• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Armed-in-Carmel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2012
    Bought an sr9c in August.

First trip out had 8 FTFs out of 80 rounds with Remington UMC 115gr FMJ. Put the gun away and shot my Makarov to remember how a trustworthy gun shoots.

Took the sr9c home and lightly polished the feed ramp. The next outing the gun shot better... only 3 FTFs out 100+ rounds of a variety of good range ammo such a WWB, Blazer, etc.

Polished the feed ramp some more (to a bright shine).

Gun functioned well for a few months. Then came the trigger reset issues.

Worked on the trigger to get it loosened up. The trigger reset problems seemed to resolve.

Went to Eagle Creek Pistol Range 3 weeks ago and all of the problems were back. FTFs and trigger reset problems.

One of the range officers at ECPR said he thought the gun might be "dry" and needed better lubrication. Took the gun home and cleaned it thoroughly and oiled it more than I usually would.

Returned to ECPR the following Sunday and encountered the same problems. FTFs and trigger reset hang-ups.

Called Ruger and they were very concerned. They sent me an overnight shipping label for UPS. I shipped the gun to them on a Monday and received it back on Thursday with a note that they had replaced the trigger assembly and "repaired" the barrel. When the gun arrived back from Ruger it had scratches all over the trigger guard from rubbing against the magazines because they didn't wrap the gun properly for shipping.

Emailed them pictures of the damage and they offered their apologies and said they would replace the gun if I wanted. Trying not to be unreasonable, I declined and asked them to send me a couple of mags instead, which they agreed to.

Returned to ECPR today and the FTFs were as bad as ever. 6-7 FTFs in less than 100 rounds until I finally put the gun away and AGAIN, shot my Makarov to remember what shooting a trustworthy pistol is like.

So, in spite of how nice Ruger customer service has been, I have my first Ruger... and my last Ruger.

I hope they respond well to my request for a full refund so I can buy a 9mm EDC that I can trust.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    shoulda bought a SR1911. wouldnt have problems like you describe..

aside from being a smartie, IMHO, the 9c is one of the "lesser" quality firearms i have handled from ruger. it feels cheap in my hand, and doesnt handle like what im used to i guess.

i wouldnt give up on ruger personally. just look into a different model.

Armed-in-Carmel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2012
    shoulda bought a SR1911. wouldnt have problems like you describe..

aside from being a smartie, IMHO, the 9c is one of the "lesser" quality firearms i have handled from ruger. it feels cheap in my hand, and doesnt handle like what im used to i guess.

i wouldnt give up on ruger personally. just look into a different model.

Well... the sr1911 .45 rounds cost nearly twice what 9mm rounds cost. I was looking for a good range gun and EDC that didn't cost an arm and a leg to shoot.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    might i suggest the glock 19. moderate capacity while still maintaining ease of concealment. if i can cc a g19 at 150 pounds in a tshirt, anyone can.

Armed-in-Carmel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2012
    might i suggest the glock 19. moderate capacity while still maintaining ease of concealment. if i can cc a g19 at 150 pounds in a tshirt, anyone can.

The G19 is a little bigger than I like for concealed carry. The 6.25" to 6.75" size range is about the right length for me. My Makarov is the perfect size.

BTW: I have a Stoner 415 IWB holster for my Mak (and one for the "lemon" Ruger sr9c). Excellent holster for a nice price. Stoner Holsters is in Cincinnati.

DC47374

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Richmond, IN
    I haven't had a single solitary FtF or FtE from my SR9c. I love it. Shot about 1500 rounds through it since I got. I think your experience is highly unusual. You should take them up on their offer to replace the gun. IMHO.

castle134

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    i had the full size sr9 and never had a single issue out of it. i got rid of it to fund another purchase but my friend that i sold it to has yet to have any problems from it what so ever. maybe you got a defective one that does happen at some point cant expect a whole batch of anything to not have one bad one in it

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I owned one for a while and had zero problems with it. Sold it because I didn't like shooting it and wanted another 1911. Nothing wrong with the weapon tho. At least not with the one I had. Ruger offered to replace so I don't see the prob being with ruger overall. I have 6 other ruger firearms that are very reliable and accurate. A sample of one doesn't make a company bad IMHO.

Str8himalaya

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    I put over 500 rounds through my SR9 before I traded it with absolutely no issues, sounds like you may have just gotten a bad one. They are willing to take care of it, which is great in this day in age. Might want to at least see how a new one reacts. If not, I traded mine for a XDm 3.8, then traded for a glock 23, very similar sizes. Heard the M&P series is nice too. Good luck!

peberly400

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Warsaw
    I think you just had a lemon. I've literally shot over a dozen different Sr9s and sr9cs which all functioned perfectly. One of the guns has over 2k rounds through it.

I wouldn't let this experience ruin your trust in ruger, they have a lot of good firearms. You should have taken them up on the offer for an entire new gun.

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    My brother in law bought one a couple of weeks ago. We've put 5-600 rounds through it with no issues. Send it in for a replacement. If you're set on getting rid of it, I would still send it in for replacement so the issue doesn't get passed on to someone else. Plus you could sell it as NIB for a better price to boot. Did this with a Taurus earlier this year. Bought a M&Pc 40 and couldn't be happier.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I have had my SR9C for 3 or 4 years now and have never had a problem out of it. I am sure I have put well over 2000 rounds through it. I would agree with a couple previous posters and say you just got a lemon.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I'll side with the crowd too. I've owned both a SR9 and a SR9c and neither one ever had an issue. Sold one to my best friend and one to my dad to fund other purchases. Neither of them have had a problem with either one. I would have never sold them to people close to me if I had any doubts in them. I think you're definitely in the minority, but I understand how that would make you lose confidence in a firearm. If you like the feel of the SR9c when it works, I wouldn't give up just yet, but if you're ready to move on, I can't blame ya. FWIW, I also have three other friends with SR pistols that have never had an firing issue.

Top Bottom