So, I was helping my husband put up a tree stand yesterday...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    and this happened to catch my eye... something funny looking about 30 feet away...

IMG_1714.jpg

So I patiently waited for him to finish tying off the stand and climb down so I could take a closer look. Low and behold... we had SHROOMAGE! After I finished my "happy dance", we found a total of 13 shrooms, weighing in at a total of 9oz. (the largest was 2oz.), and all within about a 15 foot diameter...

IMG_1723.jpg

Hubby and I figured that it would be difficult for you to fully appreciate the size of the shrooms next to a dollar bill, so we decided to take pix next to something you could relate better to... can I get a WITNESS!!!!

IMG_1752.jpg

I never thought I would get so dang excited over finding fungus. :D

Oh, and by the way, this is the first time I have EVER found these (produce section of Kroger doesn't count). I was beginning to think it was all a fable.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I dunno.. bacon, when cooked properly, has a pretty low "Kill the Consumer" ratio. And it's not like Norwellian Bacon, which looks a whole lot like Canadian Bacon, will kill you..

I'll take my mushrooms in Campbell's soup, thanks.. or maybe on pizza..

If you like those, though, good for you!! Just stay safe :)

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Aw come on. Don't be fun-suckers. Morels are easy to identify. The "false morels" are easy to distinguish from the real ones.

I bet these will be GOOOOD with bacon! I'm thinking breakfast saturday morning... omelettes! Any other suggestions?

Last edited:

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    Aw come on. Don't be fun-suckers. Morels are easy to identify. The "false morels" are easy to distinguish from the real ones.

I bet these will be GOOOOD with bacon! I'm thinking breakfast saturday morning... omelettes! Any other suggestions?

fun-sucker...thats a funny one :D

Breakfast on Saturday morning...omelettes!

Saturday night in the the ER getting stomach pumped due to ingesting some wild poisonous fungus from the forest floor....

ermmm priceless?

Good luck Jen :): Lets hear how they were :yesway:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I used to go shroom hunting with my Uncle when I was a young pup. Some of the best memories of my childhood.

You city folk either crack me up, or worry me. I can't decide. You can't call yourself a survivalist talking about "I won't touch wild fungus without a botanist (or three) present." or "Saturday night in the the ER getting stomach pumped due to ingesting some wild poisonous fungus from the forest floor...."!

I'm just sayin... :p

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Oh, and by the way, this is the first time I have EVER found these (produce section of Kroger doesn't count). I was beginning to think it was all a fable.

You've found Morels at Kroger??!! How/where did they get them?

I thought it was impossible to cultivate morels and they had to be "found" wherever they choose to grow on any given year.

PS I don't eat mushrooms, either with or without a botanist's positive identification. I'm still remembering the time just a few years ago when I fell for the "it tastes just like a hamburger" lie about those big portabello mushrooms when they are grilled. It's not true. Not even close!

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    You've found Morels at Kroger??!! How/where did they get them?

I thought it was impossible to cultivate morels and they had to be "found" wherever they choose to grow on any given year.

PS I don't eat mushrooms, either with or without a botanist's positive identification. I'm still remembering the time just a few years ago when I fell for the "it tastes just like a hamburger" lie about those big portabello mushrooms when they are grilled. It's not true. Not even close!
    But a big slice of portabello and a tomato on a burger sure is taste :)
    Congrats on the shrooms :) Soak them in salt water to kill any little critters,fry and enjoy.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I used to go shroom hunting with my Uncle when I was a young pup. Some of the best memories of my childhood.

You city folk either crack me up, or worry me. I can't decide. You can't call yourself a survivalist talking about "I won't touch wild fungus without a botanist (or three) present." or "Saturday night in the the ER getting stomach pumped due to ingesting some wild poisonous fungus from the forest floor...."!

I'm just sayin... :p

City folk? Not even close. I just don't touch the fungus. There's plenty of other stuff to eat in the wild that doesn't require rolling dice with your life.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0

Right now they are going for $46 per lb. at the road-side markets. Those need to be batter-dipped (egg and flour) and fried.... OMG... They should be popping up all over this weekend with the ground damp and the warm sunshine!!! I found a couple of pecker-heads yesterday in a poplar grove. No morels yet. This was down between Martinsville and Bloomington.

Last edited:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008

:rockwoot:

I know plenty of things in the wild you can eat too, and I don't like shrooms, but those morels are some damn good eating. As long as you know the difference between the bad and good, and know how to cook them there's no problems. I like these kinds of shrooms. Especially when you don't have real food to cook and you are living off the forest. I've taken 3 survival courses 2 of which were through Boy Scouts. If SHTF I can support my family living off the land. :D

:patriot:

Top Bottom