• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BackFromDC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 19, 2023
    Jeffersonville
    I'm considering a suppressor as well. I have a couple of dumb questions.

1). I'm wanting to use the suppressor on two rifles (6.5 Grendel and .308). Both have 5/8-24 threaded barrels. I'm assuming I could buy one threaded suppressor and move it between the two rifles? Is that the best approach?

2). I know an NFA tax stamp is required for the suppressor itself. Is there any other permitting required to use it on multiple rifles?

3). How many of you use a suppressor during deer hunting? Is it worth it?
    (1) I would not drop and swap muzzle devices/flash hiders since you usually need to make sure their mounted good, otherwise risk concentricity errors and get a baffle strike. A few companies **** their muzzle devices with some pretty crummy shims and don't smush evenly.

(2) Someone answered this, but yeah you can drop and swap between firearms. That's why Rugged RUM and Dead Air Keymo adapters are really popular.

(3) I bought my suppressors specifically because sometimes I'm an idiot during hunting season and forget to bring earpro

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana

1). I'm wanting to use the suppressor on two rifles (6.5 Grendel and .308). Both have 5/8-24 threaded barrels. I'm assuming I could buy one threaded suppressor and move it between the two rifles? Is that the best approach?

2). I know an NFA tax stamp is required for the suppressor itself. Is there any other permitting required to use it on multiple rifles?

they are very much worth it for hunting. Remember it is a suppressor, not a silencer - there will still be quite a bang.. esp if you are not using subsonic ammo.. It helps your ears, it makes very little difference with the game. I have shot deer without a suppressor and had others nearby not move after the shot..
    For you Q about 6.5 & .308 , if you do not change the end cap the 6.5 will not get the full benefit , you can shoot 6.5 thru a .308 cap it just does not get the same reduction..
    currently 6.5 endcaps are hard to find...

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand

I use my 30 cal suppressor on my 6.5 Grendel AR and soon my 6.5 Creedmoor Bergara B14 HMR. I just use my 30 cal end cap. From what I have read, the 6.5 end cap makes such little difference that you can't tell without sound measuring equipment.

1 tax stamp per suppressor no matter how it is used.

I use my 6.5 Grendel suppressed for deer hunting, just to protect my ears really. There is still a crack from the bullet breaking the sound barrier, but it is not near as bad as the gun unsuppressed. What is really fun is squirrel hunting with a suppressed .22 rifle.

574mag

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Osceola IN
    Do most of them bring the bang down to a level you don’t need ear protection? Or is that a model or type kind of thing? And for a quick detach, the need a certain type of flash device to hook to?

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    We run three open tine warcomps, haven't noticed this leakage you speak of?
    Here was the test pew science did on the Socom FH style vs the Warcomp style using the Surefire RC2. I am told the dB rating difference measured at 4 points is due to pressure leakage from the war comp muzzle design, whereas the Socom designs work much better.

The same RC2 was 5-10db louder (depending where perceived) with the Warcomp than it was with the Socom series QD, all else the same except the muzzle device.

Oh and @Creedmoor this was the 5.56, I haven’t seen any testing on, or used the 7.62 myself.

Attachments

• IMG_1009.png
      IMG_1009.png
      46.4 KB · Views: 6
    Last edited:

miketx

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2023
    Texas
    I knew a guy that made one once. He took a 22 semi auto rifle and drilled holes all the way through the barrel about an inch down from the muzzle for about 6 inches. Then he wrapped fiberglass insulation around the holes and wrapped it in duct tape. It worked. Later I asked him about the rifle and he said he got real paranoid and dumped it in a lake. He ruined a perfectly good rifle.

Last edited:

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    You need to sit down and prioritize what's important to you for a suppressor with applications you plan to use them. I personally don't care for changing out end caps. The 1-2db difference isn't even discernable to the ear. Your ear can't tell the difference between 143 and 141. It's an added cost and another piece to keep track of. If you're shooting 5.56 with your 30cal can and .224 end cap and decide to change over to the 308 and forget to change end caps then bye bye end cap. So here's what you should prioritize with most important to least important for you
    Price
    Weight/length
    Sound suppression
    Mounting system
    Company reputation/CS
    There will be compromises somewhere. A lot of folks bought the Sandman K when it was introduced for like $500. It was great for SBR HD rifles. Inexpensive and shorter but sacrificed suppression. But it took the bite out of those short barreled guns.

Likewise for a hunter. He may not care about the price or the mounting system but values weight and suppression

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Here was the test pew science did on the Socom FH style vs the Warcomp style using the Surefire RC2. I am told the dB rating difference measured at 4 points is due to pressure leakage from the war comp muzzle design, whereas the Socom designs work much better.

The same RC2 was 5-10db louder (depending where perceived) with the Warcomp than it was with the Socom series QD, all else the same except the muzzle device.

Oh and @Creedmoor this was the 5.56, I haven’t seen any testing on, or used the 7.62 myself.
    Thank you.

574mag

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Osceola IN
    I think my list would be,
    Price
    Suppression
    Length/weight
    Company rep
    Mounting system

I was originally thinking screw on, but it’s not a deal breaker. I want to get the quietest one I can afford. But it has to be a good one. I hate wasting dollars to save cents! lol

574mag

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Osceola IN
    My original goal hear was just to have one. Then I started thinking it would be cool for varmit hunting, then I started thinking about deer hunting. Ahh, the possibilities keep expanding!

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I think my list would be,
    Price
    Suppression
    Length/weight
    Company rep
    Mounting system

I was originally thinking screw on, but it’s not a deal breaker. I want to get the quietest one I can afford. But it has to be a good one. I hate wasting dollars to save cents! lol
    What's your price ceiling including the $200 stamp?

574mag

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Osceola IN
    A grand, 15 hundred. From what I’ve seen, that should get me there. But, I’m still looking at options. If I can get it done for less, I certainly will! If it’s a couple hundred more, it won’t kill me.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    A grand, 15 hundred. From what I’ve seen, that should get me there. But, I’m still looking at options. If I can get it done for less, I certainly will! If it’s a couple hundred more, it won’t kill me.
    At that price you're open to almost everything. Almost.....
    If you play the game long enough you'll find that your priorities change around. I too had sound suppression at the top of my list. After 8 years and 9 or so cans later, suppression has dropped down to 3rd or 4th on the priority list

Top Bottom