• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Butternut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    SouthWestern Louisiana
    Big bore snubbies have their own following. 44 spl and 45 colt standard loads use bullet weight and mass to get the job done. High pressure/high velocity makes them less pleasant to plink but again, high speed isnt necessary. Heavy and slow will penetrate plenty for social work and wont abuse the shooter.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Id have to agree that there is plenty of wheel gun love here. While I am drawn to my 45 ACP 1911s, and 9mm Hi-Powers, I actually own many more wheel guns than autos. The carry gun you are most likely to find me with on a normal kicking around town day is one of my J-Frames. I have a "new" 442, and an older Model 60. My wife also has an LCR that I am allowed to carry in a pinch. Of the small options that I have, I typically go with the handsome M60. The 442 has its place, and it does get to see carry duty, I just prefer the old school little hammer gun.

As far as ammo goes, I usually practice with 147gr waddcutters in all of them. They are cheap, easy to load, and VERY low recoil. For carry duty, I guess I stand apart from the majority, and carry 125 gr Remington +Ps. The recoil is stout, but not unmanageable, and they happen to be very accurate in all of the guns I have tried this load in.

If I need more than the little J frame can muster with that load, I step up to the K-frames, and go long, with the 357 Mag.

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    My favorite wheel gun is a S&W mod. 60 .357, I like stainless steel and the option of using loads from light plinking to .357 mag. Just a personal preferance. Good luck.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Not that I'm trying to run you off from here, of course. :) I'm on the Smith forum also, and there is much more wheelgun love there than there is here.

well at least I don't think there's too much animosity towards 'em.
    I'm a recent convert myself :) and my old buddies keep asking about what Glocks I have nowadays... the answer is none

There is really only plastic gun love here.

there might be more visible tupperware love, but I think a lot of people enjoy both.
    It's not necessarily an either/or kind of thing

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    For anything S&W revolver related, see Denny Reichard at Sand Burr Gun Ranch in Rochester. He is a revolver man through and through. He is known as one of the top revolver smiths in the country. He also teaches a good snubbie class. He is a crusty old retired cop, but is a wealth of information.
    Sand Burr Gun Ranch
    +1, I have, and by I, I mean my wife, a Denny Reichard 640 snubbie in tree fife seven, and it is a work of art! Butter smooth action!

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I carry a Smith and Wesson 640-1 daily...I have a Lew Horton Smith and Wesson 24-3 in 44 special with a 2.5 inch barrel and a round butt that I sometimes pack when I feel the need to have a "Big Iron on my hip" to borrow a line from the late, great Marty Robbins...A 66-5 KY DOC and Parole 2.5 snubbie is with me at all times either in my desk drawer, BUG out bag or hip depending on the time of day....

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Have had a J frame since 1987. Currently own a 442, in Satin Nickel finish. Pocket, ankle, IWB, all work well. Usually a BUG to a Service Weapon of Glock, or a 1911A. Many a "milk n bread run" has rode in my jacket pocket. Carried w/ Nyclads, 125gr, never an issue. Also carry 2 speedloaders, or speed strips for backup.
    Great choices out there. You need a snubbie.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    "there is really only plastic gun love here"... Yup. Every time I walk up to a handgun counter all I see are plastic guns. It's bad. It's nationwide. It's profit margin and shipping costs.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have been daily carrying a SS S&W 640-3 357mag as my bug to my 1911. It's hammerless. I like that because I pocket carry(in a pocket holster) without snagging it on my pocket. It is +P rated. I use Horaday critical defense 38spl +P rounds. The gun is small & easy to conceal. I have zero complaints with it! Except maybe that 357mag rounds are a handful with a 1.8 inch barrel! lol

devil07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    East Side Indy
    I picked up a Smith 649 (stainless, .357, shrouded hammer) a few months ago. I really, really like it. It's my go-to gun off duty anymore. It handles .357 well, at least, a whooooolllleeee lot better than the 340 I got years back (ouch). It is weighty for it's size, due to the stainless steel construction, but I like it. I've always been a fan of snubbies, just not a huge fan of the 5rd limit (excluding the oddball .327).
    Currently loaded with Hornady critical defense.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    I have a Model 40 that I've owned for about forty years. It's the old model hammerless with the grip safety. I carried it as my bug when I was on the job. It's hard to beat for pocket carry. My off-duty and undercover was a Model 19 snub (this was back when you couldn't buy a 66 because they all went to the Secret Service). It was an easy carry but absolute hell to shoot.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I ended up with my mom's Taurus 85, finally put some rounds through it Saturday and I was impressed. Not a bad shooter so I think it will be a truck gun. Snubbies are cool, fun to look at and conceal, often hard to shoot well.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Hammerless or shrouded, get what you like. Get them in pairs. Snubbies are expert weapons and you need to wear one out in order to obtain proficiency with it.

I prefer the shrouded variant as I don't like to roll check just on the trigger. I like having my thumb on the hammer as I roll it, ymmv.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Hammerless or shrouded, get what you like. Get them in pairs. Snubbies are expert weapons and you need to wear one out in order to obtain proficiency with it.

I prefer the shrouded variant as I don't like to roll check just on the trigger. I like having my thumb on the hammer as I roll it, ymmv.

I am leaning towards a model 49 due to it being all steel. Might be a little tougher finding a duplicate but it is certainly doable.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I love the Snubbies for pocket carry, this Colt Detective Special with factory shroud lives in a coat pocket during the winter. Loaded with CorBon DPX I think it can handle just about any problem that could arise. I also would highly recommend Ed Lovette's book "The Snubby Revolver" for anyone wanting one of the fine firearms.

coltcase2.jpg

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    I pocket carry a S&W 638 when going on my daily walk in the neighborhood. Newish production, absolutely nothing special about it, it even has the hated Clinton cavern, but it works more than well enough for what I use it for.

I also have a Colt Detective Special that is a wonderful little spinner, wish they still made them. Oh yeah, I do have a snub Smith 629 that I carry just for grins at times. Loaded with .44 special of course. Very expensive to feed, that one!

Top Bottom