So you want to reload but you don’t know where to begin (??)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Thanks for the great post!

I want to learn how to reload and this was a nice summary of whats involved, what to look for, and to begin to see how much money has to go on the bench :)

DNRrangemaster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Andrews, In
    Certainly a lot of info in this thread for someone starting out. I teach reloading at Roush from time to time and there is a lot to be said for getting hands on without buying a lot at first. All one needs to do is sign up at the range when I post a class-pay $45 up front and bring safety glasses. You will get hands-on experience and my nearly 40 years expertise at what you would like to do. You get the NRA Guide to Reloading, the latest Lyman load manual and a free 1 day range pass. Feel fre to stop by the range anytime to talk about it.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Just went to Amazon (9-12-2011). Clicked on the book that was recommended in the original post - ABC's of Reloading by Bill Chevalier. It is no longer available from Amazon, although you can buy a new copy from another seller for $60 or a used copy for $30. Amazon pointed me to what it lists as the "newer edition" of this book - The ABCs Of Reloading: The Definitive Guide for Novice to Expert by Rodney James. This book sells for $17.81.

Can anyone verify that this is a worthwhile substitute? Thanks in advance.

Lt Payne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    Evansville
    I'm thinking of going in on a bench round the end of the year. Been thinking bout that Lee starting kit from Midway USA. This thead is some good readin material for sure.

linkpimp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    So-Cal ~ Huntington Beach
    Certainly a lot of info in this thread for someone starting out. I teach reloading at Roush from time to time and there is a lot to be said for getting hands on without buying a lot at first. All one needs to do is sign up at the range when I post a class-pay $45 up front and bring safety glasses. You will get hands-on experience and my nearly 40 years expertise at what you would like to do. You get the NRA Guide to Reloading, the latest Lyman load manual and a free 1 day range pass. Feel fre to stop by the range anytime to talk about it.

Two thumbs down to you!!! how dare you charge fellow reloader’s to learn this stuff.. That just pissing me off, please take you freeloading ass off this thread.. We are here to HELP each other out, not to charge for our experience.. how dare you post this crap up in my thread.. I've taught tons of local guys how to reload safely here and have never charged anyone.. You bastard!..

If you were any kind of individual you would want to help people out for FREE.. This is a hobby and were all here to learn.. I cant believe you have to balls to post that up! F-YOU and the horse you rode in on!..

Last edited:

linkpimp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Just went to Amazon (9-12-2011). Clicked on the book that was recommended in the original post - ABC's of Reloading by Bill Chevalier. It is no longer available from Amazon, although you can buy a new copy from another seller for $60 or a used copy for $30. Amazon pointed me to what it lists as the "newer edition" of this book - The ABCs Of Reloading: The Definitive Guide for Novice to Expert by Rodney James. This book sells for $17.81.

Can anyone verify that this is a worthwhile substitute? Thanks in advance.

here's the link you want.. sorry the link is out of date.. I'll update it now..

Link.. WOW It's $21.00 now... sorry..

Walmart.com: The ABC's of Reloading: The Definitive Guide for Novice to Expert, Chevalier, Bill: Home, Hobbies & Garden

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    Either someone forgot purple or they seriously need their meds adjusted.

Plenty of people plug their classes and wares here and no one treats them as bad as dnr just was treated.

Learn some etiquette

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    Either someone forgot purple or they seriously need their meds adjusted.

Plenty of people plug their classes and wares here and no one treats them as bad as dnr just was treated.

Learn some etiquette
    :+1: For what you get, including a range day, sounds like DNR is offering a bargain. I paid for reloading classes and feel like I got WAY more than my money's worth, including a full box of my reloaded ammunition. Quite a good deal. And everyone learns differently. For some, they could simply read a lot about it and start in. Others need to have some "hands on" in order for it to sink in properly.

linkpimp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Hey if you guys like paying for something that should be free, more power to you!. Personally I’ve taught tons of locals how to reload and have never changed anyone for it.. What really pissed me off is that he had the odasitiy to post up his services in my thread.. That’s not what this thread is about!.. It’s all about building a strong foundation.. Knowledge should be given away for free and not charged for.. Sorry I’m just old fashion that way..

Link

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    What I received for my very meager fee was worth more than I could buy the supplies at Wal-Mart.

And while I very much appreciate the fact that you started this thread, I don't think you own it. It's owned by INGO and the users. You don't get to start a thread and then say that only certain people can post in it.

I would not have had a problem with you saying that you think it should be free and that he shouldn't charge for services. But that's not what you said. What you said was:
    ,...how dare you charge fellow reloader’s to learn this stuff.. That just pissing me off....... how dare you post this crap up in my thread...... You bastard!........F-YOU and the horse you rode in on!..
    That is WAY over the line in my opinion. Just not called for and totally destroys the spirit of YOUR thread.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Two thumbs down to you!!! how dare you charge fellow reloader’s to learn this stuff.. That just pissing me off, please take you freeloading ass off this thread.. We are here to HELP each other out, not to charge for our experience.. how dare you post this crap up in my thread.. I've taught tons of local guys how to reload safely here and have never charged anyone.. You bastard!..

If you were any kind of individual you would want to help people out for FREE.. This is a hobby and were all here to learn.. I cant believe you have to balls to post that up! F-YOU and the horse you rode in on!..

Is this what California does to people? Count me out.

Plug for my classes too. Let's see what the PIMP has to say about that.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Reloading can be a bit intimidating at first. There is so much information on the internet, reloading manuals, and powder company data. 1. If you can attend, I highly recommend a reloading class. 2. Get a good up to date reloading manual. 3. Ask questions. 4. Read the instructions on any equipment you buy, make sure everything is set up correctly. 5. Take you time and do it right, things will speed up the more you do it. 6. Get in the habit of following the same process every time. It will help you keep from making mistakes. Reloading is not as difficult as it seems to be. I'm no expert, but I'll help anyone the best that I can.

indianabob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2011
    thanks for the info i "had" a dillion 550 and it came up "missing" with my last divorce..she swore under oath she did not know where it was and my my attorney charging $225 a hour i wrote it off..i shot cowboy action a couple of years and loved loved my dillion..want to but another and am leaning to the 650 this time.

USMCsergeant

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2011
    Vincennes
    This is really nice! Thanks for all the info.

This may be a stupid question, but I am new to this so I will ask anyways. Are there classes you should/can take if you are wanting to start reloading? I love the guide here, just wanting to gather as much info as possible. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
    Top Bottom