So.. what are you reloading at the moment??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    400 12 gauge loaded tonight so far. Trying to get a years worth of them done for the 2017 Cowboy Action season. Then moving to .44 then .30-30 then .45-70 then 20 gauge then .38 Specials then .38-55 then then. I'll be busy all winter. My goal is to run out of components this winter. Not sure if I can

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    My dies for 8mm Mauser came in. I think I am gonna give a try at reforming some 30-06 brass for 8mm just for the hell of it. Anyone here ever do it? Looks very doable from the posts I have seen on a few forums. I have some brass someone gave me that they screwed up trimming. So it's a good use for it.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Hello Wabbit! How have you been?

I gave a try at resizing 30-06 to 8mm Mauser. Pretty easy honestly. But I had a issue with the board that my press is mounted to. It takes a bit of pressure. I ended up cracking the wood. It was just pine. I have some birch I think I can make it out of.

Photobucket seems to be having issues today. I will try to post some pictures in the next day or so. It takes a couple good rams to get it threw the press. Cutting the neck down is no big issue. Not a bad job after all.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Photobucket seems to be ok at the moment.

The one on the right is the stock 30-06 brass.

Same deal here. You can tell the difference. 8mm on the left.

You can see a faint line on the neck I made. That is where the brass needs to be cut down too to be the correct length. For 8mm Mauser.

My only failure was the brace I made to mount the press to. I have another heavier wood to replace it with. Np.

rekaddab

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2016
    crowheart
    45 colt chronograph with 240 gr xtp

have you tried the aa-9 with the 240 GR Hornady XTPs-- 21.4 gr gives me 1,162 f/s and 21.9 gives me 1,183 with a ruger Blackhawk with 5 inch barrel - have yet to try the chronograph with a henry big boy with 20" barrel - next trip to the range will get the data

Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Not actually reloading at the moment but am prepping some stuff.Dug out all the spent brass I had (.308,9mm,.357,45 Libertarian,.38Special and 7.62x25) and have them in the tumbler right now.My reloading "bench" was a corner of my workbench but yesterday Home Depot had a huge sale on Husky 9 drawer roll arounds with butcher block tops. Spent yesterday making it my reloading bench. Nice to now open a drawer and see my reloading stuff and not digging around in the cabinet for everything.
    d32ae433-bf2e-49ee-97a4-bed9a967a205_1000.jpg Just ordered some .243 cases and Sierra bullets.The grandson is hunting by himself a lot now and when I asked him if he was saving the brass all I got was "Huh?" , so reloading some .243 will be my next project.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Hello Wabbit! How have you been?

Not too bad. Been busy setting up the lair for 45-70 reloads instead of working on my AKM UF and AMD-65. I just picked up 45 Colt dies for the New Vaquero wife let me buy for Veteran's day. I'll be reloading 45 Colt after the 45-70 and a trip to Ind Bullet Co. Instead of building AKs, I've been shooting cowboys guns - Marlin 1895, wife's Marlin 336, and now the New Vaquero.

I had to reinforce my pine workbench too after a few AK builds.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Various .300 BLK (Sierra Matchking 200gr) & (Palmetto Projectiles 203gr) working up loads for my 8.5" SBR. Ordered some of the Leatherhead 220gr, when they arrive, will load some up & hit range for Chrono & Accuracy.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Finished up the last batch of 115 and 124gr 9mm's. from now on I'll be only loading subsonic for my suppressors.

There are plenty data for 147, but 165 is still kinda murky. I've got 3k of each, probably give the 165 a try next year.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Not too bad. Been busy setting up the lair for 45-70 reloads instead of working on my AKM UF and AMD-65. I just picked up 45 Colt dies for the New Vaquero wife let me buy for Veteran's day. I'll be reloading 45 Colt after the 45-70 and a trip to Ind Bullet Co. Instead of building AKs, I've been shooting cowboys guns - Marlin 1895, wife's Marlin 336, and now the New Vaquero.

I had to reinforce my pine workbench too after a few AK builds.

Sounds awesome. The 45-70 is such a classic & cool round. It will knock anything down. I have been shooting the Hornady Leverevolution stuff. I now have the dies to reload it and I am going to play with a few different loads.

Sadly I haven't gotten back to my AK projects :-( I think I will do it as a winter project. My health hasn't allowed much driving so I haven't been able to make it down to any of the recent build party's.

I really had to lean on the press to force the 30-06 brass threw the 8mm dies. I wasn't to surprised when it cracked. It's a portable setup I can clamp to a table or one of the shop work benches. Or to someone place else to reload. I have a much heavier board to replace it with. Reloading is a bit addictive. I have bought dies for everything now. I haven't bought a box of ammo since this spring.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    22 hornet, 6.5 Swede, .44mag(for rifle). Could use advice on the hornet and 44.
    Have Remington 799 Hornet (rebranded Zastava).
    Fun lil round, but it can be a pain also. Brass is VERY thin, and you can collapse a case before you know it.
    Haven't fooled with it in a while, but if I remember correctly, finally settled on Sierra 45 gr Hornet bullets, and a near max load of Lil Gun.
    Brass is pretty thin on the ground these days. Was buying Privi (half the price of Winchester or Remington), and saving the brass.

Rifle was never as accurate as I thought it should be. Only around 2 MOA
    Timney makes a trigger, which would help, as would better glass.
    I'll get back to it at some point <grin>

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Finally got out to try out some of my 45 loads and all went well! I tried a very vanilla 230gr ball round and it loaded and fired in every 45 I own. I will probably play with powders a little but other than that I'm pretty happy with the form factor anyway.
    I made a few loads (one longer, one shorter COAL) using the 185gr HP XTP bullet and found one that cycled in everything pretty well. My little 3" Ultra Carry really liked these which I was impressed with as its pretty stinking fussy. It liked both bullet configurations. The shorter load I made didn't feed at all in my old 5" 1911, however my longer COAL load was flawless. So with this bullet as well I at least have a form factor I think will work.
    First impressions of reloading are glowing so far!
    In unrelated news, my previously 100% reliable carry (XDS 45), showed light primer strike issues with various ammo tested, in the process of getting that figured out. :( I'm using Winchester primers, so at this point I am looking at the firearm.

Last edited:

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    On your light strikes, make sure your primers are seated all the way.
    Light strikes, sometimes, its seating the primers on the first hit, then they will go off.
    Could also be coal is to long and its seating the bullet deeper on the first hit

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I'll load some more up and do some more testing. Good call on the primers being seated all the way, while I THINK they were all good, it was my first batch. Ill try not to jump to too many conclusions yet.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Make sure you check the oal of the rounds also, the bullet might be bottoming out in the chamber and the pistol might not be all the way in battery

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    My reloading supplies came in this afternoon. I am restocked on my 44mag 225ftx's. And the brass and projectiles came in for the 8mm Mauser. As well as the Hornady 212 ELD-x 308's for the 300wm. They waved the Hazmat fees on some of the primers, so I stocked up. I am set for a bit on primers. Although it looks like I could use some Reloader 22 powder. Seems there is always the need for one more powder to stock..... Grrr.....

I have no excuse not to load up some stuff this week!

Top Bottom