• Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Fair enough.

I don't know what BB means. Bulletin Board? If so, then I disagree. I have made no accusations directed at the owner or the moderation staff.

As for hypocrisy, why have all the other political posts in the funny pic thread been permitted? What is it about mine that warrant special attention?

My complaint was intended to be less that only neocons are welcome than that those of us on the left are unwelcome. There are many gun owners on the left who, like me, believe in defending our 2nd Amendment rights. I certainly don't expect others to curb their political speech in the politics subforum, and I have no intention of doing so either. However, when such speech infiltrates another subforum and is allowed to stand it sends the message that said speech is endorsed by site management. As I've said before, it would be a disservice to this site to freeze out Indiana gun owners on the basis of political beliefs unrelated to firearms.

The Paullar is funny for a variety of reasons, and most of them apply to the Obama "coins" as well. The fact that many of them were sold to desperate fanboys convinced that Ron Paul would protect their right to poison themselves with colloidal silver is just a bonus. I agree that they should have been made of gold. That would've made them even more amusing.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, BB is an abbreviation I've used for "bulletin board" for years, and I thought it was fairly standard. Sorry if I confused you with it, if I did it was unintentional.

Yes, you did level accusations at Fenway and indeed, all of the mods, by saying that only certain viewpoints were allowed and that the rules were overlooked or unfairly enforced. No, you did not do so in exactly those words, but to me at least, your point was clear. You raising the issue is what merited "special attention"; I was not going to answer you in the Break Room and further derail the threads there with even more political discussion, so your post and mine got moved here to continue. As for the other politically-themed pictures in there, I'm not going back through over 90 pages of old posts at 40 posts per page just in the funny pic thread alone to remove any and every trace of political-humor. I'm also hoping, as I said, that Fenway doesn't say he wants it all enforced strictly, for all the reasons I said in another recent post.

I'm not going to sugar-coat it.. The fact is that while most if not all of the mod staff is either libertarian or some other "flavor" of conservative, though not "neocon", we are human. As such, we have our biases, and that means when we see something that is in line with our own thinking, such as the joke about the difference between a liberal, a conservative, and a conservative Southerner (look it up, I know it's on here), we are not going to see something offensive in it, where you, self-identifying as a liberal, quite possibly will. The point is that every joke pokes fun at someone and the majority of posters here consider themselves conservative, Republican, libertarian... in short, anything but leftist or liberal. This does not invalidate your views nor silence you, but it does mean that if you walk into the lion's den, you have to expect to face opposition from all sides, and you can either choose to stick around and take your lumps or you can find somewhere more in line with your own beliefs. That choice is yours to make, but we mods will not be held responsible if you decide to take your lumps and the membership here decide to give them to you on the basis of your posts. No personal attacks, but if someone lays into your argument and rips it to shreds, you have no room to complain and probably will not find many sympathetic ears if you try to cry foul.

This differs from more liberal sites, where posting a conservative viewpoint will get you personally attacked, called every name in the book and a few that aren't, and the mods will likely be among those namecalling, then banning you.

As mettle said, it's not your political beliefs that are shut out; I've had some extensive conversations with other self-identified and unapologetic liberals on here (one rather epic one stands out in my memory) and I hope the person with whom I was conversing came away from it with some measure of respect for my position at least. I know I did for his, despite neither of us actually agreeing with the other's viewpoint.

Thanks for your viewpoint on the "Paullar". While I'm not familiar with his views on colloidal silver taken internally, I think I would defend the right of adults to put whatever they choose to put in their systems voluntarily. Yes, that includes all of the so-called illegal drugs; it includes alcohol, tobacco, and for that matter, it includes hemlock and any other poison. It's about self-determination and it's about minimizing government. The latter needs to occupy a far smaller portion of our lives.

If you want a board that is tolerant of your views on firearms and those views are pro-individual gun rights, you will find it here. Hell, for that matter, those who post anti-gun views here, however infrequently, are usually met with responses based on the tone of their post. If they make it clear they speak from inexperience or ignorance, they are usually told the facts and given sources to look them up. They get opinions, too, usually labelled as such. Conversely, if they come in as a know-it-all who talks at our members and just spouts their opinion as fact, yeah, they're gonna get lambasted, especially when the facts prove them wrong.

If you find so much argument with your politics, perhaps you should choose to confine your posts to only gun-related topics... unless of course, the argument is what you're actually seeking.

Thanks again for the reply.

Blessings,
    Bill

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Well, after an extensive search I can find no reference to Ron Paul supporting the use of colloidal silver. Many instances of his supporters using it and promoting it, but nothing where Dr. Paul espouses the use of it for anything. If there's proof to the contrary, I'd certainly like to see it. As it stands I'll take this as base innuendo from a progressive who just doesn't like Dr. Paul. (That said, I am not a supporter of Ron Paul).

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    As an aside, the term "neo-conservative" is being misused here. "Neo-conservative" is a descriptive term coined by Irving Kristol (father of Bill Kristol) in the 90's for politically liberal (modern definition) people from the 50's through the 70's, mostly Jewish and Catholic, who moved to the conservative/Republican forum of thinking after JFK's and then Jimmy Carter's anti-semitic comments and actions. Irving's famous quote described a Neo-con as a "liberal who was mugged by reality".

There might be a few "neo-cons" here on INGO, but I doubt the majority of the Conservatives here were once 70's Jewish or Catholic liberals.

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    Well, after an extensive search I can find no reference to Ron Paul supporting the use of colloidal silver. Many instances of his supporters using it and promoting it, but nothing where Dr. Paul espouses the use of it for anything. If there's proof to the contrary, I'd certainly like to see it. As it stands I'll take this as base innuendo from a progressive who just doesn't like Dr. Paul. (That said, I am not a supporter of Ron Paul).

I agree that was an unsupported jab. As much as I disagree with the man's political stances, I understand he was/is a dedicated doctor and obstetrician.
    Silver is poison in large enough amounts, and while a great topical antibiotic, drinking it would be risky.

gund

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    As an aside, the term "neo-conservative" is being misused here. "Neo-conservative" is a descriptive term coined by Irving Kristol (father of Bill Kristol) in the 90's for politically liberal (modern definition) people from the 50's through the 70's, mostly Jewish and Catholic, who moved to the conservative/Republican forum of thinking after JFK's and then Jimmy Carter's anti-semitic comments and actions. Irving's famous quote described a Neo-con as a "liberal who was mugged by reality".

There might be a few "neo-cons" here on INGO, but I doubt the majority of the Conservatives here were once 70's Jewish or Catholic liberals.

The meanings of labels change, and they seldom adhere to some fixed usage as defined by the originator.

To say the term is being misused (it could be I didn't follow this thread) because its meaning does not match the meaning when used by the originator, is plain out wrong.

:twocents:

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle

Now it is a term that is used by those who think all true conservatives have migrated into libertarianism and the ones that remain loyal and active in the Republican party are somehow less dedicated or genuine or...something.

Top Bottom