• ...and so much more!
  • steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    phylodog said:
    Of course not, jumping out of your car as soon as you are pulled over for a legitimate violation of the law and being an ass definitely was though.

Jumping out of his car and being belligerent was also foolish.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Jumping out of his car and being belligerent was also foolish.

I think the officer could have helped the man not go to jail by trying to deescalate the situation. As I said earlier going full on authoritative mode off the bat just fueled the guy's rage. I think the cop had an opportunity to be the counterexample to what the guy was so frustrated about. But helping an obviously upset and frustrated black male after a sensationalized racial news event, would have been going well beyond what's expected of him. He's hired to do stuff like ticket people for not wearing seat belts. I don't see him doing anything outside of his job scope either negative or positive.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    But...but...bit he was driving without a seatbelt. Do you understand? DRIVING WITHOUT A SEATBELT!!! Can you even imagine how dangerous it is to DRIVE WITHOUT A SEATBELT?!?!?!

THANK GOD we have people in uniform to save us from people DRIVING WITHOUT A SEATBELT.

I only hope I can have more of my property confiscated through taxation to fund more cops on the street to protect us from people DRIVING WITHOUT A SEATBELT!

So the police should only enforce the laws that YOU don't break, eh? :rolleyes:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I think the officer could have helped the man not go to jail by trying to deescalate the situation. As I said earlier going full on authoritative mode off the bat just fueled the guy's rage. I think the cop had an opportunity to be the counterexample to what the guy was so frustrated about. But helping an obviously upset and frustrated black male after a sensationalized racial news event, would have been going well beyond what's expected of him. He's hired to do stuff like ticket people for not wearing seat belts. I don't see him doing anything outside of his job scope either negative or positive.
    First words out of the officer's mouth were, "Hey man, can you get back in the car for me?" That constitutes "full on authoritative mode"?? Really? Sounded like a courteous request to me. :dunno:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    First words out of the officer's mouth were, "Hey man, can you get back in the car for me?" That constitutes "full on authoritative mode"?? Really? Sounded like a courteous request to me. :dunno:

Didn't take him long to go on with the "I am ordering you..."

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    i wonder if more and more young men are going to try to become cnn famous by getting themselves killed by cops or others...look at all the post mortem attention they recieve....used to be they wanted to go out like a gangsta like biggie or tupac, now they wanna go out like a martyr..for what exactly, i dunno

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011

its not their job to help you not go to jail..in fact i think their job is the exact opposite of that

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Didn't take him long to go on with the "I am ordering you..."

How long should it have taken? The driver could have easily deescalated the situation by simple doing as he was (politely) asked. Instead he chose to be belligerent and then go into full two year old mode, banging his hands on the car like a spoiled brat that just got told he couldn't have a piece of candy.

Officer: "Hey man, can you get back in the car for me?"
    Driver: :tantrum:

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Who the hell could possibly blame the cop for the motorist's behavior? The guy obviously had a chip on his shoulder and wanted to vent (all the way to jail). I hope he enjoyed his stay.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    its not their job to help you not go to jail..in fact i think their job is the exact opposite of that

That's the point. That's not his job. Doing that would be going above what's expected.

This was a situation where the guy was going off because he was just sure that he was stopped because he's black. I think he was stopped because he wasn't wearing a seatbelt. The officer can look at the situation and just say that. "Sir, please get back in your car, I pulled you over for not wearing a seatbelt. That's nothing to go to jail over. I can have you on your way in just a few minutes, or you can continue to needlessly rave on like that in front of your child and he can watch you go to jail."

I do have to commend the officer for some of his behavior as he did try to appeal to the guy's sense of fatherhood at one point. It's the "I am ordering you" stuff that helped fuel stuff.

How long should it have taken? The driver could have easily deescalated the situation by simple doing as he was (politely) asked. Instead he chose to be belligerent and then go into full two year old mode, banging his hands on the car like a spoiled brat that just got told he couldn't have a piece of candy.

Exactly. End result is, a (presumably) father is in jail, and a kid gets to see the police as taking dad away. Two more people hate cops more than they did before. Maybe trying to deescalate the situation wouldn't have changed their attitude. The way it ended certainly didn't help though.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    That's the point. That's not his job. Doing that would be going above what's expected.

This was a situation where the guy was going off because he was just sure that he was stopped because he's black. I think he was stopped because he wasn't wearing a seatbelt. The officer can look at the situation and just say that. "Sir, please get back in your car, I pulled you over for not wearing a seatbelt. That's nothing to go to jail over. I can have you on your way in just a few minutes, or you can continue to needlessly rave on like that in front of your child and he can watch you go to jail."

I do have to commend the officer for some of his behavior as he did try to appeal to the guy's sense of fatherhood at one point. It's the "I am ordering you" stuff that helped fuel stuff.

Exactly. End result is, a (presumably) father is in jail, and a kid gets to see the police as taking dad away. Two more people hate cops more than they did before. Maybe trying to deescalate the situation wouldn't have changed their attitude. The way it ended certainly didn't help though.

The officer used way less force than what would have been legally justified. All in all, I don't have a problem with his actions.

I am curious if the driver's reference to Brown kept the cop from escalating it further.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    A few questions, who was the guy that took the drivers son out of the car and walked away with him? And why didn't the driver or the LEO say something? And a thumbs up to the guy that asked if the officer needed help and then hung around until backup arrived. But who was the woman in the blue shirt that ran up to him right as he was getting into his car? An off duty LEO checking to see if he was involved?

And I did see one thing that was most likely wrong/unconstitutional by the police, that was the search of the car. AZ v Gant pretty much ended search incident to arrest, and since they said that they were releasing the car to someone (I'm going to guess the lady that was standing with the drivers son near the end) it wouldn't work as an inventory search. Other than that the officer handled it very well with a bare minimum of force. Well I guess after asking the guy the first time to get back in the car, he could of said pretty please, and then told him if he didn't he would be forced to ask again, but nobodies perfect.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The officer used way less force than what would have been legally justified. All in all, I don't have a problem with his actions.

I am curious if the driver's reference to Brown kept the cop from escalating it further.

I don't have a problem with the encounter either. The bad actor was the driver. My comments have been more that he could have gone above and beyond, not that he should be compelled to. He did his job.

A few questions, who was the guy that took the drivers son out of the car and walked away with him? And why didn't the driver or the LEO say something?

I wondered that too. I thought that the driver may have been stopped in an area near where he lived and the person was known by him and the son. The son didn't seem to act like he didn't know the person.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I wondered that too. I thought that the driver may have been stopped in an area near where he lived and the person was known by him and the son. The son didn't seem to act like he didn't know the person.

I was thinking the same, just wondering if anyone else had any ideas. Considering the woman that I believe they were releasing the car to showed up pretty quick also.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I don't have a problem with the encounter either. The bad actor was the driver. My comments have been more that he could have gone above and beyond, not that he should be compelled to. He did his job.

My first problem with this cop was instigating a potentially violent interaction for such a stupid reason.

Secondly, I don't think that trying to de-escalate is above and beyond. It is imperative when you are the initiating party of an non-consensual encounter that, from the other guy's perspective, could easily end with him getting shot or put in a cage regardless of what he does.

And once again, this driver was certainly in the wrong for his actions as well.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My first problem with this cop was instigating a potentially violent interaction for such a stupid reason.

Secondly, I don't think that trying to de-escalate is above and beyond. It is imperative when you are the initiating party of an non-consensual encounter that, from the other guy's perspective, could easily end with him getting shot or put in a cage regardless of what he does.

And once again, this driver was certainly in the wrong for his actions as well.
    What stupid reason was that? Enforcing seat belt laws?

Top Bottom