD setup, (socom, asr, deadair, etc), there is little to no difference with a properly mounted can on a good QD setup and a direct thread. I’ve tested this theory on multiple calibers out to 1-mile.

I do direct thread for most precision guns, because, well, it’s easier.
    We run three open tine warcomps, haven't noticed this leakage you speak of?

Top Bottom