• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vendetta

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Lafayette
    I have been looking for an M1 Garand, specifically a Springfield wartime built model. Does anyone know of any LGS with any of these in stock or on the rack? Im not seeing any in the Lafayette area.

Vendetta

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Lafayette
    Good luck. You do realize that they were built for at least three wars? WWII, Korea, Viet Nam.

www.odcmp.org Might be helpful......

I guess I should have specified ww2 era. The only springfield garands on cmp are specials with new barrel (ok) and new wood (not as ok) I am ok with arrebarrel whether new or 50s era, but prefer usgi wood. Thanks for the response though.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Vendetta, keep checking the CMP. They're running behind in their refurbs right now (even Garands were affected by the panic), but eventually they should start selling regular Service or Field grade rifles again. If you can be patient, the CMP is the only way to go IMHO. Best prices bar none that I've seen, plus great customer service and if you have the chance to drive up to Camp Perry, or Anniston, AL, they'll even help you pick out a good one. It's probably going to take a little while for them to get caught up though.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    A trip to the CMP North store to hand pick a Garand is about #2 on my bucket list. Good luck with your search, and I hope you find the Springfield you're looking for!

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Springfields rule, keep checking the CMP or our classifieds section here. There's not much better then shouldering a weapon from our greatest generation and drilling a target as far away as you can see.

Vendetta

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Lafayette
    A trip to the CMP North store to hand pick a Garand is about #2 on my bucket list. Good luck with your search, and I hope you find the Springfield you're looking for!

I appreciate it. Im trying hard to convince my wife that that is the best route. Its about a 4 hour drive BUT its right next to Cedar Point. That may be my ace in the hole as my wife loves roller coasters. Wish me luck!!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I appreciate it. Im trying hard to convince my wife that that is the best route. Its about a 4 hour drive BUT its right next to Cedar Point. That may be my ace in the hole as my wife loves roller coasters. Wish me luck!!
    Well there ya go!
    You: "Honey, I've been thinking... I know how you love roller coasters, so what do you say we take a trip up to Cedar Point?"
    Wife: "Oh, that would be wonderful! You're the most caring and considerate husband EVER!"
    You (after you're almost there): "Say honey, would you mind if we just make a quick stop?"
    :):

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    If you look on the CMP forums guys will give updates on the North/South Store and what is on the shelves. One day I hope to go, when CMP gets caught up. I've mail ordered 4 Garands and all were nice rifles

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    SGT7730 is right. The CMP stores are pretty bare at the moment unless you want a Special grade for close to 1K. I dont think they are even taking orders on most grades.

Have you considered going to the 1500? Ive seen several Garands over the years at decent prices there, so they are out there. Most people are asking stupid money, but I would say you could probably pick up a pretty good WW2 Garand for ~$800. Most dealers will ask an arm and a leg because they think Garands are made of gold. Look for guys walking them around.

I saw a nice 1945 one at the Greenfield show but the guy wanted $950 for it. He gave me a big speal about it.

tman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Indy Area
    I was up at Camp Perry 3 weeks ago and the shelves were empty. Some guys have success putting a yellow sticky note on their order form and requesting a certain type. It may take longer but there customer service is very good and most guys seem to eventually get what they are looking for. They have a list of rifles in boxes but never know what they look like until the open the crate.

Personally most of the M1s I have seen at gun shows seemed over priced for what you can pay the CMP for one. I never see them flying out the door either at gun shows so maybe they are looking for that special person with cash to burn. I also am not familiar with how the importers marked the rifles such as Blue Sky.

As Ckane said watch for people walking around trying to sell them.

Vendetta

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Lafayette
    Thanks guys I appreciate it. I have the.money for the right rifle, and dont mind waiting for it, but not waiting 6 months for the cmp to catch up. I may check out the 1500, i went to the local gun show (Lafayette) and there was not a single Garand. Stupid 500.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Thanks guys I appreciate it. I have the.money for the right rifle, and dont mind waiting for it, but not waiting 6 months for the cmp to catch up. I may check out the 1500, i went to the local gun show (Lafayette) and there was not a single Garand. Stupid 500.
    The Special Grades are nice. You could find out if they have any built on a Springfield receiver. Seems like the ones I've seen at the 1500 have been stupid high (like $1000-3000). Here's mine... It's a Springfield. :)

*Edit* Just went back and re-read your first couple of posts, so I guess this really wouldn't be what you're looking for (re-barrel and new stock). :ugh:

IMG_1657.jpg

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I have been looking for an M1 Garand, specifically a Springfield wartime built model. Does anyone know of any LGS with any of these in stock or on the rack? Im not seeing any in the Lafayette area.

I just thought of this...Have you visited Scott Duffs web site in your search? I suggest Scott because he is THE M1 Garand expert and if it is WWII era you are looking for...he will probably have it or have a lead on one AND it will be WWII correct inside and out. You may pay a bit more with Scott but like the old saying goes " you get what you pay for". I have personally bought Garands from him and they have been museum quality and correct. Just a thought. Good Luck.

racersden

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Evansville
    Check with Falls City Firearms in Clarksville. (812) 725-1911 talked to them a couple weeks ago he kinda specializes in the older stuff. M1's, 1903's etc.
    Gunbroker is also a good source I have bought off there and not got burned. You gotta have an idea about what you are looking for in a M1 thou. easy to get burned.

Glen

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Wasn't there a guy working out of his house in Wanamaker that specialized in vintage military arms? Someplace else to check is that surplus store south of Bloomington, name of the town slips my mind at the moment, but he's had several garands behind the counter every time I've been there. Bad thing is that from 8 feet away they looked like beaters but the price DID NOT reflect the condition.

I picked up a nice correct grade H&R and a Special from CMP about 5 years ago. Busting 3 liter Faygo bottles at ~350 yards across iron sights is both challenging and rewarding!!!:rockwoot:

Top Bottom