• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    For anything S&W revolver related, see Denny Reichard at Sand Burr Gun Ranch in Rochester. He is a revolver man through and through. He is known as one of the top revolver smiths in the country. He also teaches a good snubbie class. He is a crusty old retired cop, but is a wealth of information.
    Sand Burr Gun Ranch

Wow...how did I not know about this place?! I have an old Dan Wesson .357 that I want to take apart this winter and give a good cleaning. Might be a good source for parts, etc., if I need anything. I got lucky last weekend and picked up a Ruger Security-Six .357...that is also one sweet gun!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    When I decided to get one, I looked at some of the beautiful old Smiths suitable for what you are looking for... finally I just got a new 442. It is light. It handles +P. I won't give a **** when I scratch it, which I would cry if I scratched some of the revolvers posted in this thread. So I throw this one in my pocket, in the console, in my ankle holster and its all good. Is it fun to shoot, no. Can I shoot it, yes. If I have to use it in the wild, I won't be worrying about it.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    I am interested in picking up another snubbie. I've had them before and liked them but, you know, sometimes things get away. Anyway, being a fan of classic, i.e. older, guns I have been drawn to the model 49 and model 38 Smiths. Yesterday, at a local gun shop, the gunsmith at the shop told me to be wary of them because they are not rated for +P. The modern snubbies like the 442,etc. are okay, they just don't interest me as much as an older model. Plus, I like steel guns moreso then other alloys. So, what does INGO think?

For information purposes I will either get a hammerless or a shrouded hammer model.

Paging Kirk Freeman...

I like revolvers, especially for pocket carry. I bought a S&W M&P 340CT a few years back. It's awesome for carry but not awesome to shoot. Initially I tried finding the "softest" shooting 357 rounds to shoot out of it and liked the Golden Saber, but eventually I just gave up and went to 38 +P. I carry the Corbon thunder Ranch 100gr DPX in it. I'd rather have my Walther PPQ, but I'd rather have my 340 than nothing and it's just ridiculous easy to carry. I carry it in a Safariland pocket holster.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I like revolvers, especially for pocket carry. I bought a S&W M&P 340CT a few years back. It's awesome for carry but not awesome to shoot. Initially I tried finding the "softest" shooting 357 rounds to shoot out of it and liked the Golden Saber, but eventually I just gave up and went to 38 +P. I carry the Corbon thunder Ranch 100gr DPX in it. I'd rather have my Walther PPQ, but I'd rather have my 340 than nothing and it's just ridiculous easy to carry. I carry it in a Safariland pocket holster.

Snubbies can be a bear to shoot.
    Have you tried a rubber grip that covers the back strap?

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    Snubbies can be a bear to shoot.
    Have you tried a rubber grip that covers the back strap?

Well, yes kinda... the crimson trace model has an integrated additional rubber portion on the back of it. If you google M&P 340CT you will see it. Its a rubber saddle sortof portion that puts some space between the grip and your hand. It helps over the standard model, but doesn't make it fun by any means. 357 feels like you are holding a 2x4 and someone smacks it hard with another 2x4. Or like when you hit a big rock with a baseball bat as a kid.

It's HARD to shoot too because the trigger pull is right around 12 pounds and the travel is a mile. I'm exaggerating a bit, but when you add a pound of trigger pull per ounce of handgun your trigger control is TRICKY. It's the epitome of a "self defense" weapon cause if you get further than 20 feet away from me and move around at all I probably can't hit you! All in all though, it's a solid platfrom IMO and I trust it to be better than defending myself with a knife. I just can't think of a better and more easily concealed pistol when all you have on are shorts and a t-shirt.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well, yes kinda... the crimson trace model has an integrated additional rubber portion on the back of it. If you google M&P 340CT you will see it. Its a rubber saddle sortof portion that puts some space between the grip and your hand. It helps over the standard model, but doesn't make it fun by any means. 357 feels like you are holding a 2x4 and someone smacks it hard with another 2x4. Or like when you hit a big rock with a baseball bat as a kid.

It's HARD to shoot too because the trigger pull is right around 12 pounds and the travel is a mile. I'm exaggerating a bit, but when you add a pound of trigger pull per ounce of handgun your trigger control is TRICKY. It's the epitome of a "self defense" weapon cause if you get further than 20 feet away from me and move around at all I probably can't hit you! All in all though, it's a solid platfrom IMO and I trust it to be better than defending myself with a knife. I just can't think of a better and more easily concealed pistol when all you have on are shorts and a t-shirt.

They can be a handful. In the link above we shot snubbies for something like 3 hours.
    But, I think if you train, analyze what you're doing/doing wrong, you should be able to hit past 20 feet.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana

Have the trigger tuned by someone who knows what they are doing and practice, practice, practice. I can hit a full size steel silhouette at 100 yards 4 out of 5 shots without much difficulty with my 642. The trigger in that gun is just about as smooth as a target tuned trigger in a K-Frame. I do keep DPX 100 grainers or Federal 125 Nyclads in mine for carry.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    They can be a handful. In the link above we shot snubbies for something like 3 hours.
    But, I think if you train, analyze what you're doing/doing wrong, you should be able to hit past 20 feet.

We shot steel poppers at 100 yards at the snubbie class I mentioned at Sand Burr Gun Ranch. Not easy, but at the end of a 8 hour day of good instruction and around 500 rounds (IIRC) it is doable.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I admit I need some more trigger time with my S&W 640-3. I can to 1 to 1 1/2 inch groups fairly consistent at 10 yards or so. That's on a good day. Probably good enough but room for improvement. Here is a target from one of my first range trips with it.

My sight mods. just finger nail paint. It has worn well for 2 years being on the gun.

The thing I like the most is it is small. So easy to conceal. Then I love the over sized rubber grips. And the stainless for wear and easy cleanup. Things I don't like. Shooting 357's out of it. They sting your hand a bit. I have had major surgery on my wrist and they kill my wrist :( .38 +p's are not to bad. I would want to shoot 50 at a time. ,38spl are an easy shoot. The trigger pull is ungodly heavy. I bought a spring kit to reduce it. I haven't got around to installing it yet.

I am going to be honest and say I was not a revolver person until I shot this. The small snubbie's that I had previously tried just flat out sucked. My hands are big. Without the over sized grips there is no place for my little finger. Wood grips look pretty but this guns not for beauty. I don't feel comfortable with out all my fingers on the grip. My hang strength is weaker after the surgery I had. This thing is fun! it's super easy to conceal. It's safe to say that this gun is my second favorite (My 1911 is my fav). I carry this everywhere I legally can! I have been carrying it more then my 1911 this summer.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Currently at home I have my 642, Model 12, Detective Special, 625-10, and 325 PD (not really a snubby but close). My Daughter has my S&W .22/32 Kit Gun and a couple 2" Model 10 are with other family members.

As a side note...do not accidentally drop a moon clip of 45 Super in your lightweight 45acp snubbies in a BUG competition...they hurt...;)

e5b085bb-4205-4201-a2e4-2bf8ee80fc31_zpsb3d9a739.jpg

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Oh yeah. That's a snubby. When you fire one of those with a good handload the Straegic Air Command has this little red "launch detection warning" light that flashes on and off. Phones are snatched from cradles. People leap from their racks. Expect drones in your airspace. Find HARD cover. Absolutely right that's a snubby. Those "purse size" semi autos are properly referred to as "chop jobs". Only a real pistolsmith knows these things.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Willphill12
    Top Bottom