So you want to reload but you don’t know where to begin (??)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • acyork50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    I like the idea of two single stage presses so I can measure case lengths after expander die, with turret or progressive once the piece of brass is on the merry go round it doesn't come off until it is loaded and crimped. That means it is a little late for measuring with dial calipers until the cartridge is loaded. If you are starting out I would buy the single stage kit, includes the items needed to reload without the fancy stuff, don't worry once you have it down you can always graduate up to the faster action on a progressive.

acyork50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    If you are looking for brass for an expensive brass type, example 7.62X54R expensive brass to buy or 22-250, I would suggest buying factory loads that are boxer primed - single flash hole and reclaim your brass. I have never had any trouble reloading once fired brass from midway or other sources - just inspect the cases - sort out the head stamps for common factory names.

Skroggster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Kokomo, Indiana
    Heck I have spent HOURS scouring the internet looking for this information. You have just made it a 1 stop shop! Kudo's to you and the wealth of knowledge you have brought to the foresight! Thank You :rockwoot::yesway::yesway::yesway:

PeacekeeperMX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Great Post linkpimp. Thanks! I would like contribute a little I've learned about accuracy, although I'm no expert. For accuracy really focus on each round and take your time with each one.

First sort by mfg, Clean, Size & Trim your brass (I think Lapua is the best but others are good as well)
    Weigh each case and sort them into groups based on that
    Weigh each powder load exactly (this is very important)
    Use Sierra Match Kings (again others are good but this is my pick)
    When loaded check them on a RCBS Case Master (checks bullet run out)
    Pick your best rounds with the least runout. It's amazing the difference this will make. I use the rounds with more runout for general shooting and the ones with the least for the the best accuracy.

Last make minor adjustments to the powder charge to tailor the loads to your rifle. The "accuracy loads" in the Sierra Reloading Manuals is a really good place to start your load development.

Another important thing to remember for accuracy is the most accurate load is usually nowhere near the hottest load for your caliber.

Be careful & Have Fun!

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the information. This is what I needed. Finally bitting the "bullet" and getting started on reloading. Great info for this Newbie

bod

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    wish i had read this before i stared reloading. There is alot of very good info in here that would have saved me alot of time trying to decide what to but and use.​

linkpimp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    So-Cal ~ Huntington Beach
    Hey first and foremost.. Team you’re more than welcome, I’m glad you found this post helpful.

is there a big safety issue if i wanted to start reloading?

Yes!.. If you do it wrong just once!, you can blow up your gun and even die!.. IMO a strong foundation is a must..

it all starts with books.. then meet up with a local reloader and ask, see how he does it.. Baby steps at first.. You double, tipple check everything. I can not stress this enough.. if you do it wrong you die.. and yes there is wrong in under pressure and over pressure.. you only have a small window to get it right..

+ You now have live powder and primers at your house..

There are many safety issues to be concerned about..

But... if you build yourself a strong foundation and follow advice and the manuals instructions you'll be fine..

It's all a calculated risk Sir..

Me.. I'm 100% positive in my of loads, even the experimental ones for my wild cat rounds.. It all about knowing what your doing before you do it..

Best of luck and please be safe out there..

Link..

chrisheacock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    This is fantastic, thanks so much for the post.

As the pres is a lifetime investment, I'm torn between two ways of starting my reloading...

1) Buy a Lee turret and start adding to it, eventually upgrading to a nice Dillon if I end up enjoying it as a hobby as much as a cost saver/precision guarantee.

2) Save up front for a Dillon and start off with a top-of-the-line press. (Still adding to it, of course)

A fellow INGOer, whom I work with, said that he never needs to sell his older equipment as he can always find a user for an older turret or even a single stage press.

If anyone has words of wisdom for me above what's already in this thread, I'm all ears!

Thanks again!

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I started reloading a few months ago and this info has been invaluable!

Don't be afraid to give it a shot fellas, well worth the investment.

ayester1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Thanks for the information. You've given me an excellent place to start. I can see that joining INGO was a good idea!

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I would like to start but still unsure which press to by I know that I want a press that will mount to a table and single stage would be fine. I am looing to reload 7.62 and in the feature probably .308 Both for accuracy reasons. And places to buy 7.62 brass would be help ful to. Thanks for all the great info.
    The web is full of places to buy brass... brass man brass, once fired brass, ect... just type in once fired brass, in your search engine, and wa la, you will be busy for hours looking for brass !!!!!

lwilli

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    I am very impressed how you articulated all the information. You have literally saved me hours of research and comparison. In addition, the information you have listed for reloading supplies is invaluable. There is such a wealth of information and experience on this sight a guy could spend hours just absorbing it all.

Top Bottom