• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Snow begins Wednesday night and will continue through Saturday for Buffalo and Watertown. These areas could see between 1 and 3 feet of snow. Here's more on possible snow totals via FOX Forecast Center:

The highest totals will likely be centered directly over the Buffalo and Watertown metro areas because of the nearly stationary bands of snow from Thursday night through Friday night. Between 1 and 3 feet of snow is expected to pile up by Sunday afternoon, with localized amounts of up to 4 feet not ruled out.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    The cold wind will be blowing the appropriate direction across the lake. That part of NY has this kind of snowfall every year.
    It is unusual to have it be the first measurable snowfall of the season, but not a record breaking sort of thing.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    They get hammered up that way every year. I could'nt take it. Not a big fan of snow.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I don’t mind snow, and kind of like it if I’m out hunting or can sit at home and enjoy it. I can’t imagine feet at a time thought!

I had a buddy out in North Dakota and they talked about having several feet of snow each year. They were prepared for it, so it was old hat to them, but it was still amazing to read about and see pictures of. And, it stayed cold enough up there it didn’t go away until late spring!

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Uh no. I like it when it snows or we have some deep snow and it’s a “stay home and relax” kind of day but 4’ would be a stay home for a month!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    A few years ago I thought about taking a job up there. I asked around about the snow because it's no secret Buffalo gets a lot of snow. The locals told me there's a "snow belt" just east of the lake and that's where the vast majority of it winds up. I wound up not taking the job and for the winter afterwards, I kind of kept an eye on the radar up there. And sure enough, you could almost draw a line south of which would constantly get socked be tons of snow. Location, location, location.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    First drive of the season this morning with measurable snow.

Probably 3-5" through the Elkhart area. Just cold enough overnight to freeze some the previously slushy stuff. Not a city snow plow in sight at 4:30AM.

Got stuck behind two nervous Nellys driving side by side up Cassopolis street at 19MPH.

In the Audi, on Blizzaks, it was hard not to pass them in the left turn lane.:facepalm:

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    I grew up in Jamestown, NY. Very Southwestern part of the state, near Erie , PA. It was the Snow Belt. If we didn't get 4' - 8' of snow we felt cheated. Never really minded it to tell the truth.

It gets cold and stays cold there. The snow gets cleaned up best as it can and we learned to drive in it. We went to big empty parking lots in the snow and learned to control slides/spins. Some times it was bad enough you stayed home. No big deal.

Living here for 20+ years we get ice more often than there. It gets warm then cold and the water refreezes. Ice is very different to drive on so I see the issue with it here.
    Believe me, it is far better here than that sh++hole NY.

Don

Last edited:

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    I grew up in Jamestown, NY. Very Southwestern part of the state, near Erie , PA. It was the Snow Belt. If we didn't get 4' - 8' of snow we felt cheated. Never really minded it to tell the truth.

It gets cold and stays cold there. The snow gets cleaned up best as it can and we learned to drive in it. We went to big empty parking lots in the snow and learned to control slides/spins. Some times it was bad enough you stayed home. No big deal.

Living here for 20+ years we get ice more often than there. It gets warm then cold and the water refreezes. Ice is very different to drive on so I see the issue with it here.
    Believe me, it is far better here than that sh++hole NY.

Don
    Several years ago, I was lead engineer for a wireless trial in Erie (Edinboro to be more precise) that lasted from January through April. We hired a team of 5 engineers from a contract house: all from Portugal!

These kids had never even seen a flake of snow, let alone 10' drifts. I picked them up from the airport, and watching this group of 20-something year-olds absolutely lose it in the parking lot was something I'll never forget. Diving headfirst into drifts, making snow angels, snowball fights.:) :)

The reindeer games ended the next day when I began to try to teach them how to drive in it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom